Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    There are only a few things we can do at this point.

Protest is one, yes. The next is look for organizations already supporting women and support them as they build to protect women in the current situation, and then support them. As the GOP passes laws to criminalize women seeking health care, we will need to engage in civil disobedience whenever possible to protect them, and we can no longer afford to continue to bow to the threats of domestic terrorism. We must also turn out in every election from now on, in numbers, to continually to protect the critically vulnerable women and minorities that the GOP must continue to target to continue energizing their own sadistic base for as long as we can.

People seem to think that you elect someone, shout 'do something', and things change. It doesn't work like that. People think this has an ending -- it doesn't. This *never ends*.
    It took the Republican Party 50 years of pushing supposed "pro-life" candidates to wipe out Roe.

It's going to take the Democratic Party some time to flip that the other direction. I know Ireland reversed course within six years after a woman died in a high-profile case causing outrage...

The GOP already have proven to be a cult unmoved by preventable deaths. They show that after every mass shooting, they showed it and continue to show it in simple methods to prevent Covid-19 like masks & vaccines. Conservatism has rejected empathy and respect for life outside of the womb.

But it took them just under a half century to flip it. Democrats are going to need to assail them from the other direction this election, and every election until that changes, and so does the Supreme Court's makeup. And that, given the three Trump just put in place... we're talking about the retirement of Alito & Thomas most likely while Democrats control the White House & Senate... even if the Supreme Court gets expanded by 2 justices... we're looking at 6-10 years, minimum.

But it's been past time to reject the Republican Party since 2010, for all the damage they've done to this nation, and continue to do.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

A guy on one of the few other websites I frequently use was arguing that US is so fundamentally divided in what it wants that he feels there is a case for splitting it into separate countries (North and South?).

He certainly felt “tinkering” is not going to be enough: he genuinely felt there was a danger of civil war.

Surely way over-pessimistic??

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    A guy on one of the few other websites I frequently use was arguing that US is so fundamentally divided in what it wants that he feels there is a case for splitting it into separate countries (North and South?).

He certainly felt “tinkering” is not going to be enough: he genuinely felt there was a danger of civil war.

One guy's take...

The actual money that is buying both sides will put a whole battleship full of bodies into the ground before anything like that actually comes to pass.

They have put way too much time and money into owning the current status quo to allow a whole other one to come to pass.

Results showed that Republicans downplayed Trump’s unethical behavior, but this was related to his identity advancement and not related to his group prototypicality. Trump losing the election did not increase his follower’s beliefs that he behaved unethically or decrease their perception of his group prototypicality or identity advancement. Additionally, participants did perceive Trump’s behavior as less unethical than the same behaviors in a neutral subject. This was significant for all 3 behaviors studied including nepotism, sharing of false information, and abuse of power.

“The extent to which group members downplay the transgressive behavior of their leader has worrying implications for leadership,” the researchers said. “Ultimately, it appears that devout followers are willing to explain away even the most serious breaches of law and morality by their leaders. As the US Capitol riots illustrate, the rationalization of a leader’s transgressive behavior and continued support for them can culminate in serious attacks on democracy and social order.”

This study made important progress in understanding how base followers justify and interpret transgressive behavior. Despite this, it has limitations. This study focuses solely on Donald Trump, a very controversial politician. Arguably, there has never been a more divisive president in the United States. These results would potentially not generalize using a different politician. Additionally, very salient events occurred between waves 2 and 3, including the Capitol riots and attempt to overturn the election, which is difficult to control for.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wel...7f4243713f0d84

Mighty Member

*yawn* so I periodically check this thread to see if anything is different and....not really. Same old THE GOP ARE EVIL AND DEMOCRATS ARE NON EVIL WHITE KNIGHTS BECAUSE...PROGRESS IS THE ONLY WAY" So, in short, no compromise no healthy dialogue, more mudslinging towards Republicans. Very one sided.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    *yawn* so I periodically check this thread to see if anything is different and....not really. Same old THE GOP ARE EVIL AND DEMOCRATS ARE NON EVIL WHITE KNIGHTS BECAUSE...PROGRESS IS THE ONLY WAY" So, in short, no compromise no healthy dialogue, more mudslinging towards Republicans. Very one sided.
    By all means, take up the torch to defend them. This tired old style of post from you just proves you can't defend the indefensible in a way that won't make you look ridiculous so you settle for this kinda of silly drive-by sneer that conservatives on this board frequently do.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 06-26-2022 at 04:14 AM.

For ya'll complaining about the Dems singing:

https://twitter.com/Wilson__Valdez/s...84820510777345

Shocked, I tell you, shocked that some folks got taken in by reflexetive ****-democratness.
    I was wrong on this. I was taken in by all the reports.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I was wrong on this. I was taken in by all the reports.
    Happens to all of us. <3

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    It took the Republican Party 50 years of pushing supposed "pro-life" candidates to wipe out Roe
    Gotta admit, they do fight for the values they believe in.

Party A

Rips away the rights of woman.

Passes voter restriction laws

Has people in their party running for office that openly talk of murdering LTGBQ citizens

Has supporters that attack the capital while chatting Hang Mike Pence and building gallows.

Passes laws to take childten away from the Parents of Trangender child for getting them medical care

Takes the view that children murdered is school as "It's Mercia. These thing happen." Shrug

Party B

Wants to Protect LTGBQ rights

Passes laws in states they control to protect womans rights

Wants to make sure voting is more accessible for every citizen

Wants common sense gun control so children are not murdered in schools and a racist ******* doesnt kill people shoping for food.

Yes party B is just the same and they are monsters!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Happens to all of us. <3
    Thank you for posting the real story.

It is funny how the GOP Cult get angry.

"Stop pointing out all the evil **** my part does. Stop pointing out all the ways they are destroying the country. Stop point out we are racist Home/transphopic hate mongers. That is not fair!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Gotta admit, they do fight for the values they believe in.
    They are easily manipulated. The GOP have been claiming the dems want to remove the 2nd amendment while the GOP are actually removing rights of people.

Whats funny is how the GOP claims they want the states to decide things. Like in the case of Abortion it should be on the state. States rights because the people in that state know what they want and need more then the Feds.

Yet when it comes to gun laws like the one in New York the SC struck down. "We cant have that! We need to put a stop to what that state is doing."

And the same group who claim it is up to the states to decide on Abortion are also the ones talking about sending more people to DC so they can pass a federal law because too many states still have it as a legal option.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    I can't help but wonder if resistance to the idea is just because Americans simply don't like being told what to do? Perhaps it's viewed by that 70% as an "assault on their liberty" to be forced to do something, even if it benefits them.
    That's exactly it. Same reason it's so hard to pass reasonable firearm regulations that the majority of even gun owners and NRA members when polled back as common-sense measures. Same reason people acted like children when asked to wear a mask and keep some distance from others, and god help them if they were going to take a shot. Nobody's the villain of their own story, but the majority of the motivation behind conservative thinking is not growing beyond that 5-year-old mindset of not wanting to be told what to do and not wanting to share what's theirs (taxes).

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I wish Biden would have said what we are all thinking.

He was asked if he thought the SC was Broken. He answered I think they made a terrible decision.

Fucking sack up and say what most people in the country and you base is saying.

The SC is Broken! Say it! Stop playing nice!
    True or not, good messaging or not, when you go down the road of actively and vocally undermining another branch of the US Government with the bully pulpit of the Presidency you're going to be undermining Democracy itself. As another poster said, that's Trump's bag. Biden has good points and bad, and one of his points that straddles both sides is his life spent as part of the system which fuels his belief in it. At least as it is in theory, though clearly increasingly since at least Reagan not in practice. I don't think he's going to choose to weaken it, even if he thinks in some cases it might be the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Biden immediately promised that they will protect the rights of women from red states to travel to blue states to have an abortion. Democrats in the House has already passed the passed by a 218-to-211 vote the Women’s Health Protection Act, with zero Republican votes.
    But sure, the song upset you. Singing in protests is a time honored tradition that Millennials find cringe. Carry on attacking Democrats over cringe.
    If criticism is warranted then criticism should be given. We can walk and chew gum at the same time, and nobody who gives the situation any serious thought (beyond wanting to shut down any criticism or pushback on their favored narrative) believes a group of singing fools is equivalent to a Party and the highest Court in the land with a strong conservative bias eroding the rights and bodily autonomy of the women of this country. So pretending that they are is dishonest, and should be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

It's what many conservatives want, hopefully 50 independent nations with a loose affiliation or at least regional blocs that have their own laws and cultures (preferably white/christian/hetero/"traditional" ones). It's also what China, Russia, North Korea, Iran, etc. would also like to see. The implosion and marginalization of the "Evil Empire".

I'd like to think it's not going to happen, but we're clearly closer to that outcome than we were 20 years ago. There are a few paths from here. Cynically there's a part of me that wouldn't mind New England being absorbed into Canada. At least we'd have better healthcare, though I'd have to pretend to care about hockey.

Then, as we keep saying, have the courage to stand up and be the change you want to see. Make points. Link information supporting your claims. Add to the debate. Or, do drive-by criticisms with little substance. But as I've said before to you, if you do that you really shouldn't expect to be taken seriously or even responded to.