Page 1982 of 1993 FirstFirst ... 98214821882193219721978197919801981198219831984198519861992 ... LastLast
Results 29,716 to 29,730 of 29884
  1. #29716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I've said this before: It isn't Trump Qpublicans fear, it's his deranged and fanatically devoted base, a base more loyal to him than to the party, a full blown lunatic fringe who's support the GQP desperately needs for votes going into 2022. Without that support, Qpublicans are dead in the water.
    They're afraid of their own partisan voters... so much so that they know no one would support them if they actually moved to allow an investigation into 1/6 at the polls... or worse, they'd look to show up at a town hall with a gun and/or noose.

    That doesn't make the GQP any less cowardly or fascist.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  2. #29717

  3. #29718
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Simple solution to that; have the president be selected by the House+Senate. This has it's own flaws obviously, but I guarantee Trump would have gotten nowhere near the White House with it.
    That would basically make the President the equivalent of a prime minister.

    That approach has some advantages, especially if you prefer a government without the checks and balances when the legislative and executive branch are often at cross-purposes.

    It would be a different system. You might have people running for legislature with the promise of supporting a cult figure, sort of how Macron's party dominated French parliamentary elections.

    It may be the equivalent of fighting the last war. Trump would not be able to get elected under this kind of system, since he lacks the institutional support, but there have been plenty of awful prime ministers.

    It does make it tougher for ordinary voters to select the President, which has benefits and disadvantages.

    I don't think Obama would have been elected under this system in 2008, although it could've worked for a more experienced Obama.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  4. #29719
    Extraordinary Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    A number of people on Twitter responded that Gohmert was being 'Sarcastic'. I wonder if that is in the same way that Trump used to be 'Joking' when he said things like injecting yourself with bleach.
    Itís amazing that when Qpublicans say something stupid itís immediately chalked up to them ďjokingĒ. Itís apparently a party full of some the top comedians in the world.

  5. #29720
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    11,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    That would basically make the President the equivalent of a prime minister.

    That approach has some advantages, especially if you prefer a government without the checks and balances when the legislative and executive branch are often at cross-purposes.

    It would be a different system. You might have people running for legislature with the promise of supporting a cult figure, sort of how Macron's party dominated French parliamentary elections.

    It may be the equivalent of fighting the last war. Trump would not be able to get elected under this kind of system, since he lacks the institutional support, but there have been plenty of awful prime ministers.

    It does make it tougher for ordinary voters to select the President, which has benefits and disadvantages.

    I don't think Obama would have been elected under this system in 2008, although it could've worked for a more experienced Obama.
    I don't see much change in 2008 on except it would've gone H. Clinton 1 term, Obama 1 term, Jeb 1 term, Obama 1 term.

    I think this system would encourage more split presidencies.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  6. #29721
    Invincible Jersey Girl Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,966

    Default

    Conspiracy theorists think Covid vaccine makes you magnetic


    MSNBC's Brian Williams looks at the latest Covid vaccination conspiracy theory that went viral after an Ohio legislature committee meeting where a doctor and a nurse stated that the injections are magnetizing people - something that is completely false.
    Hey, guys, anyone here who has been vaccinated find themselves able to stick spoons to your forehead or have forks stuck all over your body?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

  7. #29722
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    11,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Conspiracy theorists think Covid vaccine makes you magnetic




    Hey, guys, anyone here who has been vaccinated find themselves able to stick spoons to your forehead or have forks stuck all over your body?
    No, but I can charge my phone without a charger now.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  8. #29723
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I don't see much change in 2008 on except it would've gone H. Clinton 1 term, Obama 1 term, Jeb 1 term, Obama 1 term.

    I think this system would encourage more split presidencies.
    It would get weird, since America has congressional elections every two years. Prime Ministers often resign, so you would likely see that happen.

    Matching recent elections (an odd task because legislative races would probably be different if it were a proxy for a presidential candidate)...
    You'd see Bob Dole from 1994 until about 1999
    Then George W Bush from 1999 until the 2006 elections.
    Then Hillary Clinton from 2006 until 2010.
    Then some Republican legislator (John Thune?) from 2010 until 2012.
    Then Barack Obama from 2012 to 2014.
    Then some establishment Republican (Jeb? Romney? Paul Ryan?) from 2014 to 2018.
    And probably Barack Obama again after the 2018 elections.

    There are some weird what-ifs.
    Would Democratic legislators go for Bill Clinton? What happens to Hillary without Bill?
    Would Governors run for legislature instead? Could a Jeb Bush or Mitt Romney use a congressional seat as a launching pad?
    Would there be primaries for House and Senate with candidates promising to support a particular presidential contender? Could unknowns win some races by promising support for an outsider (Trump or Sanders?)
    Would Presidents face the no-confidence votes that force out prime ministers and other legislative leaders?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  9. #29724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Conspiracy theorists think Covid vaccine makes you magnetic

    Hey, guys, anyone here who has been vaccinated find themselves able to stick spoons to your forehead or have forks stuck all over your body?
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  10. #29725
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    3,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    No, but I can charge my phone without a charger now.
    And my wifi has never been stronger!

  11. #29726
    Invincible Jersey Girl Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    And my wifi has never been stronger!
    Some might say that their Wifey has never been stronger.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

  12. #29727
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Conspiracy theorists think Covid vaccine makes you magnetic




    Hey, guys, anyone here who has been vaccinated find themselves able to stick spoons to your forehead or have forks stuck all over your body?
    So a doctor and a nurse are making this conspiracy theory? That's insane

  13. #29728
    Spectacular Member MacrossPlus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    237

    Default

    It's scary to think about how politics in a way breeds defeatism.

  14. #29729
    Ultimate Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10,749

    Default

    It's done:

    https://www.opb.org/article/2021/06/...tol-incursion/

    State Rep. Mike Nearman became the first person ever expelled from the Oregon Legislature on Thursday, following revelations he helped plan an armed incursion in the state Capitol late last year.

    In a widely anticipated vote, the Oregon House approved a resolution that formally found Nearman’s act of opening a Capitol door for a far-right crowd on Dec. 21 amounted to “disorderly behavior”, the constitutional standard for ejecting a legislator. The resolution passed by a vote of 59-1, with only Nearman voting against.

  15. #29730
    Extraordinary Member Malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Freeville, NY
    Posts
    9,795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    As WBE would say, Good riddance!
    Watching television is not an activity.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •