1. #34666
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    "The current two-party system is one of the worst case scenarios that the founding fathers were trying to avoid." -- Andrew Yang

    "Our system is designed to be acutely vulnerable to authoritarianism - largely because the founders never imagined only 2 national parties. That’s what needs to change as quickly as possible. " -- Andrew Yang

    There are five or six major parties in the German Bundestag Parliament.

    There are 3 or 4 major parties in Canadian parliament.

    There are 4 major parties in the UK parliament.

    There are 6 major parties in French parliament.

    Green Party has a similar ideology and foreign policy to the Democratic Party. There must be some Democrats who should be dissatisfied with the way their party leadership are doing things. If they can come to their senses, they should vote green.
    I'm not sure American politics allows for this.

    In theory, it could work to have new parties in places where one party is currently dominant. A green party candidate could run in San Francisco. A libertarian candidate could run in rural Texas. And it might be better if the major parties don't have majorities in Congress, and have to make coalitions. Granted, the main history of this in the United States is rather ugly. The Dixiecrats ran for President with the hope of denying the Republicans 270 electoral votes, and playing kingmakers in the electoral college. They could easily have demanded segregationist concessions.

    A difference in American politics though is that ordinary voters can vote in primaries. If you think your Democratic congressman is too much of a squish, you can support someone else in a primary, where one person's vote matters more.

    There's more interest in national politics than ever before, which makes it really hard for a third party to win locally. A Democratic state senator in California can associate themselves with the Biden administration, even if it's not going to matter much for his role in passing local legislation.

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    It's two separate things...

    Clinton's in the wrong for having an affair... with a subordinate. Both are ethically and morally wrong.
    Tripp's obsession with bringing Clinton and outing Lewinsky publicly as the woman in question is a betrayal of her.

    By the time we start getting down the line to partisan s***heels like Ken Starr who were just trying ANYTHING to get an impeachment, and hypocrites like Newt Gingrich and Bob Livingston were having affairs, Tom DeLay had cheated on his wife a bunch of times prior to it... meanwhile Denny Hastert was a complete pedophile. Like, the "moral high ground" of those who pushed hardest is laughable. It was simply about consolidating power, plain and simple. Hell, I saw an interview with John Boehner not long ago where he wished he didn't do more to push back against Gingrich and the Republicans who wanted Clinton impeached. Not that it changes anything, it's just weird that he'd even say that in hindsight.
    Boehner regrets impeachment because it was politically unpopular. He doesn't necessarily think it was morally wrong.

    It is worth noting Clinton wasn't impeached for having an affair with a subordinate half his age, but for perjury.

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Reading this stuff about Clapton's anti-vax fervor, I wondered if he, like certain politicians here (Rand Paul, Ron DeSantis, et al) has tons of cash invested in alternative treatments of the virus. But, it seems like ol' Slowhand is just a Shitheel.
    The DeSantis and Rand Paul stories are exxagerated.

    I posted this before, but a Tampa Bay Times reporter covered this, and thinks the evidence doesn't match the left-wing talking point.

    I've seen quite a few tweets about Gov. DeSantis and donations he has received from the CEO of a hedge fund, Citadel, that is invested in Regeneron. I looked into the accusations a bit. Here are some important facts.

    Regeneron already sold all ~1.5 million doses of its monoclonal antibody cocktail to the U.S. government, per a spokesperson. DeSantis is now urging COVID-positive Floridians to avail themselves of this treatment. Doesn't much matter to Regeneron (financially) if they do.

    Citadel is not in the top 100 of Regeneron's shareholders, according to the NASDAQ. Citadel has ~$38 billion in assets, and it owns about ~$36 million worth of Regeneron shares.

    The Citadel did increase its position in Regeneron by ~38k shares, or ~193 percent, in the second quarter, per NASDAQ. But that quarter ended June 30, when cases and hospitalizations weren't skyrocketing in Florida.

    Finally, some are saying DeSantis has downplayed vaccines in favor of Regeneron. Florida is 20th in vaccination rate per capita, according to the CDC, and it's the most vaccinated state that voted for Trump in 2020.
    Rand Paul's wife's investment of under $15,000 in a stock that is worth less now than when she bought it probably isn't enough money to sway anyone's vote.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  2. #34667
    Extraordinary Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    5,703

    Default

    There are a few artists and actors who I dont like their views or beliefs. But I love their work. I love Harry Potter and will still read and watch them. I will still buy Harry Potter figures just got the Harry Potter Lego games. I look to these people for entertainment not because I need them to be my role models or help me find my way politically. Of course I never found Dave funny so it is easy for me to ignore his stuff. But I am not going to cancel my netflix because they have his special on.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  3. #34668
    Once And Future BAMF Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Nowhere, Montana
    Posts
    734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    All of this text just to say transphobia isn't a deal breaker for you.

    There are hills to die on and hills to die on. I prefer the latter sort. I think it's rather harmful and counterproductive to define an individual wholly by and reduce them down to a single thing, be it a comment they made or a single opinion they hold, or the color of their skin, etc. People are more complicated than that. Also, all people are flawed. Nobody is perfect, nor perfectly conformist. There needs to exist a healthy spectrum of disagreement between people or else we simply cease to acknowledge (and tolerate) that all humans are just that: human.

    How I feel about or engage with Chappelle, Rowling, you, etc. is never going to approach the level of how I feel about Trump, most of the GQP establishment and base. You're certainly entitled to your all-or-nothing, agree-with-me-100%-of-the-time-or-you're-my-enemy opinion. I'm just wondering if you're aware of the irony that intolerance isn't a deal breaker for you?
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

    Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

    "I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

  4. #34669
    Astonishing Member Panfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    But because I enjoy the creative output of Dave Chappelle and J.K. Rowling and I refuse to type "folx" instead of "folks" because the former just looks ridiculous and the latter is not and has never been an inherently gender-exclusive word, I guess that makes me okay with transphobia. I guess that makes me a transphobe. Jesus Christ.
    Yes, it does, the fact that you bring up "folx", a thing that's barely used that most people probably aren't aware of, as a big "look at how ridiculous these people are!" statement is straight out of conservative twitter 101. Nobody is is saying you can't enjoy someones work, I still think "Cat Scratch Fever" is a pretty good song even if Ted Nugent is reprehensible, and I still like a good chunk of the old Chapelle show skits even if modern Chapelle is a bigot, it's a strawman argument that we've seen time and time again now.

  5. #34670
    Once And Future BAMF Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Nowhere, Montana
    Posts
    734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    If you like their creations, but not the views they espouse, I'd advise you to find a way to get their content for free and not contribute financially to them. There are avenues.

    If you're aware of their views as you're showing, the mildest take would be to find it reprehensible, enjoy things you like, but deny them the financial reward.

    Best advice I can give anyone who would be "conflicted" because they're a fan of the art, but not the artist.
    I appreciate that advice, WBE. In most controversial cases I keep my feelings for art and artist separate and I utilize methods that don't contribute financially to the problematic ones when I'm able.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

    Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

    "I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

  6. #34671
    Once And Future BAMF Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Nowhere, Montana
    Posts
    734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Yes, it does, the fact that you bring up "folx", a thing that's barely used that most people probably aren't aware of, as a big "look at how ridiculous these people are!" statement is straight out of conservative twitter 101. Nobody is is saying you can't enjoy someones work, I still think "Cat Scratch Fever" is a pretty good song even if Ted Nugent is reprehensible, and I still like a good chunk of the old Chapelle show skits even if modern Chapelle is a bigot, it's a strawman argument that we've seen time and time again now.
    I bring up "folx" because it happened to me personally, I was in a virtual national conference for professional development and I used the word "folks" when I was communicating in the chat and another attendee requested that I use the spelling "folx" instead to be more inclusive. My point isn't to decry proponents of "folx" as ridiculous, it's to genuinely wonder why such a spelling change is necessary, as "folks" is not a word that should be triggering for anyone.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

    Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

    "I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

  7. #34672
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,187

    Default

    This fight confuses me a bit.

    Does the administrator suggest there should be a defense for the Holocaust? Or is the administrator opposed to a Texas law mandating multiple perspectives be covered, and using this as a chance to criticize the law?

    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Speaking of Dave Chappelle and Netflix. The streamer service fired the employee who spent time leaking sensitive information from e-mails about Chappelle's salary and more for his specials. The service didn't care about the planned walk out planned but drew the line once the employee started leaking information.

    https://nypost.com/2021/10/16/netfli...or-the-closer/
    That's understandable.

    Leaking sensitive information is always a no-go.

    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    But is he really cancelled ? Netflix is standing by his specials as comedy , comedians are taking up for him , beyond critics on Rotten Tomatoes his last special is insanely rated high and he just made millions of dollars.

    Chappelle jokes about being cancelled and he usually claims he's gonna be taking time off away like last time (over a decade). But its more his own deal being bored at what he does...its hard to say he's cancelled.
    There seems to be an effort to cancel him. It doesn't seem very successful, although that's primarily due to his popularity.

    There does appear to be a push (by some) on the left against humor, so it'll be curious what effect that has on the culture.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    If you can't understand why people are upset with someone who willingly considers himself a part of a gender exclusion group (TERF), then I don't fell bad for you. You've made a decision to ignore obvious hate
    This might get into a problem with modern politics. There is often an insistence that ordinary people be familiar with how a certain segment of the culture understands politics.

    Most people aren't going to be familiar with the term TERF, let a lone how this controversy is interpreted within a particular community.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  8. #34673
    Once And Future BAMF Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Nowhere, Montana
    Posts
    734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    There are a few artists and actors who I dont like their views or beliefs. But I love their work. I love Harry Potter and will still read and watch them. I will still buy Harry Potter figures just got the Harry Potter Lego games. I look to these people for entertainment not because I need them to be my role models or help me find my way politically. Of course I never found Dave funny so it is easy for me to ignore his stuff. But I am not going to cancel my netflix because they have his special on.
    Hit it on the head, babyblob.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

    Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

    "I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

  9. #34674
    Ultimate Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    There are hills to die on and hills to die on.
    Trans people don't get to pick which hill they get to die on.

    Chapelle's latest bromides against them will actively make their lives worse, and will probably have an outsized impact on the already deeply vulnerable trans women of color for whom violence is already epidemic.

    Few quick points since I need to go for a while:

    1) Cancel Culture isn't real. Chapelle and JK Rowling will go to sleep on their millions of dollars precisely because the concerns and lives of trans people don't matter to enough people to actually harm them.

    2) No one is attacking 'humor'.

    3) We should all be intolerant of bigotry.

    Transphobia is a serious problem, but I can't make you care about it.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-17-2021 at 08:47 AM.

  10. #34675
    Invincible Jersey Girl Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    29,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This fight confuses me a bit.

    Does the administrator suggest there should be a defense for the Holocaust? Or is the administrator opposed to a Texas law mandating multiple perspectives be covered, and using this as a chance to criticize the law?
    From my perspective, I think it's more of a 'Give up and deal with it as best we can' situation. They won't try to fight it, even if they are opposed to it. They don't know how and they don't know if there is any support for doing so. The are caught, surround by threats and dangers.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

  11. #34676
    Astonishing Member Panfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Trans people don't get to pick which hill they get to die on.

    Chapelle's latest bromides against them will actively make their lives worse, and will probably have an outsized impact on the already deeply vulnerable trans women of color for whom violence is already epidemic.

    Few quick points since I need to go for a while:

    1) Cancel Culture isn't real. Chapelle and JK Rowling will go to sleep on their millions of dollars precisely because the concerns and lives of trans people don't matter to enough people to actually harm them.

    2) No one is attacking 'humor'.

    3) We should all be intolerant of bigotry.

    Transphobia is a serious problem, but I can't make you care about it.
    This, so much, I mean shit Chapelle is bragging about being "cancelled", he'll just retire for a couple of years until he gets bored again/needs another 20 million dollars.

  12. #34677
    Once And Future BAMF Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Nowhere, Montana
    Posts
    734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Trans people don't get to pick which hill they get to die on.

    Chapelle's latest bromides against them will actively make their lives worse, and will probably have an outsized impact on the already deeply vulnerable trans women of color for whom violence is already epidemic.

    Few quick points since I need to go for a while:

    1) Cancel Culture isn't real. Chapelle and JK Rowling will go to sleep on their millions of dollars precisely because the concerns and lives of trans people don't matter to enough people to actually harm them.

    2) No one is attacking 'humor'.

    3) We should all be intolerant of bigotry.

    Transphobia is a serious problem, but I can't make you care about it.
    While I know that renown and popular personages like Chappelle and Rowling can influence people with their words/opinions, I think the bigger problem here is how easily influenced a lot of people are. Your point about Chappelle's trans comments is valid. But I watched that special, I heard what he said. I'm hardly going to pose a danger to a trans woman of color should I encounter such a person when I'm out on the town. I harbor no malice at all towards that group of people, and Chappelle's bit didn't instill any malice into me. Maybe more people should have my mental fortitude against "influencers."

    It's not that I don't care about transphobia. It's just that it's not one of the end-all, be-all issues that I devote my time and energy towards. Those would be poverty, lack of social mobility, and the mental health crisis that is at least informed by the other two things that has caused 9 teen suicides in my community over the past 18 months. Those are umbrella issues that aren't exclusive to the trans community, and I focus on them because that's where I can do the most good in my day-to-day. The fact that I get nothing but hostility for not being 100% in the trans rights camp does nothing to endear me to their cause.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

    Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

    "I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

  13. #34678
    Extraordinary Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    5,703

    Default

    If a person watches Chappelle then says to themselves "Well I wasnt going to attack a Trans person but now im going to." They have a ton of issues anyway and that needs to be addressed. What Chappelle said is not okay. if people want to protest him and cancel their Netflix that is good for them. if they want to not be all in on Harry Potter because of JK that is all good on them. Im not one of those people. Like I said I dont look to famous people for my views nor to I change my views because of what they say and I am not going to cancel anything. I wont be upset if Netflix says they will drop Chappelle.

    The fact is Chappelle is most likely no the only problem person on Netflix, and there I am sure are lots of problem people on Disney, Hulu, Fox, NBC, in music etc.. If I boycotted everything then I would be in my room looking at the wall because there would be nothing to watch, read, listen too etc... And Netflilx may have people cancel their memberships and that is great. But how many of those people will stand firm when the next season of Handmaidens Tale comes out. Dont like Disney and the way they do business so they avoid Disney, (Until the next Marvel movie or show drops). Hate Walmart's labor practice wont shop there. Until they see that it is raining like crazy and they are not driving the extra 15 minutes to the mom and pop shop. Very few people will let real outrage get in the way of real comfort. Lets be honest. How many of us on this board bitching about Chappelle have canceled our Netflix?
    Last edited by babyblob; 10-17-2021 at 09:55 AM.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  14. #34679
    Astonishing Member CSTowle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    4,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Eric Clapton: Great Guitarist. Garbage human.
    Yeah, Morrissey has done a bit of that cringey stuff in the last decade. Sad.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Is it really that unreasonable to ask if it escaped from a lab, given China's obstruction since the beginning?

    I don't think that China would unleash a disease like this deliberately, or create it as bio-warfare.

    But that some idiot didn't didn't take the right precaution as they were heading home, and shit happened? That's not exactly a Pizza gate conspiracy
    Agree. Worth questioning, though if he's insisting that would be problematic. Haven't seen interview.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    If you can't understand why people are upset with someone who willingly considers himself a part of a gender exclusion group (TERF), then I don't fell bad for you. You've made a decision to ignore obvious hate
    Think TERF stands for Trans Exclusive Radical Feminist, don't think that applies to Mr. Chappelle. More general ignorance, difficulty understanding.

    I can relate on some level, it's hard to wrap my head around the concept as a very unmanly male who has never felt "male" so much as recognized it's just my reality.

    That said, regardless of understanding I acknowledge some people's reality is different and that acceptance should be an easy ask if understanding can't be achieved.
    Formerly finfangfool

  15. #34680
    Astonishing Member JackDaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    If you like their creations, but not the views they espouse, I'd advise you to find a way to get their content for free and not contribute financially to them. There are avenues.

    If you're aware of their views as you're showing, the mildest take would be to find it reprehensible, enjoy things you like, but deny them the financial reward.

    Best advice I can give anyone who would be "conflicted" because they're a fan of the art, but not the artist.
    So it’s okay to rip off an artist, musician, or writer if you dislike some of their views?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •