Page 110 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 10601001061071081091101111121131141201602106101110 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 75153
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

It's not like Spongedon Whinepants' First Amendment rights are threatened (which clearly isn't the case), he just hates that his endless lies are finally being challenged, so he's acting out like the butthurt infant he is when he doesn't get his way. Can Trump shut down social media? I seriously doubt he can, but if Jack Dorsey gets nervous over the threat, does a 180 and says "never mind" about fact checking, Trump will calm down, then resume his lying.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    It's not like Spongedon Whinepants' First Amendment rights are threatened (which clearly isn't the case), he just hates that his endless lies are finally being challenged, so he's acting out like the butthurt infant he is when he doesn't get his way. Can Trump shut down social media? I seriously doubt he can, but if Jack Dorsey gets nervous over the threat, does a 180 and says "never mind" about fact checking, Trump will calm down, then resume his lying.
    It doesn't even matter anyway. His supporters are the ones that need to take the action and look at the facts. And they won't. That's the reason he continues to do it. Drop baseless innuendo, conspiracy, act like a victim. All he has to do is put it out there and walk away. They aren't going to listen to facts, it's baked in that anyone fact checking is "deep state".

Even if Twitter had gone the other route of just banning him for hate speech or deleting demonstrably false tweets. They would then be playing into the "they are after the conservatives narrative" It's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    We also don't know what the economy will be like in five months. Ryan Lizza and Daniel Lippman wrote about the potential economic debate for Politico.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...mocrats-281470
    Yeah, no. Sounds silly to even have to say this, but in order to have a V-shaped recovery, the virus has to be gone first, or else we'll get hit with a second wave as soon as things open back up and everything will have to be shut down again. There isn't going to be any kind of economy-wide reset until a vaccine is available, and that's assuming there isn't any significant restructuring of global supply chains. What Trump's people are banking on is that people have become so desensitized to the death tolls that they'll just see a few thousand dead per day as the cost of doing business. Unfortunately, while the numbers might look bad now they could really have been a lot worse if we had just done nothing, so people are really going to have to want to go get their nails done if the economy is going to power through the next couple of months.

I'm no Karen. Thank god I'm not a Karen. My husband and talk about the Central Park Karen, Amy Cooper and I still can't imagine what was going through her mind aside from the obvious.

Sometimes it does happen that heated words are exchanged, though it is better to keep things civil. But unless you are in clear physical danger, or you see someone else in clear physical danger, you do not call the police. Add this to what she did to that poor dog.

News reports like that, as a white woman myself, make me cringe.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Yikes. Rasmussen now has an approval mind disapproval of -15, which I think is tied for the worst he's been with them.

Politico dropped from minus 10 to minus 17 within a few days.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I'm no Karen. Thank god I'm not a Karen. My husband and talk about the Central Park Karen, Amy Cooper and I still can't imagine what was going through her mind aside from the obvious.

Sometimes it does happen that heated words are exchanged, though it is better to keep things civil. But unless you are in clear physical danger, or you see someone else in clear physical danger, you do not call the police. Add this to what she did to that poor dog.

If Central Park Karen had been "confronted" by a white man, would she have gone off the rails like she had? I don't think so, in my opinion, that had been a clear cut case of white privilege unleashed, that she hated having been "confronted" by a black man, perhaps someone she saw as beneath her and wasn't worthy of telling her what to do. I have zero pity for the woman, she made her own bed, then proceeded to soil the sheets, now she has to lay in it.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Me too. Between this and the guy who died with a white police officer's foot firmly on his neck, it's apparent that there are still too many horrible white racists out there. I know Oprah got a lot of heat for this but there is a lot of truth to what she said a few years back.

“As long as people can be judged by the color of their skin, the problem is not solved,” Winfrey said. “As long as there are people who still — and there’s a whole generation, I … said this for apartheid South Africa, I said this for my own community in the south — there are still generations of people, older people, who were born, and bred, and marinated in it, in that prejudice and racism, and they just have to die.”

Only in the these two cases, the two perpetrators aren't that old.

I know I am not perfect and my parents weren't perfect. But at least they didn't teach us these kind of feelings and behaviors. But it looks like there is a way too much of this, a lot of inherited prejudices and racism.

If Central Park Karen had been "confronted" by a white man, would she have gone off the rails like she had? I don't think so, in my opinion, that had been a clear cut case of white privilege unleashed, that she hated having been "confronted" by a black man, perhaps someone she saw as beneath her and wasn't worthy of telling her what to do. I have zero pity for the woman, she made her own bed, then proceeded to soil the sheets, now she has to lay in it.
    I wonder if she, after reading other reports of women doing similar things, thought to herself how much she'd like to be in their shoes. How she'd love to follow their example. Did she daydream of the moment when she could make a black man's life miserable by calling the cops on him for no reason?

When I read stories like that, it frustrates the heck out of me.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Me too. Between this and the guy who died with a white police officer's foot firmly on his neck, it's apparent that there are still too many horrible white racists out there. I know Oprah got a lot of heat for this but there is a lot of truth to what she said a few years back.

“As long as people can be judged by the color of their skin, the problem is not solved,” Winfrey said. “As long as there are people who still — and there’s a whole generation, I … said this for apartheid South Africa, I said this for my own community in the south — there are still generations of people, older people, who were born, and bred, and marinated in it, in that prejudice and racism, and they just have to die.”

I know I am not perfect and my parents weren't perfect. But at least they didn't teach us these kind of feelings and behaviors. But it looks like there is a way too much of this, a lot of inherited prejudices and racism.
    That's right. In these two cases, they weren't that old. Just "waiting for the bigots to die" isn't going to get it done. Look at the pictures from Charlottesville. Those guys were all in their 20s and 30s. We have to teach kids as early as kindergarten not only that hate is wrong, but WHY it's wrong.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Ultimate Member

Seriously. That woman must have had some rage issues going on.

I mean hell, she knew the guy was recording her, and still she attempted to pull her bullshit

BANNED

There's no sense in waiting for all the racists to die out when new ones are still being born every day, this idea that we can just wait them out presumes that modern society is completely free of prejudice and that it's just a couple of holdouts from earlier times that are ruining it for everyone, but clearly not the case. Neither of these incidents involved boomers, and both took place well north of the Mason-Dixon, and just like in the vast majority of these incidents the perpetrator would probably not have considered themselves to be racist nor recognized that their actions were racist until they got caught for it. Trying to put the burden on individuals to be nicer is folly, we have to re-examine the structure of our society which was entirely founded on racial prejudice to justify slavery and genocide to provide for the comfort of white people, and while the ways in which that manifests have changed over the years, the system fundamentally has not.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I had hopes that when Romney was elected Senator would speak up more and perhaps put together an anti-Trump coalition in Congress. Maybe he has but there way too quiet IMO. Or they were the ones that simply didn't run for re-election.

But there was another congressman that spoke out at least, Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Illinois) But we need way more than this. Too many in the GOP congress are Trump enablers. Why don't they complain about all the time he wastes going through the sites with conspiracy theories and other garbage? Or all the time spent golfing or at his private clubs? Yeah, this he has time for but loathes reading the briefings and other important documents given to him. You can tell whenever he recites a scripted speech like a 6th grader with poor reading skills that he probably is just seeing it for the first time.
    Trump has no redeeming qualities whatsoever when you see him dredging up this poor woman's fate and causing her husband and relatives all this anguish over this cheap sensationalism. He has no soul...just a black hole of hatred, greed, vanity and stupidity.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-27-2020 at 10:36 AM.

I had hopes that when Romney was elected Senator would speak up more and perhaps put together an anti-Trump coalition in Congress. Maybe he has but there way too quiet IMO. Or they were the ones that simply didn't run for re-election.

But there was another congressman that spoke out at least, Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Illinois) But we need way more than this. Too many in the GOP congress are Trump enablers. Why don't they complain about all the time he wastes going through the sites with conspiracy theories and other garbage? Or all the time spent golfing or at his private clubs? Yeah, this he has time for but loathes reading the briefings and other important documents given to him. You can tell whenever he recites a scripted speech like a 6th grader with poor reading skills that he probably is just seeing it for the first time.
    Trump has no redeeming qualities whatsoever when you see him dredging up this poor woman's fate and causing her husband and relatives all this anguish over this cheap sensationalism. He has no soul...just a black hole of hatred, greed, vanity and stupidity.
    Your description of Trump is correct but let’s not forget that he’s a symptom of a much greater problem in the modern Republican party.
    They went off the rails in the 80's and electing a moron with delusions of grandeur doesn't even make the top five horrible things they're responsible for.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 05-27-2020 at 10:43 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Unfortunately, Oprah was wrong. Because that generation of people that were marinated in racism have now passed that onto their children, who will then pass it on to their children, etc.

BANNED

The GOP knows where its bread is buttered though, actual conservatives are far outnumbered by MAGA types nationally, and always have been. The party got by for decades using racist dog whistles to lure them into voting Republican while maintaining some plausible deniability, but now with Trump there is no need for that anymore, and anyone who speaks out against him will get run out of office. This is why Democrats shouldn't pin their hopes on Never Trumpers retaking the party any time soon, it was never their party to begin with.