Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    In some good news, Madison Cawthorne appears to have lost his primary.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/statu...41238803836928
    Poor little Hitler Youth.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Really? A digital database of firearms owners seems to fit right in with the "Well regulated" clause as far as I'm concerned.
    Find me an existing "Militia..." to go along with that "Well Regulated...", and we've got something to discuss...

Otherwise?

District Of Columbia v. Heller says different.

That's because the originalism that spawned it is ahistorical garbage, 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    That's because the originalism that spawned it is ahistorical garbage, 30.
    Politely?

Non-issue.

Doubly so in a "Here And Now..." where you are going to have a seriously hard time finding even a plurality of American citizens that would say "Sure... Going by that whole 'Militia...' bit totally makes sense..."

Like it or not, most Americans are fine with the Rights being what they are. It is the good thing about them just as much as it is the bad thing about them.

Take "Freedom Of Speech..."

Folks are so fine with it that lots of them(potentially an actual plurality...) will extend that boundary to what is actually "Freedom Of Expression..." even though "Freedom Of Speech..." is actually fairly narrow as a concept.

In the last 6 months, 6 Conservative MPs have been arrested or left the party for sex based offenses. Boris Johnsons Tories are very much in a "John Major Speedrun"

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Doug Mastriano, Far-Right Election Denier, Wins Pennsylvania Gubernatorial Primary

The Christian nationalist who was near the Capitol during the Jan. 6 insurrection was endorsed by former President Donald Trump. The idea of this far right lunatic as governor of my state is downright frightening.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

If anyone wants to go on a ride, look up how Cawthorne met his ex-wife. Don't want to spoil too much, but there's a non zero chance he married a Russian agent.

This makes me very happy. The guy was a bowl for of BS and crazy and I am glad he is gone.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I wouldn't get to excited over Cawthorn's lose, the next guy I'm sure will vote in the exact same way, he'll just be quieter. Cawthorn, vile piece of garbage as he was, was the only Republican who's reprehensible behavior was enough to do some slight damage to his parties image, something that Marjorie Taylor Greene and Laura Boebert haven't even been able to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Find me an existing "Militia..." to go along with that "Well Regulated...", and we've got something to discuss...

Otherwise?

District Of Columbia v. Heller says different.
    Heller had to do with ownership, nothing to do with a database. The 2nd says nothing about background checks or this. In fact, the Heller decision even said some types of guns could be prohibited.
    Scalia specifically said the right was not unlimited..
    Last edited by Kirby101; 05-18-2022 at 04:59 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    I casually came in here, saw it was an echo chamber and left.
    It's certainly easier than staying and trying to make the best argument you can for your point of view. Quitting or never trying in the first place is always the easier call than making an effort and facing criticism or counterarguments.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Because anonymity allows people to reveal their true nature without fear of repercussion. In person (and without a crowd to amplify their bad urges) people are manageable. Once you get online though...
    Agreed, I just wish people would try to actually be reasonable rather than just coming in to shout and leave or continue to antagonize. Of course there's also the aspect of provoking a physical response that keeps people more polite in person.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Was going to say the same thing. It's why I'm hopeful that people can be made to see reason, as they're not (most of them, at least) mustache-twirling villains but people with ignorance/blind spots who may not have had to consider them, or are privileged not to have to examine the way certain laws/conditions/systems impact people who aren't like them. Screaming matches and judgment won't get them to reconsider though, it's just likely to get them to double down/turtle up.

But on arguing with the other side I also would add that it doesn't have to be an "a-ha!" moment where you nail the landing on your argument and the veil falls from their eyes. It's a constant struggle, and again while the hope is the hardcores might eventually reconsider their extremism and soften there's also the idea that (less so here, but in general on social media) for everyone posting on the other side you have a larger number who drive-by and read the conversation. Giving them the best side of the argument from our perspective might be enough to *drip*drip*drip* and tip the scales towards what we believe is the better way for society, whether that's on abortion/guns/election laws/etc.

It's also why the kind of advocates who screech in anger when confronted with injustice only to become popular 4chan/right-wing humor memes are destructive to their own cause. When you respond to being poked by poking back (not you specifically, royal/"when one" you) instead of trying to be the adult in the room (as frustrating and seemingly thankless as that position might seem, and certainly not as fun as swinging back hard) then you sink to their level and again turn off those who are just passing through and might be swayable.
    I don't suspect many are evil, but I also have to consider that for every one that picks up a gun to mow down those that fit their targeted hate there are more who aren't brave enough to die for their bigotry but will do whatever they can get away with to make life worse for others. Elected officials making bigoted laws, cops who pull over anyone of color they can make an excuse for, all the way to folks who follow anyone with too much melanin in the store to prevent suspected thievery. Given the sheer amount of people in the country these relatively few have an outsized affect on the perception of them which I have been guilty of. However no one I've known who is willing to ignore reality shown to their face is willing to change their stance, as it would mean admitting what they were doing to themselves and whether consciously or not they can't admit to that.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    It's certainly easier than staying and trying to make the best argument you can for your point of view. Quitting or never trying in the first place is always the easier call than making an effort and facing criticism or counterarguments.
    Good response, but I'd suspect someone that has to post about it rather than just heading out isn't one who'd listen. You have to be able to admit the possibility that you are wrong in order to listen to a differing viewpoint and I try to always take that into consideration in my day to day life.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Doug Mastriano, Far-Right Election Denier, Wins Pennsylvania Gubernatorial Primary

The Christian nationalist who was near the Capitol during the Jan. 6 insurrection was endorsed by former President Donald Trump. The idea of this far right lunatic as governor of my state is downright frightening.
    It is the Trumpist plan to get MAGA candidates elected as governor and secretary of state in as many "swing" States as possible, so that in 2024 those officials will refuse to certify winning slates of Democratic electors and will certify their own slates of Republican electors instead.

This article might make WBE crawl into a bottle.

https://www.carolinajournal.com/sand...-abuse-claims/

But Roberson’s campaign may be going “nuclear” with the primary election less than two weeks away, releasing a trove of documents that they allege show Smith is unfit to be the GOP nominee. The accusations include spousal abuse, bankruptcy, running scams, and owning a business that sells sexual clothing.

According to Roberson’s team, the information in the “Sandy Smith Exposed” file was going to be used as an “October surprise” by Democrats. They claim to be using it as a May surprise of sorts now in order to prevent a potential GOP nominee from being discredited in a way that would put an otherwise competitive seat out of reach.