Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Not unless a popular enough Democrat, and there are a few, decides to run, Biden shouldn't have any trouble getting reelected. Though I don't want to Jinx it.
    It's going to ultimately depend on if the Democrats can get the people out to vote. In a normal election cycle, I'd worry that voter apathy would make this a much closer race than it should or even cost Biden the election. But between the attacks on women's rights, LGBTQ rights, assault on education, and all of the mass shootings- if the Democrats can hammer home the fact that they are against all of the culture war bs the Republicans are waging, then it should lead to Biden being re-elected. And hopefully increase Democratic representation in the House and Senate. But that I'm less confident about, given all of the gerrymandering.

Considering every GOPer running has called for a national total ban on abortion, I think young people and women in general will be motivated to vote for Biden.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Not unless a popular enough Democrat, and there are a few, decides to run, Biden shouldn't have any trouble getting reelected. Though I don't want to Jinx it.

I think the whole thing about primary challenges hurting incumbents is an example of Goodhart's law; when the measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.

In the 2020 cycle, it was argued that Republicans shouldn't challenge Trump in a primary because it would weaken him in a general election. He still lost. Because the fundamentals were still bad for him, even if the establishment prevented serious challenges.

If Gretchen Whitmer or Amy Klobuchar or Gavin Newsom decide not to challenge Biden in a primary because they recognize it'll hurt their political career, and they might be blamed for a potential general election loss, the fundamentals would remain the same. Biden would still be in his early 80s with an approval rating lower than that of any Governor (especially when you consider that Governors tend to have lower disapproval ratings.

https://morningconsult.com/2023/04/1...proval-rating/

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Suprised no one posted this here already but Fox News fired Tucker Carlson late yesterday and coincidentally CNN also fired Don Lemon.

I don't think many will be shedding any tears over Tucker. NYT and the Wall Street Journal reported that Carlson was given the news 10 minutes before it ht the air. Don't let the doorknob hit you the way out, Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Suprised no one posted this here already but Fox News fired Tucker Carlson late yesterday and coincidentally CNN also fired Don Lemon.

I don't think many will be shedding any tears over Tucker. NYT and the Wall Street Journal reported that Carlson was given the news 10 minutes before it ht the air. Don't let the doorknob hit you the way out, Tucker
    If you go back you'll see much rejoicing about Tucker's firing

Every trans woman I know reacted with such jubilation.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Every trans woman I know reacted with such jubilation.
    What was it my fried said. Knock knock Tucker, its the reality coming for you to pay your dues.

The question is, what are they going to do with his buddies?

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    It's going to ultimately depend on if the Democrats can get the people out to vote. In a normal election cycle, I'd worry that voter apathy would make this a much closer race than it should or even cost Biden the election. But between the attacks on women's rights, LGBTQ rights, assault on education, and all of the mass shootings- if the Democrats can hammer home the fact that they are against all of the culture war bs the Republicans are waging, then it should lead to Biden being re-elected. And hopefully increase Democratic representation in the House and Senate. But that I'm less confident about, given all of the gerrymandering.
    I think with everything going on, he has a chance, and if they can point out that the Qbulicans are screwing up "decent Republicans " see Chaney, they may pull on the more conservative Independent voters to lean Dem.

All the above agreed.

If twice impeach, three times indicted Trump runs against him, I don't think he will lose.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

The reason being quoted in UK press for Don Lemon being sacked struck me as extraordinary for a guy who’s supposed to be a liberal.

(It’s been reported that he claimed a 51 year old woman was too old to run for President because that’s “past a woman’s prime”. Given age of likely male candidates that seems a bizarre view.)

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    The reason being quoted in UK press for Don Lemon being sacked struck me as extraordinary for a guy who’s supposed to be a liberal.

(It’s been reported that he claimed a 51 year old woman was too old to run for President because that’s “past a woman’s prime”. Given age of likely male candidates that seems a bizarre view.)
    I watched that clip on my local news this morning. The woman Lemon derided was Qpublican candidate Nikki Haley, and while I have no love for that harridan, his comment was both ageist and sexist. But, it probably wasn’t just that incident that got Lemon the chop, there had been stories about him being an asshole behind the scenes to co-hosts and floor staff on the set. It sounds like CNN had their fill of Lemon, and perhaps that shot he took at Haley was the final straw.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 04-25-2023 at 09:20 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

My favorite quote from the Dominion discovery evidence:

"I watched Lou (Dobbs) closely for 2 weeks during the conventions - the North Koreans do a more nuanced show." -- Jay Wallace, President of Fox News

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I watched that clip on my local news this morning. The woman Lemon derided was Qpublican candidate Nikki Haley, and while I have no love for that harridan, his comment was both ageist and sexist. But, it probably wasn’t just that incident that got Lemon the chop, there had been stories about him being an asshole behind the scenes to co-hosts and floor staff on the set. It sounds like CNN had their fill of Lemon, and perhaps that shot he took at Haley was the final straw.
    You sometimes wonder when people do something so extraordinarily daft if deep down they just want to go.

Suppose one possibility is that he calculated severance package would be better if he got sacked, rather than just resigned.

But then people do daft things all the time…I’ve done my share.

Another news snippet on theme of strange sackings. Diane Abbot…UK’s longest serving black MP (and I think first black woman to become a MP) made remarks about Jewish people that a kid of 10 could tell her would get her suspended from Labour Party.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    You sometimes wonder when people do something so extraordinarily daft if deep down they just want to go.

Suppose one possibility is that he calculated severance package would be better if he got sacked, rather than just resigned.

But then people do daft things all the time…I’ve done my share.

Another news snippet on theme of strange sackings. Diane Abbot…UK’s longest serving black MP (and I think first black woman to become a MP) made remarks about Jewish people that a kid of 10 could tell her would get her suspended from Labour Party.
    She pulled a Whoopee Goldberg.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I might not be the biggest Bernie Sanders fan out there, but I will give the man credit for getting digs in during a debate and getting great sound bites. He is quite canny about that.

Liz Warren is also pretty solid, I'd say, and Katie Porter is also not to be messed with. She need not whip out a chalkboard to hand someone their ass.
    From what I’ve seen of Carlson, I don’t believe he has that ability.
    It would be lots of fun to watch him try though.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe