Page 202 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 1021521921981992002012022032042052062122523027021202 ... LastLast
Results 3,016 to 3,030 of 75153

Right wing fearmongering and hysteria once again has consequences for innocent people;

https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/c...ers-of-antifa/

FORKS —A multi-racial family of four from Spokane was accused of being members of Antifa, followed and prevented from leaving their campsite by trees felled to block the road, Clallam County Sheriff’s deputies said.
    Four high school students cut the trees with chainsaws to allow the family to leave, said Sgt. Ed Anderson in a press release issued late Thursday.
    The Clallam County Sheriff’s Office is actively conducting a criminal investigation into the incident and is seeking information regarding those involved, Anderson said.
    Names of the campers or the high school students were not available Thursday.

Deputies were dispatched at about 6:39 p.m. Wednesday to the Sitkum Sol Duc Road, which is known locally as the A Road, in Forks following a request for assistance from four stranded campers, Anderson said.
    The campers were stranded after someone had felled alder trees across the roadway, preventing their exit from the area, he said.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 06-05-2020 at 08:19 AM.

Trump attempting to surround himself with a Trump loyalist army.

That's not worrisome at all.

Before we get too far into the day I want to review information that has come out about the situation in Washington, DC and the President’s attempt to militarize the city in response to protests near the White House. As I noted last night, all the National Guard troops in the city or en route appear to be from states with Republican governors: They come from Utah, South Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri and Florida. What we learned yesterday is that the administration had been refused troops by governors in New York, Pennsylvania, Delaware and Virginia.
    https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog...-trump-loyalty

... oh wow.

New Trump Appointee to Foreign Aid Agency Has Denounced Liberal Democracy and “Our Homo-Empire”
    https://www.propublica.org/article/n...-empire#962572

But hey! Remember when people right here on this very thread told us that Trump was a social liberal and would be no threat to gay and trans people and equivocated on his position, even after Pence, versus Hillary's?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Starfish View Post
    since May 26 over 250 press freedom violations have been reported

https://cpj.org/
    I'm sure that pleases Trump no end, given his hatred of any news outlet or media resource that doesn't pledge undying fealty to him like Faux News and kiss his orange ass. To everyone else not beholden to or brainwashed by right wing spin, this is disturbing because it's a direct assault on those who stand at ground zero and report about what's going on.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Starfish View Post
    since May 26 over 250 press freedom violations have been reported

https://cpj.org/
    The US is gonna slide way down on those annual freedom of the press charts.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    The last time the Act was used with out the consent of the State was in Alabama to enforce desegregation of schools... that's right the US Army occupied public schools so that people of color can go there.
    I always find it funny when people refer to the Army as a "broad sword" or a "hammer" in the need of a scalpel. The chances are people who say such things never served, or if they did not in a combat MOS. The US army are discipline individuals with an operational knowledge of engagement that more than capable.
    You are factually correct, but there are two differences that impose some nuance between the Alabama case and the current one. First, the Alabama Army National Guard was, in part, being federalized to prevent then-Governor Wallace from deploying them against judicial integration orders, and there's no court order forbidding protest in this case. Second, the population in protest of the federal act (segregationists) did not have a history of being oppressed by uniformed institutions.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Has anything good ever come out of those political videos non-journalists record in their basements?
    Tami's would be different.

For one thing, I'd actually watch it.

Even if it isn't the best thing in the world initially it could always lead to something better.

Personally, I've always found the self-expression/exploration aspect of creativity the most important.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    The US is gonna slide way down on those annual freedom of the press charts.

Republican leadership.

"No tear gas was used and no rubber bullets were used.”
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-05-2020 at 08:42 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    To be honest, I don't think Trump has the balls to go that far, otherwise, he would've already done so earlier in the week when the looting and violence was at it's peak in cities like New York, Philly, Chicago et al. To do so now when things have quieted down for the most part would be seen as foolish at best, and a wanton abuse of his powers at worst.
    I'm not so confident. All it takes is the wrong rant from Faux News.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post

Even if it isn't the best thing in the world initially it could always lead to something better.

Personally, I've always found the self-expression aspect of creativity the most important.
    Thank you!!
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Thank you!!
    Go for it, Invincible Jersey Girl.

Makes me think of Kamala -- represent.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post

Personally, I've always found the self-expression/exploration aspect of creativity the most important.

Republican leadership.
    Now they are seating the journalists very close together during press briefings again, it's the end of social distancing.

A cynic might say Trump is trying to use SARS-Cov-2 as a biological weapon against his enemy, the press.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    A cynic might say Trump is trying to use SARS-Cov-2 as a biological weapon against his enemy, the press.
    Not so much a cynic but anyone who knows Trump.

-----
    "Their system is a disaster," Trump said. "What you will see there soon is a revolution; the signs are all there with the demonstrations and picketing. Russia is out of control and the leadership knows it. That's my problem with [former Soviet President Mikhail] Gorbachev. Not a firm enough hand.

"When the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it. Then they were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength," Trump replied. "That shows you the power of strength. Our country is right now perceived as weak...as being spit on by the rest of the world."

On June 4, 1989, after several weeks of pro-democracy and pro-reform demonstrations, Chinese troops entered Tiananmen Square in Beijing and fired on unarmed people. Hundreds, possibly thousands, were killed."

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...rotests-2020-6

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Libertarian here and these are some of the solutions being discussed in our circles in regards to police brutality (the short version):

End qualified immunity. There is a bill being proposed to congress right now and you can read more about it here: https://lpgeorgia.com/endqualifiedim...cQvtjEQvqDfBT4
    I have already contacted my representatives to support this proposal.

Demilitarize the police.

Make officers pay for their own abuse settlements.

Prosecute police for civil rights violations.

If you want more in-dept information, I strongly suggest you check out Spike Cohen on Facebook. He is the Libertarian VP nominee and has had several REALLY GOOD live videos on his facebook page discussing these issues and tackling them from a libertarian prospective.

Also, since I am volunteering at a grassroots level for The Jo Jorgensen/Spike Cohen ticket check out the campaign page at Joj2020.com. Finally, Jo and Spike will be having an ask me anything facebook live event tonight from 5-6 EST on Jo Jorgensen's facebook. This would be a great opportunity to get answers straight from the candidates!
    Another one is to severely roll back civil asset forfeiture. The Libertarian Party isn't opposed to the underlying premise, but wants it limited to those who are actually convicted of a crime.

Libertarians have long been distrustful of the police - they are distrustful of all government, not just those guys at the DMV. They are also worried about those government agents who are armed, authorized to take lives and freedom away, and somehow get to answer to themselves when things go wrong.

One thing to remember with the word libertarian is that it has been co-opted by corporate-rule Republicans. That group is as libertarian as Trump is christian - it may fool some people who WANT to be fooled, but that doesn't make it true.
    Dark does not mean deep.

So....race war or civil war ? I'm thinking Civil War.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Another one is to severely roll back civil asset forfeiture. The Libertarian Party isn't opposed to the underlying premise, but wants it limited to those who are actually convicted of a crime.

Libertarians have long been distrustful of the police - they are distrustful of all government, not just those guys at the DMV. They are also worried about those government agents who are armed, authorized to take lives and freedom away, and somehow get to answer to themselves when things go wrong.

One thing to remember with the word libertarian is that it has been co-opted by corporate-rule Republicans. That group is as libertarian as Trump is christian - it may fool some people who WANT to be fooled, but that doesn't make it true.
    Well said!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!