Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Montana was pretty conservative to begin with. Trump won the state 56.8% to 41.41%, so even if one district is a little more conservative, most methods of sorting the state will result in two districts that usually go for Republicans.

There is a bit of a question of what type of Californians are moving to Montana. It may be that more conservative Californians are moving to this state, while progressives would prefer Nevada or the cities of Texas.
    Montana elected a democratic governor four years ago. Montana has a democratic US senator. Jon Tester has been the only member of the Democratic Party to hold statewide office in Montana. Senator Tester is not as conservative as Joe Manchin.

Montana did vote for Bill Clinton.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Montana elected a democratic governor four years ago. Montana has a democratic US senator. Jon Tester has been the only member of the Democratic Party to hold statewide office in Montana. Senator Tester is not as conservative as Joe Manchin.

Until 2020, we'd had a Democratic governor for the past 16 years. And we've had one Democratic Senator for even longer. But since the Republican Party morphed into the GQP, most of our right-of-center residents have gotten predictably nuttier. I have mixed feelings about Tester. One the one hand, the man is smart enough to know how to win reelection as a Democrat in Montana. On the other hand, the complete and noticeable lack of any of public support for his party colleagues that ran for governor, House, and Senate in 2020 likely contributed to them losing all of those races.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    You know the right's fixation with AOC borders on some demented stalker-crush. I guess they can't stand the reality-check. Marjorie Taylor Greene is a blonde white woman who is a daughter of a millionaire, inheriting from her Dad's construction company while AOC is a working-class Latina who had to work by the bootstraps to get as far as she has, earning the respect and support of her generation in two years, all on her own. The reality that somebody embodies the American ideal better than them, who's also smarter, more pleasant, more charismatic, and yes more beautiful than them, is too much for them to handle.
    She checks a lot of boxes on their (white Christian) hate form. She's female, minority, speaks her mind (in ways contrary to what white male hegemony dictates), and wants for all Americans to be treated equally and have the same opportunities (or a close proximity thereof) as one another.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    So, this would be the equivalent of Dr. Richard Dawkins debating Ray Comfort. In this case, AOC would be Dawkins which really says how far down the scale Greene is.

The only problem is that the same ignoramuses that would seriously believe Comfort won such a debate would perceive Greene winning it.
    Power with Girl is better.

Voting for Clinton doesn't quite matter, as there are many voters too young to have ever backed Clinton.

Montana has had Democratic Governors, although that isn't necessarily very unique. Governors are allowed to be independent of national policy. There is also literature suggesting that small states are more susceptible to gifted politicians.

Jon Tester is probably one of the most underrated Senators in terms of pure political talent. He has consistently run in good years for Democrats, but he still does better than expected for a federal candidate from his state. He's probably one of the most effective campaigners in the country.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

We could consider the overall financial benefits for everyone who gets vaccinated.

It might be more worthwhile than assistance.
    I doubt it. It might boost vaccination rates marginally, but unless they have the supplies necessary to handle the influx of vaccinations by the May 26 deadline, most of the prizes will likely go to those who were already going to get or have already gotten the vaccinations anyways.

Who knows, maybe it will pay off. $5 million is probably a relatively small percent of their entire COVID relief package and maybe they were seeing a sharp decline in new vaccination appointments. I'm all for experimenting with small sums of money (as governments go) and seeing what works! ****, I hate when I second guess myself and find myself agreeing with you even somewhat!
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    A certain amount of reasoned skepticism is valid and welcome. That much I agree with.

The truth is "defund the police" was an activist slogan spontaneously generated by the people. It wasn't something created by Marxist thinkers that AOC and her friends then decided to introduce with cookies at a slumber party or something.

To me complaining about "Defund the Police" is like complaining about the rain, it's not something you control anymore than anyone really controlled the Stonewall Riots which founded the modern LGBTQ movement. And claiming that "Defund the Police" is out of touch with the people ignores the fact that this was a spontaneous demand from protests, very much ground-up directed. That it's politically not convenient for the Democrat party is neither here/there in terms of efficacy and messaging. But again they don't get to dictate/demand how activists work. Does this mean that all activism is good or welcome or can't make mistakes? Of course not.

But the fact is the global left has given up organized revolutionary parties, we all decided that model which led to Bolshevism, Comintern and so on, where you had revolutionary parties policing, controlling activism and activists, and in the case of Stalin, killing activists he disliked/saw as a threat and so on. We all decided spontaneous movements were the way of the future since it alone had legitimacy and authenticity. So again, this is what you all signed up for. The Democrat party, and the Labour party for that matter, can't act like the Bolsheviks when it's convenient to them, and not be Bolshevik when push comes to shove.
    I agree it was a spontaneous movement, and one that had popular support initially, but whether it was a spontaneous way to phrase the solution or a cleverly crafted phrase by a right-wing troll that unfortunately caught on "Defund the Police" as a message had the opposite effect it was trying to have and ultimately killed a good bit of its support by making a lot of those (again, who have the privilege of not having to make these issues a priority) who might otherwise have been on board stop and question it. That's all you need. I think it's a valid criticism and a lesson to be learned for all activists, whether they plan for years or spontaneously get involved. That doesn't need to be controlled by a central party, that should be a logical conclusion for educated/thinking adults to come to from observation and an interest in making things better. We can always behave poorly, but you don't get a pass because your anger is justified or righteous. Like the old phrase goes, "You're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem".

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    The 'democrat' party. *sigh*
    Yeah, caught myself saying it once and loudly corrected myself. They're good.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    If you're going to get that caught up on those last two letters being that important?

You've probably lost the plot just as completely as folks who are going with "Democrat..." Party.

Years down the line, no one is going to care if it was "Democratic..." or "Democrat.."

It will be about what they did or did not do with the opportunity that voters gave them.
    Because the intent is the idea that the Democratic Party shouldn't be labeled as such because as a Trumper might say, "IT AIN'T!!!!" Stupid distinction, and does sound stupid as well, but that's not necessarily a bad thing in right-wing politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The Military Revolt Against Joe Biden

Well, if there was One Michael Flynn, it shouldn't be surprising that there would be many more just like him.

I'm doing a Google search on this and one thing that was listed but that I didn't click on was Stormfront, and as expected the brief blurb begins by referring to them as Heroes. I think that every person who signed that letter should be investigated by the FBI for possible connections to extremists.
    You had retired generals doing the same thing with Trump and his abuses of power. You have people who care about their country deeply, whether I agree with their politics or not, and are just as subject to conspiracy thinking and other nonsense as anyone else. When you add that to the lionization of the military post-9/11 their bad takes have extra power compared to rank-and-file Republican voters but until they actually do something aside from writing/talking I'd say let them have their bad takes.

I'm not sure this statement is unusually crazy for Lin Wood. Guy's kinda nuts.

We don't really know what the political environment will be in a few years.

There are a few who seem to want to run who would currently not hint that they want to run against Trump: Mike Pence, Ron DeSantis, Marco Rubio, Rick Scott (lotta Florida guys), former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, former South Carolina Governor/ UN Ambassador Nikki Haley,

Liz Cheney does not seem afraid to challenge Trump in a primary. Neither does Maryland Governor Larry Hogan.

There are going to be all sorts of considerations in two years when people enter presidential primaries. What will the situation be for Trump after two years of investigations, and two years off Facebook and Twitter? Politics also seems to be in a bit of a holding pattern, because Biden's just getting started (hasn't even announced most ambassadors to countries yet), and because the populace is still getting vaccinated. Things will soon be very different, when we find out what the new normal is, and get into new political disagreements.

This reminds me of the military personnel insisting Macron is ruining France.

It probably comes down to retired generals and flag officers being a group that leans older and conservative, in addition to there being so many that the 124 writing the equivalent of a pissed off Facebook post "Biden is senile and pushing us to a Marxist form of tyrannical government!” represent a small percentage.

Montana was pretty conservative to begin with. Trump won the state 56.8% to 41.41%, so even if one district is a little more conservative, most methods of sorting the state will result in two districts that usually go for Republicans.

There is a bit of a question of what type of Californians are moving to Montana. It may be that more conservative Californians are moving to this state, while progressives would prefer Nevada or the cities of Texas.

What does doing OK in the midterms mean?

Parties tend to lose seats in midterm elections, and Democrats have the narrowest Senate majority possible, as well as a narrow House majority.
    We didn't do as well as we ought to have winning the White House last year, but I do believe we'll have turned a corner with the virus and the economy by the time people show up to the ballot box. So I am optimistic. Could end up being seriously disappointed, but I think conditions on the ground/at the kitchen table matter more than typical cycle trends. Nothing about politics has been normal for at least 5 years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    ...or a cleverly crafted phrase by a right-wing troll...
    Unless you have evidence for the latter, there's no point spreading conspiracy theories from the left. If you have reason to suggest why that might be the case, please present evidence otherwise I must ask you to withdraw that accusation. People who make claims bear the burden of proof. Extraordinary claims carry an higher burden than otherwise.

"Defund the Police" as a message had the opposite effect it was trying to have
    There's no meaningful evidence, at least electorally to suggest it did. This article points out that electorally it didn't make any real dent:
    https://www.thenation.com/article/po...ng-the-police/

.... and ultimately killed a good bit of its support by making a lot of those (again, who have the privilege of not having to make these issues a priority) who might otherwise have been on board stop and question it.
    To which I say, in the words of Richard Nixon in SECRET HONOR:

If people, educated adults of voting age, are so easily cheesed off by a slogan that they cannot overcome their curiosity, then those folks are never allies to start with.

From an electoral perspective in a 2-party system with FPTP obviously messaging is important and so on but again that's not the fault of the activists.

Like the old phrase goes, "You're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem".
    Hmmm...this quotation came from BLM George Floyd protestors who went out marching and started the biggest protest movement in the 1960s creating a groundswell of public support and anger (none of which has faded) for creating some of the first meaningful police reforms in decades.

So I question this assertion, this hiding behind flimsy proverbs, which implies that the people who formed this slogan or used the slogan in 2020 weren't part of the solution. Let's be clear the Democrat Party are not the protagonists or main characters of the story for the struggle against police brutality. Activists have mobilized at multiple levels for decades with and without the support of the party functionaries.

Unless the Democrats are willing to become the Bolshevik party and Comintern and start policing and micromanaging or dictating activist movements, they have no grounds to criticize the latter.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 05-13-2021 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post

Because the intent is the idea that the Democratic Party shouldn't be labeled as such because as a Trumper might say, "IT AIN'T!!!!" Stupid distinction, and does sound stupid as well, but that's not necessarily a bad thing in right-wing politics.

Long story short...

If someone is taking a look at every single thing that is happening right now and that seems like even the littlest bit of a priority?

It may very well be time to take a step back and seriously rethink things.

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    She checks a lot of boxes on their (white Christian) hate form. She's female, minority, speaks her mind (in ways contrary to what white male hegemony dictates), and wants for all Americans to be treated equally and have the same opportunities (or a close proximity thereof) as one another.
    It's nowhere near as complicated as all of that.

She is there just to clock in and do the job.

That all by it's lonesome is a threat to every person who has no intention of ever being there just to actually do the job.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Robert L. Caslen resigns as the president of University of South Carolina due to plagiarizing someone else's speech. He is a former US Army general and superintendent of West Point.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bob-cas...na-plagiarism/
    From Caslen's Wikipedia page:
    Caslen recently co-authored The Character Edge: Leading and Winning with Integrity,
    Right.

This was from 2019, there was controversy about him being hired because, surprise, he has ties to Donald Trump.

U of South Carolina hires retired general with Trump ties

1 of 4
    University of South Carolina alumni and employee Meghan Haxton listens as a student leader talks to protesters angry after the University of South Carolina selected retired Army general Robert Caslen as its new president in Columbia, South Carolina, on Friday, July 19, 2019. Students, professors and donors protested Caslen, saying he wasn't qualified, didn't know much about the university and the selection process had become too political. (AP Photo / Jeffrey Collins)

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Trustees at the University of South Carolina ended a divisive search for a new president by hiring a retired Army general with ties to President Donald Trump.

Shortly after Friday’s 11-8 vote to hire Robert Caslen, students and others who had been silently protesting outside the board room began shouting “Shame!”

Student and faculty leaders opposed had Caslen because they said he was unqualified for the post and knew little about the school. The university’s top two living donors asked trustees not to vote Friday, worried the process had become too political.

He had the support of McMaster and Republican lawmakers who suggested he could bring federal programs to the school and a share of federal money. Caslen was interviewed by Trump as a finalist for national security adviser in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    They're afraid that she may run for President a decade from now, so they have to scramble to trick people into hating her without even knowing why the way they did for Hilary Clinton.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Former Staffer Sues US Rep. Doug Lamborn, R-ColoAlleging ‘Reckless' Approach to COVID-19 and widespread self-serving

Man, if even a fraction of that is true...

The lawsuit also said the congressman allowed his son to live in a storage space in the basement of the Capitol for weeks when his son was relocating to Washington.

According to the lawsuit, “Lamborn did not require employees in the District Office to wear masks, claiming that he would not allow House Leadership to dictate how he ran his office, and he did not permit all employees to social distance. Worse, when Lamborn and other senior members of his staff became infected with COVID-19 in the fall of 2020, Lamborn refused to implement or follow reasonable and responsible COVID-19 protocols.”

Pope’s suit alleges Lamborn called the virus “a hoax” during staff meetings in April 2020. By October 2020, a series of employees would become infected with COVID-19, according the suit. Lamborn reportedly tested positive in November 2020, according to the suit and multiple media reports.

The suit said Lamborn slept in his DC office during the same time period in which some of his D.C. staff had tested positive for the virus in October, during a week of votes in the US House.

Pope’s lawsuit includes a series of other allegations against the 8-term Republican from Colorado’s 5th Congressional District. Some of the allegations do not involve the office’s response to the pandemic.

The suit also alleges Lamborn staff were asked to perform personal tasks for the congressman.

Pope also alleges, “Staff were compelled to give Christmas and birthday gifts to Representative Lamborn and his wife.”

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Oh, WBEEEEEEEE....!

====================

Kevin McCarthy Now Willing To Meet With Shunned Capitol Police Officer About Riot

“I experienced the most brutal, savage ... combat of my entire life,” said Capitol Police Officer Michael Fanone, who’s angry the GOP wants to rewrite history. I suspect that meeting will be one-sided, what with Craven Kevin paying lip service to Fanone. Meanwhile....

GOP Still Blocking An Inquiry Into The Jan. 6 Pro-Trump Attack On Democracy

Republicans insist that a commission on the assault on the Capitol that Trump incited in an attempt to hold on to power also look at Black Lives Matter and antifa. Talk about nonsense!

Kroger CEO Cut Workers’ COVID-19 Hazard Pay, Grabbed Record $22.4 Million Package Himself

Now Kroger is closing stores where communities are requiring hazard pay. In a word----disgusting!

Florida Officials Reportedly Steeling For A Trump Extradition Block By Gov. Ron DeSantis

Florida law would let the governor intervene if Manhattan D.A. Cy Vance Jr. seeks to extradite Trump after his investigation into possible banking and tax fraud. No wonder Trump moved to Florida, knowing that DeathSantis would protect him.

Joe Manchin Throws Democrats’ Voting Rights Push Into Turmoil

The West Virginia senator does not support his party’s top legislative priority on voting. Republicans also don’t like his preferred legislative alternative. What does it say that NEITHER side likes what Manchin is doing?

GOP Pushes Conspiracy Theory That Kamala Harris, Not Joe Biden, Runs The White House

Right-wing media figures have tried to suggest that the president is senile and Harris is the person actually pulling the strings. Lord have mercy! Qpublicans have SERIOUSLY gone off the rails!
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 05-14-2021 at 01:16 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Congressional Democrats have a 100% vaccination rate

The answer, among Democrats across both chambers, is a 100% vaccination rate. For Republicans, it's a different story -- with at least 44.8% of House members vaccinated and at least 92% of senators.

In a follow-up to a March House-wide survey and interviews with members, CNN has confirmed that 312 of the 431 members of the House -- just over 72% of the 431-member body -- have now received a Covid-19 vaccination. Of that, all 219 House Democrats have reported being vaccinated. Among the Republican conference, 95 of the 212 members -- 44.8% -- have said they are vaccinated.

One hundred and twelve Republican offices did not respond to multiple CNN inquires.

One House Republican, Rep. Tom Massie of Kentucky, said he is not vaccinated.
    "The Pfizer and Moderna trials showed no benefit from the vaccine for those previously infected, so I will not be taking the vaccine," Massie said in a statement to CNN.

Both clinical trial and real-life data finds the mRNA vaccines are more than 95% effective at preventing severe Covid-19 illness, hospitalizations and death.
    All 50 members of the Senate Democratic caucus are fully vaccinated against Covid-19, according to interviews with those senators and a CNN review of their public statements.

On the Republican side, 46 of 50 senators report being vaccinated, while two won't publicly announce their vaccine status and two others -- Ron Johnson of Wisconsin and Rand Paul of Kentucky -- are refusing to get vaccinated, arguing they already got the disease and therefore don't need it.
    Rand Paul, the guy who has made it his life's work to prove he is smarter than Dr. Anthony Fauci. [hint: He isn't]

Last edited by Tami; 05-14-2021 at 05:36 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.