Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Plus, the decision on Seuss' books was made by the Seuss Estate. If it was outside pressure there might be a little more 'there' there, but they did it themselves.
    As a librarian, I have heard many tales of book censorship, pressure from communities to remove certain books from public library collections or school library collections. Usually, those doing the pressuring are conservatives, probably Republicans.

Top 10 Most Challenged Books Lists

Top 10 Most Challenged Books of 2019

The ALA Office for Intellectual Freedom tracked 377 challenges to library, school, and university materials and services in 2019. Of the 566 books that were targeted, here are the most challenged, along with the reasons cited for censoring the books:

• George by Alex Gino
      Reasons: challenged, banned, restricted, and hidden to avoid controversy; for LGBTQIA+ content and a transgender character; because schools and libraries should not “put books in a child’s hand that require discussion”; for sexual references; and for conflicting with a religious viewpoint and “traditional family structure”
    • Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out by Susan Kuklin
      Reasons: challenged for LGBTQIA+ content, for “its effect on any young people who would read it,” and for concerns that it was sexually explicit and biased
    • A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo by Jill Twiss, illustrated by EG Keller
      Reasons: Challenged and vandalized for LGBTQIA+ content and political viewpoints, for concerns that it is “designed to pollute the morals of its readers,” and for not including a content warning
    • Sex is a Funny Word by Cory Silverberg, illustrated by Fiona Smyth
      Reasons: Challenged, banned, and relocated for LGBTQIA+ content; for discussing gender identity and sex education; and for concerns that the title and illustrations were “inappropriate”
    • Prince & Knight by Daniel Haack, illustrated by Stevie Lewis
      Reasons: Challenged and restricted for featuring a gay marriage and LGBTQIA+ content; for being “a deliberate attempt to indoctrinate young children” with the potential to cause confusion, curiosity, and gender dysphoria; and for conflicting with a religious viewpoint
    • I Am Jazz by Jessica Herthel and Jazz Jennings, illustrated by Shelagh McNicholas
      Reasons: Challenged and relocated for LGBTQIA+ content, for a transgender character, and for confronting a topic that is “sensitive, controversial, and politically charged”
    • The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
      Reasons: Banned and challenged for profanity and for “vulgarity and sexual overtones”
    • Drama written and illustrated by Raina Telgemeier
      Reasons: Challenged for LGBTQIA+ content and for concerns that it goes against “family values/morals”
    • Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling
      Reasons: Banned and forbidden from discussion for referring to magic and witchcraft, for containing actual curses and spells, and for characters that use “nefarious means” to attain goals
    • And Tango Makes Three by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson illustrated by Henry Cole
      Reason: Challenged and relocated for LGBTQIA+ content

This is why I find the whole Dr. Suess thing so hypocritical.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    As a librarian, I have heard many tales of book censorship, pressure from communities to remove certain books from public library collections or school library collections. Usually, those doing the pressuring are conservatives, probably Republicans.

Top 10 Most Challenged Books Lists

This is why I find the whole Dr. Suess thing so hypocritical.
    I get the view that it's hypocritical, but the general argument was that banning books was bad, not that conservatives had the right impulse to ban controversial material, but chose the wrong material.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

As a librarian, . . .
    In New Jersey?

Back in the last century, when I was still in high school, I use to work at the Montclair Public Library in NJ. At first I was a "page", then I moved to the circulation desk, around the time the library was introducing "zebra codes" to books and library cards.
    (That was in 1977 - 1979.)

The publishing company did not ban anything. They decided not to publish offensive material anymore.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    In New Jersey?

Back in the last century, when I was still in high school, I use to work at the Montclair Public Library in NJ. At first I was a "page", then I moved to the circulation desk, around the time the library was introducing "zebra codes" to books and library cards.
    (That was in 1977 - 1979.)
    When I was growing up in Jersey City, in the 70's, I had a few issues with the librarians in the public libraries. That didn't stop me from becoming a librarian myself.

A lot has changed since then. Including the introduction of computer cataloging to replace the card catalogs.

Ultimate Member

When I was growing up in Jersey City, in the 70's, I had a few issues with the librarians in the public libraries. That didn't stop me from becoming a librarian myself.

A lot has changed since then. Including the introduction of computer cataloging to replace the card catalogs.
    "I defeat the librarians, I must become one!"

It was like that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    "I defeat the librarians, I must become one!"

It was like that, right?
    More like, "I know I'm just a kid, but I really want to read that adult book on advanced physics. I don't want to just read the books in the kiddy section."

So I became a librarian so that I can read as many books as I want.

Mighty Member

So, I heard ex-NYT writer, Bari Weiss considers her former workplace increasingly alienating for journalists whom she says are reduced to little more than unwilling sock puppets regurgitating the talking points of the far left. Thoughts?

. . . A lot has changed since then. Including the introduction of computer cataloging to replace the card catalogs.
    Yeah, I miss those old card catalogs.
    There was so much stuff you could find by accident going through the cards that you don't find with a computerized search system. (Also, computers are less forgiving if you're not the world's greatest speller.)

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Maybe the Democratic Party needs the equivalent of a Tea Party...a strong faction within it to force it leftwards, as the Tea Party forced the Republicans to the right??

The equivalent in the UK (the Momentum group that acted to force the Labour Party left, leading to election of Jeremy Corby as Labour Leader) wasn’t really successful.

But conditions aren’t that similar in US..and US left can actually point to policies that in US are regarded as impossible fantasies ( universal health, better gun control, smaller prison populations, less dangerous policing) actually happen in other countries.
    I fully expect to get a blanket party over this: Aren't AOC and The Squad the Dem's version of The Tea Party?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I fully expect to get a blanket party over this: Aren't AOC and The Squad the Dem's version of The Tea Party?
    Nah, the thing to remember about the Tea Party was that they were in no way a grassroots or insurgent element within the GOP, from the beginning they had the backing of the major donors from the get go, and while they made a bit of a show of clashing with the established Congressional Republicans at first, they were quickly absorbed into the whole apparatus, so someone like Ted Cruz can hardly be considered an outsider. Meanwhile, the Squad gets routinely **** on by their own party and have zero chance of being put in any position of real influence, and frankly whatever momentum their movement had has already mostly petered out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    So, I heard ex-NYT writer, Bari Weiss considers her former workplace increasingly alienating for journalists whom she says are reduced to little more than unwilling sock puppets regurgitating the talking points of the far left. Thoughts?
    My thoughts: frigging lol@bari weiss.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Too bad Manchin didn't apply his high standards when he voted for Rick Grenell and Matt Kavanaugh. He's going to be a big problem with his half ass moral code.
    he had better vote in favor of the John Lewis Bill and the Floyd Police Reform bill... I'm done with "centering" the demographic that he considers himself to represent. He's a problem.

Comedian Jay Johnston, Mr. Show cast member and the voice of Jimmy Pesto on Bob’s Burgers, may have been one of the Capital rioters. Such a huge bummer if true. He was in some of my favorite Mr. Show sketches. Well, another thing I love ruined.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ja...capitol-riots/