Page 1492 of 1553 FirstFirst ... 49299213921442148214881489149014911492149314941495149615021542 ... LastLast
Results 22,366 to 22,380 of 23293
  1. #22366
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    23,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I wish I had better photo manipulations skills but I kept wishing I could edit this video so that his nose would grow.....
    Well, anyone with two working brain cells already knew Trump was lying out his orange ass. No video manipulation was needed.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  2. #22367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    It may exist on paper, but I'm pretty sure that there is no longer a single GOP.
    There's a pro-sedition caucus and an anti-sedition GOP caucus. Sadly, the former is outnumbering the latter 95% to 5% in the House.

    In the Senate... who knows. Last percentage count was *does maths* 7 to 43? So 14% pro-sedition, 86% anti-sedition, if you go by accepting the election results.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  3. #22368
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    No crisis is tailormade for anything.



    Trump did in fact monetize COVID-19 relief, by hoarding masks, and stopping bidding war and insider trading and so on.



    HE DID DO THAT!!!

    Trump and his administration slow-dragged the Pandemic because initially it targeted blue states and affected minority voters so he figured that this was a blue voter problem and basically acted so that deaths would go up in Dem states and so on, to better attack and help his party and his administration.

    Trump did all he could in the authoritarian playbook and failed.



    IT had an impact in the sense that "every little vote counts" and so on, but more than that it didn't. Certainly not significantly more than the other groups who played a far more decisive role for the heavy Democrat turnout and vote.

    It certainly didn't have an impact to deserve or merit being the protagonist of reality or the protagonist of 2020 elections even.
    Trump had bad policies that probably hurt him in the 2020 election.

    He could have instituted other policies that would have been bad, and could have helped in the 2020 election. He could have declared nationwide curfews and gone after Black Lives Matter, or something like that.

    Conservatives who went from Trump to Biden aren't the protagonist of the 2020 election.

    However, given how close the election was (less than a percent in the tipping point state) and how Biden hit various electoral sweet spots (connection to Pennsylvania, high approval rating among African American voters, etc.) it does seem likely that Democrats were lucky to have nominated him, and that if they had gone with Warren or Sanders, Trump would be a week away from his second inaugural.

    This is something progressives should wrestle with. If they had gotten what they wanted in the primaries, would they have lost? If not, what's the evidence?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  4. #22369
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    7,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Trump had bad policies that probably hurt him in the 2020 election.

    He could have instituted other policies that would have been bad, and could have helped in the 2020 election. He could have declared nationwide curfews and gone after Black Lives Matter, or something like that.
    It's kind of jarring to see someone casually admit that cracking down on an anti-racist movement (which by the way Trump in fact did) would make someone electable, without any remorse or qualification that this was a bad thing.

    If they had gotten what they wanted in the primaries, would they have lost? If not, what's the evidence?
    I already presented the evidence. Lichtman's Keys to the White House only has one key pertaining to the challenger. Is the challenger charismatic or not? The rest of the keys all have to do with the Incumbent. Biden wasn't charismatic per Lichtman's definition and he still won, because Trump was just that bad an incumbent.

    Had Sanders been on the ballot, he being charismatic would have taken another key from Trump.

    Lichtman and others point out that Presidential elections aren't about campaigns, and not entirely about the platform or the challenging candidate. It's a referendum on the Incumbent, or the Incumbent's party candidate (in case of Prezs on the second and final term).

    More direct evidence than that simply doesn't exist for either your argument or mine.

  5. #22370
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    It's kind of jarring to see someone casually admit that cracking down on an anti-racist movement (which by the way Trump in fact did) would make someone electable, without any remorse or qualification that this was a bad thing.



    I already presented the evidence. Lichtman's Keys to the White House only has one key pertaining to the challenger. Is the challenger charismatic or not? The rest of the keys all have to do with the Incumbent. Biden wasn't charismatic per Lichtman's definition and he still won, because Trump was just that bad an incumbent.

    Had Sanders been on the ballot, he being charismatic would have taken another key from Trump.

    Lichtman and others point out that Presidential elections aren't about campaigns, and not entirely about the platform or the challenging candidate. It's a referendum on the Incumbent, or the Incumbent's party candidate (in case of Prezs on the second and final term).

    More direct evidence than that simply doesn't exist for either your argument or mine.
    Perhaps you missed the section where I explicitly and unambiguously said it would have been a bad thing by writing "He could have instituted other policies that would have been bad, and could have helped in the 2020 election. "
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  6. #22371
    Invincible Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    20,081

    Default

    While there was obviously a whole lot going on today...

    https://wgntv.com/news/police-reform...overnors-desk/

    Police reform bill passes Illinois House and Senate, headed to governor’s desk

  7. #22372
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    16,352

    Default

    I wanted to bump this up from last night because this story was getting some play again today on MSNBC and CNN. I am curious as to who these members of congress were and so far no names have been released. There was a few more details brought out in this article I thought from the beginning there was inside help on this.

    Majority Whip James E. Clyburn is not a signatory on the letter, but he has raised questions about how rioters knew some of the most hidden, obscure destinations in the Capitol to target and loot.

    Clyburn’s second-floor office, with his name above the door, remained untouched during the destruction and violence last week. But a more private office, which is unmarked on the third floor, was targeted.

    “There are many members of the United States Congress right now who could not tell you where that office is and could not find that office if they needed to,” the South Carolina Democrat told MSNBC.

    “Yeah, but they found it. Nobody touched the door where my name is,” he said.

  8. #22373
    Invincible Jersey Girl Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I wanted to bump this up from last night because this story was getting some play again today on MSNBC and CNN. I am curious as to who these members of congress were and so far no names have been released. There was a few more details brought out in this article I thought from the beginning there was inside help on this.
    Sherrill was on with Maddow tonight. The reason why she can't name names is because there is an ongoing investigation, or will be soon. In time the names will come out, though there are some possible suspects in the news already. People crazy enough, or wrapped up in the cults enough to do something like that.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  9. #22374
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    16,352

    Default

    GOP Rep. Paul Gosar's Siblings Call for his Removal, Citing Involvement in Capitol Riot.

    "The message to my brother is that, you know, he must resign, if not be expelled, from Congress," Jennifer Gosar told CNN's Alisyn Camerota. "The point in time to reach my brother, I think that's been past. I know that at this point, the most that we can do as citizens, as constituents, as the public, demand that the members of Congress involved be held accountable, and that includes expulsion," she added. "To my brother, I think the time is up. It's time to acknowledge the hurt and the hate."

    Paul Gosar, a staunch Trump ally, has been one of the lawmakers identified by far-right activist Ali Alexander as being instrumental in helping plan the January 6 insurrection. Alexander, who has identified himself as the individual who came up with the idea of storming of the Capitol, has told the press that he was regularly in contact with Paul Gosar, as well as Republican Representatives Andy Briggs and Mo Brooks.
    His brother Tim also noted that Gosar was a birther and said Obama was an illegitimate president, believes the Pope is a leftist politician and that George Soros is a Nazi sympathizer who "gave up his people to the Nazis". I'd be willing to bet that he also believes the moon landing was fake and that Elvis is still alive.

  10. #22375
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    16,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Sherrill was on with Maddow tonight. The reason why she can't name names is because there is an ongoing investigation, or will be soon. In time the names will come out, though there are some possible suspects in the news already. People crazy enough, or wrapped up in the cults enough to do something like that.
    Thanks Tami....I missed that appearance but saw Lawrence O'Donnell bring it up.

  11. #22376

  12. #22377
    Invincible Jersey Girl Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26,601

    Default

    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  13. #22378
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    89

    Default



    Picture Picture

  14. #22379
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    16,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rogersmcfeely View Post


    Picture Picture
    That is the perfect response to those who think Trump is anything like Captain America. Sad to read that some of that mob were wearing anything with Captain America on it.

  15. #22380
    Invincible Jersey Girl Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    That is the perfect response to those who think Trump is anything like Captain America. Sad to read that some of that mob were wearing anything with Captain America on it.
    They beat up police officers using American flags, they then call themselves Patriots, they have no concept of what America is.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •