Page 482 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 3824324724784794804814824834844854864925325829821482 ... LastLast
Results 7,216 to 7,230 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    Even when Trump has a chance to legitimately brag about something people can agree on, he doesn't. In the past 2 years, the administration admitted three national parks into the system compared to only Pinnacles being added to the entirety of the Obama administration. As we pretty much know, the crux of his time in office is all about him claiming how much better he is than Obama at everything.

Even when he could get the easy win, he fails.
    Honestly, he likely has no idea it even happened.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Considering he can't even say "Yosemite" without struggling ("Yellowstone" was another popular park he could've said that likely wasn't much of a tongue twister, despite mentioning Old Faithful), that I can easily believe.
    Last edited by GindyPosts; 08-05-2020 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I had a Jeopardy catagory this week at game night called "Thanks Obama."

Questions were:

This POTUS deported more people than any other president in US history. (Obama)
    This President has integrated more national parks into the US than Obama. (Trump)
    This POTUS was the first Republican in over 40 years to get less than 60% of the popular vote of the state of Texas. (Trump)
    This POTUS has golfed more than Obama, W. Bush, Clinton, and Bush combined. (Trump)
    This landmark piece of US human rights legislation has now been around longer than the CSA. (Gay Marriage)

The Trumpers didn't not like these answers.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I'm pretty sure he made that promise already knowing who he wanted. It was almost certainly decided ages ago.

Here's Klobuchar, who knows the score:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...f-color-329301

The reality is that his short-list was likely decided months ago, and the top name has always been the top name. Barring an unforseen development in the vetting, it is likely that the relevant people have known for months.
    From the discussions, it does seem that his short-list evolved. Karen Bass, Val Demings and Susan Rice weren't seen as major contenders in the beginning.

Earlier speculation was about Klobuchar, Whitmer, Harris and Warren.

It could very well still be Harris, but it does seem that people were seriously considered.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Biden should never have committed to picking a woman as his running mate so early on. For one thing, it framed the entire selection as finding someone to "balance" the ticket against his own very white, very male self, rather than just picking the best possible candidate who just so happened to be a woman, so the whole process just reeks of tokenism. For another, it really exposed just how few good choices he really has, which is quite distressing given that this is supposed to be the party that promotes women's interests yet they can't scrounge together more than a handful of female leaders who are ready to be one heartbeat away from the Oval Office. Whatever you think of Harris, under normal circumstances she wouldn't even be in contention since the only notable moment of her entire campaign was when she clowned Biden in that debate, the fact that she hasn't been disqualified just for that and in fact remains something of a front runner shows how few good alternatives he has right now. Stacey Abrams would have been a good choice, but she also came out publicly at one point saying she didn't want to play second fiddle to Biden. Susan Rice has never run for office before, and Demings, Bass, and Bottoms are not nationally known figures and would excite the base about as much as Tim Kaine did. Yeah he could still pick a white woman too, but the pundit sphere has been under the assumption that she'd be black for so long that it'll feel like a betrayal if she isn't, and let's not even imagine the rage that would ensue if he went back on his word and picked a man, which I'm sure he wishes he could at this point. Of course he could always do something crazy like picking Michelle Obama or something like that, guess you could praise them for being bold there but ehhhhh...
    It was probably a mistake for Biden to announce his running mate would be a woman, since it does suggest that he limited himself by excluding a majority of Governors, Senators, cabinet officials and prominent members of Congress. If he hadn't made the announcement, he could say that a female running mate held her own against Julian Castro, Cory Booker and Beto O'Rourke.

Rice does have a major advantage in demonstrating leadership during a pandemic with the Ebola crisis.

Stacey Abrams does seem eager to be Biden's running mate, but she has also only served as the leader of the minority party in a state legislature. No one with that background has ever seriously been considered.

The expectation that a running mate excite the base is a messy question. It's probably better to have the top of the ticket do that. Edwards & Palin excited their base, and were both terrible choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    There were a number of political commentators who said that when Harris’ Wiki page was seemingly professionally edited a few weeks back (it was edited 408 times in a three week span) it was a big sign that she was going to be the VP choice. For the general public, when the pick is announced, the most common source for information about the person chosen is Wikipedia.

The Intercept wrote:

In 2016, The Atlantic published an article about Wikipedia edits and how a burst of activity could foreshadow Hillary Clinton’s vice presidential pick, noting that Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine’s page had seen significantly more edits than any other candidate’s in the weeks leading up to the announcement. The article also cited a 2008 Washington Post report about Sarah Palin’s Wikipedia page seeing more than 65 edits in the hours leading up to John McCain’s announcement.

So it could be that Harris is pretty much the chosen VP but the Biden campaign wisely doesn’t want to draw media coverage away from Trump’s horrendous handling of the pandemic, his racist comments, etc. Let Trump continue to dig his own grave and delay the announcement until right before the DNC. They throw out a few new names to keep people guessing and potentially raise the political standing of those individuals in the process.

Biden is enjoying a significant lead in the the polls. A safe pick is probably the way to go right now.
    That's an interesting theory that Harris is essentially chosen, but Biden doesn't see any point to announcing it yet.

It might seem anticlimactic.

We'll probably hear more about what's going on behind the scenes later, but Biden waiting to announce a decision does make sense under other scenarios, like them not having made a decision yet, or waiting to see if there's any dirt on a less-known choice.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I'm fine with Harris but I want Duckworth.

Harris / Duckworth was a ticket I could get behind.
    Duckworth was fantastic in an episode of the New York Times' The Argument podcast. She was really good at selling the compelling aspects of her background (her status as a war hero, her concerns as a mother trying to help young children through remote learning.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    Considering he can't even say "Yosemite" without struggling ("Yellowstone" was another popular park he could've said that likely wasn't much of a tongue twister, despite mentioning Old Faithful), that I can easily believe.
    The Great TET-ins. They're huge. Used to call them the Grand TET-ins, but I said that's not good enough these are truly truly great, you have to change the name. Great TET-ins, and they said oh we don't know and I said I do, Great TET-ins, boom. Done. Now they say it's the best, the best named park they've ever had. Huge success. Now they beg me, they say, please you are so good at this, please do more. I said Grand Can Yaun? Great Can Yaun. They love it. That's what they tell me, they love it.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    A convicted criminal who literally killed people in his custody almost won his old office. People are really stupid and shitty.
    In context to this... by "people" you mean "Arizona Republican Primary Voters". And that is not an unfair analysis. These are people that Arpaio's racism appealed to them so much it was worth the price tag of the tens, if not hundreds of millions of dollars in lawsuits he cost taxpayers in police brutality by his sheriffs, or deaths that occurred in the prisons he oversaw like modern gulags.

Arpaio laid the groundwork for Trump, truly.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    In context to this... by "people" you mean "Arizona Republican Primary Voters". And that is not an unfair analysis. These are people that Arpaio's racism appealed to them so much it was worth the price tag of the tens, if not hundreds of millions of dollars in lawsuits he cost taxpayers in police brutality by his sheriffs, or deaths that occurred in the prisons he oversaw like modern gulags.

Arpaio laid the groundwork for Trump, truly.
    Is that race still ongoing? Because I hope to God Arpaio doesn't win. Why do people want him to come back to office, considering all the headaches he caused, all the money he wasted, and all the bad press he created for your county? You can be hard on crime and still treat people like human beings, not sideshow acts or farm animals. I know some folks believe all prisoners should be treated as subhuman, and well, that should be a case by case basis, not the general consensus, since most people don't commit crimes like they're supervillains or something; more like they're broke or homeless. And as for his extreme anti-immigrant policy? Well, America used to allow Mexicans access in and out of America, in which they came in, did crappy jobs like migrant farming and day labor, and would leave, but once we tightened the border, they ended up staying, and several American factors meddling in Mexican society have made it so America is more desirable for Mexicans to live here, hence the people seeking asylum, which is something an ignorant sumbitch like Arpaio ignores because he's got **** for brains. At least Milwaukee doesn't have to deal with it's miserable excuse for a DINO in David Clarke anymore, but it's a matter of time before he gets bored and wants to be an ******* again.

Besides, I learned today the man, before he became sheriff, sold rocket ship tickets for something called the "Phoenix E" that, unfortunately, has largely been lost to the mists of time. Despite the man's military history, how on earth did he manage to go from being the guy who sold rocket tours to 24 years as a crooked sheriff?

GOP working for Trump are getting Kanye West's name on ballots in several states. They think Blacks will vote for him instead of Biden.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    GOP working for Trump are getting Kanye West's name on ballots in several states. They think Blacks will vote for him instead of Biden.
    Honestly, more whites will vote for Kanye than blacks, which may backfire on Trump. Had this been a decade ago, he would definitely have a following among the African-American community, but right now, given a combination of both mental instability (yet he doesn't believe in therapy) and his idolization of the elite that betrays his infamous "George Bush doesn't care about black people" line after Hurricane Katrina, it certainly may end up resulting in uneducated white people opting to vote for the unstable black music star, either as a memetic joke or because they think he is the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Too bad it's too late for somebody to convince David Duke to get his name on the ballot in hopes of drawing millions of racist votes away from Trump!
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

As much as I would be happy about Joe Arpaio being booted, it sounds like Jerry Sheridan (the Republican frontrunner) would be more of the same from Joe, since he worked under Joe for many years. So, if elected, Sheridan would merely enforce Arpaio's practices with the benefit of being a few years younger.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I had a Jeopardy catagory this week at game night called "Thanks Obama."

Questions were:

This POTUS deported more people than any other president in US history. (Obama)
    This President has integrated more national parks into the US than Obama. (Trump)
    This POTUS was the first Republican in over 40 years to get less than 60% of the popular vote of the state of Texas. (Trump)
    This POTUS has golfed more than Obama, W. Bush, Clinton, and Bush combined. (Trump)
    This landmark piece of US human rights legislation has now been around longer than the CSA. (Gay Marriage)

The Trumpers didn't not like these answers.
    They probably got excited for the first one, but then squirmed more and more with each successive question.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    They probably got excited for the first one, but then squirmed more and more with each successive question.
    That was my goal.

They didn't like the the first one, either.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

According to tweets the NY AG plans to announce something tomorrow. Its already revealed that NY AG is going after Trump's bank records and has gotten them.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/05/polit...ion/index.html
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Just had a thought- I wonder if Trump will use the Corona virus as an excuse not to debate Biden.