Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    If people outside China are concerned about China's treatment of Uighyurs, then they should boycott Chinese made goods.

If you want to protest the actions of the Chinese government, then don't buy anything from China.

Chinese government is profiting from the sales of their products to the world market. Where do you think a portion of their profits will end up? It is used to fund the construction and maintenance of the Xinjiang internment camps.
    Problem is, right now it seems like 80% to 90% of everything sold in the US is MADE IN CHINA or has some components or parts made there.

I agree it would be a great idea, but it would be very hard to implement.

I guess we can start with learning what products aren't made in China
    Last edited by Tami; 04-23-2021 at 04:54 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Democrats torch the 2-page GOP infrastructure blueprint as 'a slap in the face' and 'a joke'

Democrats had scathing assessments for the two-page Republican infrastructure outline released on Thursday, a sign that a bipartisan deal was not immediately in sight on one of President Joe Biden's top economic priorities.

A group of Senate Republicans led by Sen. Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia had unveiled the $568 billion infrastructure blueprint that was less a detailed plan than a two-page outline of principles. It amounted to about a quarter of Biden's proposed $2.3 trillion stimulus spending.

The GOP plan would spread out new spending over a five-year period, largely paid for with user-fees. It included no corporate tax hike, and set aside over half of its funding on to repair roads, highways, and bridges. Capito called it "a robust package" at a news conference.

But some Democrats sharply disagree — and they torched the plan as too meager to confront the dual crises of climate change and economic inequality.
    "Having a two-pager with four bullets on four [revenue] raisers, I don't think it's very serious," one Democratic aide said, referring to the GOP plan.

"It doesn't do anything on climate, which is non-negotiable for our caucus," the aide said. "We can't let a decade go by without doing something more substantial on climate."

"It's a joke," another Democratic aide said. "Their number is so low and achieves so few of the things even they agree are important. It's not remotely in the ballpark of what is serious."

Los Angeles County to appeal judge's order to shelter homeless people on skid row

LOS ANGELES — County leaders say they'll push back against a federal judge's order to house all the people experiencing homelessness in downtown's skid row, where tents and encampments butt up against pricey lofts, restaurants and entertainment venues.

Los Angeles County filed a notice to appeal the ruling Wednesday, a day after U.S. District Judge David O. Carter slammed officials for their failure to address the region's burgeoning homelessness crisis, said Skip Miller, the lawyer representing the county.

It will also ask that Carter's order be suspended, citing judicial overreach into an issue that should be handled by the city and the county.

"Deciding how to spend taxpayers' money and deliver services to people experiencing homelessness is a legislative, not a judicial, function," Miller said in an emailed statement. "The County remains committed to its course of urgent action outside of court addressing this complex societal issue with the City and its other partners."

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Problem is, right now it seems like 80% to 90% of everything sold in the US is MADE IN CHINA or has some components or parts made there.

I agree it would be a great idea, but it would be very hard to implement.

I guess we can start with learning what products aren't made in China
    Wow, Thanks a bunch, Tami. Both links look very informative. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

That's an interesting question on what should be done with former areas of DC if it were to become a state.

It would make sense for the areas that went to Virginia to go back to DC proper. A big part of the reason Democrats wouldn't want to do that is that it wouldn't be to their advantage.
    Arlington was originally part of D.C. when Virginia and Maryland both agreed to cede some small portions to form a federal capital city.

Arlington was taken from D.C. back to Virginia over the issue of slavery.

If the Arlington County residents want to rejoin the DC, then the Virginia government should hold a referendum for them to vote and decide where their county should belong.

Some Arlington residents are employed in DC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distri...a_retrocession

Astonishing Member

George W. Bush says he wrote in Condoleezza Rice for president in 2020

Old Dubya rarely ceases to disappoint. Not that I care since he was arguably the second worst modern American President after the Orange guy.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 04-23-2021 at 07:20 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post

Old Dubya rarely ceases to disappoint. Not that I care since he was arguably the second worst modern American President after the Orange guy.
    I'm sure that came as a surprise to Rice. I'm guessing Dubya pulled any Republican name out of his ass rather than vote for Biden. No matter.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I'm sure that came as a surprise to Rice. I'm guessing Dubya pulled any Republican name out of his ass rather than vote for Biden. No matter.
    Eh, he's been a Republican for so long, I don't begrudge him that. When you have been the Party Leader, it's hard to switch sides. Though I would not be surprised to find that he really does support Biden, even if he couldn't bring himself to vote for him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post

That's the thing, we can't keep allowing "arsonists to come back as firefighters" (thanks to Mehdi Hasan for that).

Trump being worse doesn't mean we rehabilitate the guy who paved the way for Trump (thanks to his handling of foreign policy and the economy).

Continue down this line and 10 years we'll have someone worse than Trump and people will talk about going back "the values of the Trump Republican Party".

It's a spiral of mediocrity and never holding anyone accountable.

Astonishing Member
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 04-23-2021 at 07:55 AM.

- Charles Schultz.

I thought He was a She now?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I thought He was a She now?
    I thought about correcting Amadeus as well. Caitlin is a She not a He.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I thought about correcting Amadeus as well. Caitlin is a She not a He.
    I just got done finishing editing my post to correct this before I saw yours and the guy you were replying to’s post.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 04-23-2021 at 08:04 AM.

- Charles Schultz.

Does anyone know what her politics are? Other then being huge on Trans rights and stuff I have not heard her say much on other issues. Then again I dont really like her so I havnt really paid attention.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Does anyone know what her politics are? Other then being huge on Trans rights and stuff I have not heard her say much on other issues. Then again I dont really like her so I havnt really paid attention.
    She was a Trump voter right up until the Leopard Eating Faces Party Ate Her Face.