Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    The Jon Stewart of the mid 2010's would be laughing at the one who appeared on that spot. I guess we all expected better from the guy given our years seeing him and how he fought for 9/11 1st responders etc. To see this...was...so sad.
    I've been a fan since his days on Short Attention Span Theatre and that won't change on account of this one incident. It was just weird and disappointing.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    My gut feeling so far is that Jo Cox case attracted even more attention.

It (Jo Cox case) was mentioned today quite a lot, of course…because there was a review after her death to see how security arrangements could be improved for members of Parliament.

There’s been no very obvious changes made as a result of the review (most MP’s still walk around their local areas without protection, and have frequent local sessions where their constituents can just turn up to speak to them face to face)…but I guess behind the scenes changes were made. (Certainly spend on security increased very substantially after the review!)
    I'll take your word for it. In my experience with the British press, limited as it is, Cox seemed to get lost pretty quick, and nobody faced any consequences for the rhetoric that helped make it possible. A killer oyu can swiftly 'otherize' is always going to get more play.

As for Chapelle: He's a piece of crap. Punching down at transwomen, declaring yourself 'team terf', comparing transwomen to people wearing black face, andso on ... he's just waving his own bigotry flag -- and this from a guy who cancelled *himself* because he was concerned about the harm he might be doing.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-16-2021 at 08:51 PM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    As for Chapelle: He's a piece of crap. Punching down at transwomen, declaring yourself 'team terf', comparing transwomen to people wearing black face, andso on ... he's just waving his own bigotry flag -- and this from a guy who cancelled *himself* because he was concerned about the harm he might be doing.
    But is he really cancelled ? Netflix is standing by his specials as comedy , comedians are taking up for him , beyond critics on Rotten Tomatoes his last special is insanely rated high and he just made millions of dollars.

Chappelle jokes about being cancelled and he usually claims he's gonna be taking time off away like last time (over a decade). But its more his own deal being bored at what he does...its hard to say he's cancelled.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

But is he really cancelled ? Netflix is standing by his specials as comedy , comedians are taking up for him , beyond critics on Rotten Tomatoes his last special is insanely rated high and he just made millions of dollars.

Chappelle jokes about being cancelled and he usually claims he's gonna be taking time off away like last time (over a decade). But its more his own deal being bored at what he does...its hard to say he's cancelled.
    'Cancelled himself' refers to him ending Chapelle's show because he had the eense that white people were laughing the wrong way at his jokes. This is a guy who recognized his humor might be doing some harm. Meanwhile, in reality, black transwomen are at a high risk of violence and Chapelle has zero issue with exposing his own personal bigotry over them.

'Cancelled himself' refers to him ending Chapelle's show because he had the eense that white people were laughing the wrong way at his jokes. This is a guy who recognized his humor might be doing some harm. Meanwhile, in reality, black transwomen are at a high risk of violence and Chapelle has zero issue with exposing his own personal bigotry over them.
    It's so gross to see what Chapelle has become in the years since he walked away from his own show.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    It's so gross to see what Chapelle has become in the years since he walked away from his own show.
    Wealth degrades your capacity for empathy.

I'll take your word for it. In my experience with the British press, limited as it is, Cox seemed to get lost pretty quick, and nobody faced any consequences for the rhetoric that helped make it possible. A killer oyu can swiftly 'otherize' is always going to get more play.
    Not sure how one could measure relative coverage of the two cases and thereby confirm or disprove my gut feeling. I might be wrong.

But certainly Jo Cox’s death received very wide coverage, and was received with shock…partly because it was so unexpected, being the first killing of a member of Parliament since the spate of IRA assassinations about 20 years earlier.

Where you might well be right is that this story may run longer because a more determined effort may be made to link the killer to specific people who may have radicalised him, than was made in the case of the right wing nutter who killed Jo.

Wealth degrades your capacity for empathy.
    Thing is...Chappelle in 2017 gave a different reason on leaving those couple weeks. He also from this article was planning to resume the show . But once Comedy Central aired episodes without speaking to him it turned him against the network.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...kook-dog.html/

Judging from Dave's stand up and shows through the years...he was always this edgy comic. Crossing the line at times to get laughs.

A fact he joked his mom would go watch him at comedy clubs when he was a kid. And told him.."Honey you need to slack off with --- jokes (starts with p)."

If Dave Chappelle as a kid was doing that in clubs in front of his mom (which she seems to back up clip wise)...this guy really is the same edgy guy he always was.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Thing is...Chappelle in 2017 gave a different reason on leaving those couple weeks. He also from this article was planning to resume the show . But once Comedy Central aired episodes without speaking to him it turned him against the network.

Judging from Dave's stand up and shows through the years...he was always this edgy comic. Crossing the line at times to get laughs.

A fact he joked his mom would go watch him at comedy clubs when he was a kid. And told him.."Honey you need to slack off with --- jokes (starts with p)."

If Dave Chappelle as a kid was doing that in clubs in front of his mom (which she seems to back up clip wise)...this guy really is the same edgy guy he always was.
    really not sure what you're trying to argue here. I'm simply going by Chapelle having had enough awareness to describe the situation I mentioned -- which he has multiple times -- while being unable to visualize the same kind of harm when he's punching down at transwomen and declaring himself 'team terf' and calling them the equivalent of someone wearing black face. He can go $#$$ himself. This isn't edgy humor, it's just being a prick. There's literally nothing funny about his observations here. There's no 'joke'. It's just bigotry.

“Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying.” -- Terry Pratchett

You're not "Crossing the lines..." when most of the world would still be thrilled with just not having to deal with the reality of that trans folks are a part of the population.

really not sure what you're trying to argue here. I'm simply going by Chapelle having had enough awareness to describe the situation I mentioned -- which he has multiple times -- while being unable to visualize the same kind of harm when he's punching down at transwomen and declaring himself 'team terf' and calling them the equivalent of someone wearing black face. He can go $#$$ himself. This isn't edgy humor, it's just being a prick. There's literally nothing funny about his observations here. There's no 'joke'. It's just bigotry.
    I'm saying his humor and jokes was always hitting at everyone . I brought up that bit where an Asian lady got angry with him in audience...and that was height of the show. (I won't post clip but its there).

The guy didn't radically change here. His comedy was this at times. I feel for those effected by it now. But having watched the last 2+ decades of things very little changed.

I'm saying his humor and jokes was always hitting at everyone . I brought up that bit where an Asian lady got angry with him in audience...and that was height of the show. (I won't post clip but its there).

The guy didn't radically change here. His comedy was this at times. I feel for those effected by it now. But having watched the last 2+ decades of things very little changed.
    Please explain to me where the 'jokes' are in his treatment of trans women. All he did was make an argument for gender essentialism. There were no 'jokes' here.

Here's a pretty good article on Chapelle, Dorman, and more from Vox.

https://www.vox.com/22722357/dave-ch...sy-transphobic
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-17-2021 at 12:37 AM.

He's pretty awesome right now in my opinion. If you can't stomach a couple of jokes, well, i feel bad for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    He's pretty awesome right now in my opinion. If you can't stomach a couple of jokes, well, i feel bad for you.
    So you're okay with transphobia?