I think Greene falls into the Cruz and Pence frame of mind. The only person that thinks they should and have a chance at any kind of higher office like The White house are in the minds of those 3.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The choice should 100 percent be in the hands of woman. I said I personally dont agree with it. But the difference between myself and the GOP Cult is I am not trying to force that on anyone. I am not saying it should be banned, I am not voting for people that want to ban it I am not shaming and threatening people that believe it in or do it.

That is the difference between an opinion and oppression and many on the GOP dont know where to draw that line.
    I know blob, I was a little too snarky with my original response. I would add that the opposite of the extremist anti-women stance of the GOP right now would be forced abortions, not allowing all women to decide with their doctors. When anybody sees a mainstream progressive talk about forced abortions, I'll listen to "extremists on both sides". Until then, it's garbage.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I know blob, I was a little too snarky with my original response. I would add that the opposite of the extremist anti-women stance of the GOP right now would be forced abortions, not allowing all women to decide with their doctors. When anybody sees a mainstream progressive talk about forced abortions, I'll listen to "extremists on both sides". Until then, it's garbage.
    Im shocked they havnt started the forced Abortion crap. They already go all in on parents forcing their kids to be gay/trans.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Incredible Member Reverse Happy's Avatar

Thanks for that read. Hands-down the most unequivocally evil thing the Trump admin ever did, and that's saying something. The architects of this policy belong in prison (and/or hell), and I'm bitter the Dem admin is letting it slide (again).

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    The implication here being that any reason not medically related isn’t valid?
    Another question might be do we really want children born to people who lack the mental, emotional, or financial stability to properly care for them?
    I agree with UK overall policy…where effectively the permitted reasons (for abortion) change depending on the degree of development of the foetus….crucially whether there would be a reasonable expectation it could survive outside the woman’s body.

Up to external survival point in UK abortions do occur for non medical reasons…the woman might decide that family large enough already, that having another child could not be coped with for economic reasons, etc.

Past that point..then abortions are only permitted in cases where the child would be so deformed life would be hellish, or there is great danger to the woman’s life.

As I say I support that line..with some misgivings/ doubts.

But certainly I would oppose abortion of say a 40 week old foetus, for anything except medical reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse Happy View Post
    Thanks for that read. Hands-down the most unequivocally evil thing the Trump admin ever did, and that's saying something. The architects of this policy belong in prison (and/or hell), and I'm bitter the Dem admin is letting it slide (again).
    That's yet another thing where what Trump was able to do to the judicial system works against the current administration. The doctrine of qualified immunity protects the worst people in government, and the judges Trump appointed are almost all big fans of what he did on immigration. Do the Democrats spend their limited resources pursuing this, knowing that they are certain to lose, or trying to do literally anything else?
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Adoption isn’t as much of an option for children who aren’t white. The majority of Americans seeking to adopt are white and they don’t tend to seek non-white children.
    As to the second point, I’d say that certain states have already taken that choice from people.
    There are people willing to adopt across racial lines. Roughly 44% of adopted kindergarteners are raised by parents if a different ethnicity/ race.

The biggest barrier to adoptions of African American children may be parental rights, as these are often children of parents who are found to be abusive or neglectful. One important question is whether to use the “best interest of the child” principle or the “family preservation” principle, when determining decisions like termination of parental right, as this makes adoption more difficult legally.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Women having control over their medical decisions is also a good thing. I think less of a person who imposes their bronze age morality onto someone else in a free society.
    I understand where you're coming from.

A distinction here is that there's more of an understanding that some people will believe that abortion causes significant harm. We don't know when life begins and a fetus is morally equivalent to a human infant. Some people will be more cavalier; perhaps they are atheists who don't believe in the concept of the soul and will conclude that due to limited cognitive ability, the death of a fetus is equivalent to the death of a turkey. People are going to feel differently on this.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Interracial and gay marriage are positive things. If someone chooses to exclude people of different races as romantic prospects, we think less of that person.
    I feel you are oversimplifying this. Some people are simply not attracted to other races even if they otherwise get along with them. I am not sure it would be fair to say those people have a moral failing because of it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Im shocked they havnt started the forced Abortion crap. They already go all in on parents forcing their kids to be gay/trans.
    The reason that’s unlikely is because that type of thing is tied far more thoroughly to racist/elitist/sexist eugenics and to powerful men pressuring their mistresses to do so; the latter is a well known thing that has killed dozens of pro-life political careers, and the former, scarily, enough, might be the agenda of some right wing groups once more.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Democrats passed the Inflation Reduction Act. It's not a perfect bill, and some key provisions were stripped out, but it's something.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Democrats passed the Inflation Reduction Act. It's not a perfect bill, and some key provisions were stripped out, but it's something.
    Better an imperfect bill than no bill at all.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

It's a start. If the Dems can somehow manage to hold control of the House and Senate, maybe even improve their number's a little (yeah, I know, it's not gonna be easy) then maybe they can improve on this.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

There are people willing to adopt across racial lines. Roughly 44% of adopted kindergarteners are raised by parents if a different ethnicity/ race.

The biggest barrier to adoptions of African American children may be parental rights, as these are often children of parents who are found to be abusive or neglectful. One important question is whether to use the “best interest of the child” principle or the “family preservation” principle, when determining decisions like termination of parental right, as this makes adoption more difficult legally.

I understand where you're coming from.

A distinction here is that there's more of an understanding that some people will believe that abortion causes significant harm. We don't know when life begins and a fetus is morally equivalent to a human infant. Some people will be more cavalier; perhaps they are atheists who don't believe in the concept of the soul and will conclude that due to limited cognitive ability, the death of a fetus is equivalent to the death of a turkey. People are going to feel differently on this.
    Overall, a white child is almost three times more likely to be adopted than a Black or Hispanic child. So, people may be more open to adoption of kindergartners of other races but that doesn’t translate to all adoptions.

Lacking any actual evidence of souls it seems unreasonable for a minority group to force legislation supporting their beliefs on the entire country. Wouldn’t it seem unreasonable for Hindus in the US to force leglistlation outlawing the slaughter of cattle?
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 08-07-2022 at 01:45 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

One big thing missing is the cap on insulin prices.

Because the GOP just has to demand that a life saving medication bankrupt the people that need it.

I wouldn't even compare it to an animal. I am a vegetarian and I care a lot about deaths of animals that are caused for human whims. Personally, I see the fetus more like a tumor - something that is growing in another person's body, potentially causing a huge danger for her health. But as you say, we all see it differently.

Actually, this is a good analogue, I think. As a vegetarian, I have to accept that I don't have a right to prohibit people from eating meat, no matter how moral I think it would be and how many innocent lives of animals it would save. Animals that are being slaughtered under horrible circumstances, many of them bred only for this purpose. When people can very well survive on plant-based diet (barring some medical issues). I can try to appeal to people, but I don't have a right to force my views on anyone and I have to accept that if I go about it too strongly, like showing people images of bloody corpses while they're eating, they will think I'm nuts and probably stop talking to me. So I prefer to just live according to my views and let others do the same.

I wish all religious people who believe that life begins at conception could behave the same way.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred