Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    And here we have the dogma of our day some sort of epistemological and unassailable status given to the experience of a class or identity rather than rational context. To put it most reductively: propositional knowledge doesn’t exist out there, in a disembodied or generic form, to be discovered intact, but rather our subjective, embodied, and socially determined experience. Our race, our gender, our social class, our sexual identity, and other determinants of both our experience of the world and how others, in turn, interact with us shape our understanding. It is no surprise that this reservation system of privilege and counter privilege is being called post-Liberlism as it undermines universality. It should give anyone pause when the word policing is used to describe norms.
    You'll have to forgive me if I don't take the advice of someone who repeatedly posts conspiracy theories whose origins trace back to white nationalists as a valid opinion on whats appropriate to say about marginalized groups.

I'm listening to the transgender people who have concerns for their literal safety if people can demonize them freely without push back of any kind.

So do us all a favor and save it.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Ultimate Member

No, there absolutely are ways to make jokes about the trans community, without it being hateful. You can mock how confusing and "gray" the gender identity and sexual attraction of trans folk can be ... because, that really is confusing, and if you move in trans spaces, some joke about it, themselves. You can mock ideas about what it means to be a man or a woman, because that also is not perfectly clear, and even trans folk have disagreements about it. Like, can you be a butch trans woman or a femme trans man? Lots of people would argue about either of those, but it's totally possible ... and there is humor to be found in it. There is humor to be found in/about the trans community. But making jokes from the outside, with hatred/derision towards anyone who does not match your own personal ideas about what gender should be ... that's where it is problematic, and that's where it is not cool, for someone with a platform as large as Dave Chappelle's, to decide this is a group that's defenseless and powerless enough, that they can just say whatever they want, without suffering any real consequence for it.
    The only people that can make these kind of jokes and not get blow back are trans people themselves.

Anyone outside that community that attempts this will most definitely experience blow back.

And some of it justified because why joke about something that one doesn't fully understand?

I mean, if you don't believe that the cis can manage a funny trans joke, you need to look no furhter than this transgender woman's story:

https://teddit.net/vids/koqoenwvu6171.mp4

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The only people that can make these kind of jokes and not get blow back are trans people themselves.

Anyone outside that community that attempts this will most definitely experience blow back.

And some of it justified because why joke about something that one doesn't fully understand?
    Speaking of this....in my Youtube feed a CNN interview with a transgender comedian Flame Monroe appeared. Again due to subject matter mentioned will not link it here. But Monroe is supporting Chappelle. Discussing how Chappelle went after the Asian community , Jewish and more in his special. Also laughing a lot at Daphne's reply back to an audience member. (The CNN reporter tried....tried to get a juicy negative comment and Monroe wouldn't give it to her if anyone pulls up interview) .
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Edit: screwed up post.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 10-19-2021 at 10:48 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I mean, if you don't believe that the cis can manage a funny trans joke, you need to look no furhter than this transgender woman's story:

https://teddit.net/vids/koqoenwvu6171.mp4
    I'll admit that is a pretty lame joke. However, I do often wonder why some transgender women choose to give themselves such over-the-top names like Jubilee if they dress like a normal woman in an office. I mean, if they dress like a contestant on Ru Paul's Drag Race, I get it, but if you work in an office and dress in relatively conservative women's office wear, why not a more normal name like Linda or Mary?

(Now, you see, that's what I would consider a joke that pokes fun at an absurdity of the trans community without denying their right to exist as women.)
    Watching television is not an activity.

I pointed to the situation because the example in front of us with Powell was a question of if he did enough to protect his person from the virus. Going to and from treatments, attending events... it isn't like it is just a cloud of bad luck descended upon him and gave him the virus. Staying home and securing facilities for the immune compromised is a matter of personal safety that all the messaging about the vax is disconnected from. The dumb thing here is thinking that doing the "right thing" for public safety was going to personally protect him.

Not being a fan of Powell to begin with this just unscored his status as Grand Dupe of failed policies. From the WMDs to the retarded Pottery Barn policy his one time integrity and token status has been used to ill purpose so it is no surprise that Covid policy showed up as a fatal flaw.
    Herman Caine would be the more accurate “Grand Dupe of failed policies”.

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I'll admit that is a pretty lame joke. However, I do often wonder why some transgender women choose to give themselves such over-the-top names like Jubilee if they dress like a normal woman in an office. I mean, if they dress like a contestant on Ru Paul's Drag Race, I get it, but if you work in an office and dress in relatively conservative women's office wear, why not a more normal name like Linda or Mary?

(Now, you see, that's what I would consider a joke that pokes fun at an absurdity of the trans community without denying their right to exist as women.)
    The only two transgender women I knew reasonably well both had completely ordinary names.

Indeed one was so ordinary in most ways that it was only when she died that it became generally known she’d been born a man. (Certainly I was surprised, and had worked with her as close colleagues for over 10 years.)

there is no unified antivax pov so you are off base - some are against it out of paranoia, some are vax sceptics, some have pre-existing conditions and others already had the infection, some simply believe that choice is as important as life and death.
    It is a disconnected as the Public good vs private safety arguments for logic.
    There doesn’t need to be a unified anti-vaxination POV.
    Other than the people with health issues the rest fall under the banner of illegitimate. That’s the only category relevant to the situation.

So basically vaccine or no he could well have died from Covid in any case...which is what the Anti-vaxers have been saying about the need for the compromised to think of personal safety not public safety.
    Absolving themselves of responsibility by putting the onus of risk on the most vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    And came back for $60 mil...
    I know, that's why it sucks that the overall tone of his comedy has become this kind of bitter complaining -- focused on an oppressed minority group, no less.

Like, you make a living as an artist, a performer -- something many, many people aspire to and will never achieve. You don't just make a living doing it either, but have been wildly successful, you literally rich and famous. Really sucks that you are apparently unhappy about it, somehow.

And that's just it, I kind of think that if he was maybe just more content with life in general, then maybe he could take some feedback from the trans community with better grace than he has.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Absolving themselves of responsibility by putting the onus of risk on the most vulnerable.
    How is it absolution to point out that Transmission happens regardless of vax status. https://www.newyorker.com/news/annal...-covid-cluster

Breakthroughs and the unvaccinated simply by age (too young to qualify) are just few examples that a flattening of the curve is not the same as eradication which would be the only protection for the immune suppressed.

Logically they are to look to themselves as the first line of defense from a chronic condition that we exist in.

How is it absolution to point out that Transmission happens regardless of vax status. https://www.newyorker.com/news/annal...-covid-cluster

Breakthroughs and the unvaccinated simply by age (too young to qualify) are just few examples that a flattening of the curve is not the same as eradication which would be the only protection for the immune suppressed.

Logically they are to look to themselves as the first line of defense from a chronic condition that we exist in.
    Vax rates seem to be around 65 percent in the population. I'd take the whole "personal responsibility" angle more seriously if I were ever, ever in a store and saw anywhere close to 35 percent of the people wearing masks. Instead, I see practically no one wearing masks and know that 35 percent of them are dishonest, anti-vax liars.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

They do take all necessary precautions their particular means allow. Why alledge they aren’t?
    We’re all aware that being vaccinated doesn’t necessarily prevent all people from infection. It does lessen the viral load once infected and lessens the severity of the symptoms which means less coughing and sneezing, both of which mean less likelihood of transmission in public spaces. The lessening of symptoms also means less people in the hospital which, coincidentally is where many at risk people with severe diseases spend a lot of their time. Children with cancer for instance.
    But yeah, the people we need to sympathize with are the idiots who believe Nicky Minage’s cousins friend.

California now only state to improve to 'moderate' level of COVID transmission, CDC says

California, which has some of the strictest mask and vaccination mandates in the country, has improved to a "moderate" rate of transmission for COVID-19, the only one of the 50 states to drop to that level, according to the latest CDC data.

Is it possible that the mask and vaccine mandates work? Hmmm. If only someone had been telling us this from the beginning.