Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Having Mitch McConnell publicly and repeatedly clown him and making a show of it over the course of months isn't going to help. It's painting him into the corner of supporting the reform, to where he can say, "I personally did everything I could to make concessions, and every time he threw it in my face while I was trying to pass a law that 3/4 of the country wants passed. Truly, working within the Senate with Mitch McConnell is untenable."

Which, already should be obvious, but maybe not to people in West Virginia, who still haven't grokked onto the fact that Trump is and always was a con man.
    Well, they have a black woman they can blame now so what else is Mitch gonna do? That said, they are doing exactly what they need to do to give Joe Manchin the cover he needs. Sinema is way less astute and clever a politician than Manchin, so I suspect she may be the bigger problem at this point. Sinema is heading quickly to a stiff primary challenge.

*sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post

Julie Dupre

Welcome to what is the 994th profile here at “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day”, where we’ll be profiling Julie Dupre, a 2020 candidate for District 49 of the Minnesota State Senate, and yet another Republican who ran for office that year while touting the Qanon conspiracy theory. Specifically, when asked by the local press about her support for QAnon, Dupre referred to it as “a really great information source” and “one of many that I use.” When you’re referring to “Q” like it’s a search engine, that’s distinctly a problem.

For some perspective, Julie Dupre was such a conspiratorial nutjob that Pat Garofalo, who we’ve long profiled here at CSGOPOTD, actually called on the Minnesota GOP to rescind their endorsement of her. When that guy thinks you’re too extreme for office, that is definitely saying something.

Julie Dupre lost in the general election, getting just 37% of the vote, about 15,000 votes off the pace of what she needed. We hope she gets the psychological help she clearly needs.
    When someone uses a phrase like, "...one of many [information sources] I use," they are implying that sometimes, when one source contradicts another, that sometimes source A wins out and sometimes source B wins out. So I would like to ask Ms. Dupre, can you give us a for instance where Q said one thing and some other source said something else and you decided that the other source made more sense than Q and you let others on the Q site know this? Something tells me that she would not be able to come up with a single instance.
    Watching television is not an activity.

“I’ve done all this stuff for the Blacks—it’s always Jared telling me to do this,” Trump said to one confidante. “And they all fucking hate me, and none of them are going to vote for me.”

‘I Made Juneteenth Very Famous’: The Inside Story of Trump’s Post-George Floyd Month

For Father’s Day in 2020, what Donald Trump mostly wanted was to avoid his son-in-law.

It was Jared Kushner who had talked the president into hiring Brad Parscale to run a campaign that was now, just months before the election, in freefall. And when most Americans rejected Trump’s unreasonably truculent response to the civil unrest that was sweeping the country, the president also blamed Kushner.
    The frustration and anguish that had accrued among Black Americans after decades of debasing systemic racism had been emphatically—finally—cracked open by the death of George Floyd, who’d been murdered by police a few weeks earlier. As protesters poured into the streets of the nation’s capital and major municipalities, Trump privately told advisers that he wished he’d been quicker to support police and more aggressive in his pushback against protesters.

Trump had staked nearly his entire campaign in 2016 around a law-and-order image, and now groaned that the criminal justice reform that Kushner had persuaded him to support made him look weak and—even worse—hadn’t earned him any goodwill among Black voters.

“I’ve done all this stuff for the Blacks—it’s always Jared telling me to do this,” Trump said to one confidante on Father’s Day. “And they all f------ hate me, and none of them are going to vote for me.”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

BANNED

In fairness he did, somehow, in a way that boggles the f##king mind, actually have gains in his share of the black vote in 2020 compared to his haul in 2016. It's one of those statistics that makes you question your understanding of reality. Like, four years of this guy showing you he was who you thought he was and that equals more votes (overall and amongst minorities)? Rural, white, uneducated (I seem to be describing myself now) I get. I wonder if people who study these things for a living are similarly baffled?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    In fairness he did, somehow, in a way that boggles the f##king mind, actually have gains in his share of the black vote in 2020 compared to his haul in 2016. It's one of those statistics that makes you question your understanding of reality. Like, four years of this guy showing you he was who you thought he was and that equals more votes (overall and amongst minorities)? Rural, white, uneducated (I seem to be describing myself now) I get. I wonder if people who study these things for a living are similarly baffled?
    What were his gains, though?

I think people tend to forget the country grows every day, so having more people vote in an election makes sense.

It's when you see a sizable shift in % you should get excited.

The GOP share for black voters grew in numbers overall, but not in % points compared to other voting blocs.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Sigh...will people get over their narratives of the 2020 Election Week already?

Michael Harriot already wrote about the "myth" of Trump's gain in black voters:
    https://www.theroot.com/the-myth-of-...ter-1845502044

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

That's where I was going with my comment.

Thanks for the data!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

The only thing that irked me was the blanket statement that all Whites vote Republican. I can forgive that though since it was an otherwise well-written article with good solid data.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    What were his gains, though?
    Here's a BBC article with a breakdown of the situation. Being a topic of interest, might have a different view than the Root link (certainly trying to be impartial rather than push a narrative) but has some numbers and explanations for them. And they go the other way, say percentages rose for Trump. But more people voting overall helped push Biden over the edge.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54972389

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Here's a BBC article with a breakdown of the situation. Being a topic of interest, might have a different view than the Root link
    Yes because limey smartypants who can't deal with Brexit are the ones who can inform us about the African-American community rather than an actual African-American intellectual living in America talking about the heroic agency of minority voters who overthrew Trump.

(certainly trying to be impartial rather than push a narrative)
    The narrative being pushed is underclass betrayal of their interests and so on, which makes sense that the BBC are drawn to that because the British, and the British media and news industry especially, have a natural hatred for poor people.

Michael Harriot is offering clear insight that explains actual voting patterns and behavior of African-American voters over decades.

Yes because limey smartypants who can't deal with Brexit are the ones who can inform us about the African-American community rather than an actual African-American intellectual living in America talking about the heroic agency of minority voters who overthrew Trump.

The narrative being pushed is underclass betrayal of their interests and so on, which makes sense that the BBC are drawn to that because the British, and the British media and news industry especially, have a natural hatred for poor people.

Michael Harriot is offering clear insight that explains actual voting patterns and behavior of African-American voters over decades.
    If the Republican candidate in 2024 has the percentage 2016 Trump had with white people and the percentage 2020 Trump had with African American and Hispanic voters, that person will be the 47th President.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I think people tend to forget the country grows every day, so having more people vote in an election makes sense.

It's when you see a sizable shift in % you should get excited.

The GOP share for black voters grew in numbers overall, but not in % points compared to other voting blocs.
    There was a slight increase in percentage.

https://www.vox.com/2020/11/4/215379...ers-exit-polls

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I can understand that, but I think one can be cynical in one area and naive in another. Manchin seems to honestly believe that bipartisanship is possible, or at least he did. McQuisling's latest, especially with the directed vitriol, seems to have shaken Manchin out of his fantasies. The question is will his campaign donors be able to push him back in?
    I suspect Manchn's campaign donors are aware that he is one of the five most valuable Democrats in Congress.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 06-18-2021 at 04:48 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    If the Republican candidate in 2024 has the percentage 2016 Trump had with white people and the percentage 2020 Trump had with African American and Hispanic voters, that person will be the 47th President.
    Not with the way vote suppression bills are being signed. You are aware that the vote suppression bills enacted by the GOP are also going to make it harder for minority conservatives to vote as well, right?

Not with the way vote suppression bills are being signed. You are aware that the vote suppression bills enacted by the GOP are also going to make it harder for minority conservatives to vote as well, right?
    It's also very likely that a non-Trump candidate will be able to activate white voters as well as he did.

As has been pointed out, the GOP traded high propensity voting suburban voters for low-propensity rural voters that don't turn out as much when Trump isn't on the ballot. It remains to be seen how much of that loss the GOP can claw back.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 06-18-2021 at 06:51 PM.

Ultimate Member

This.....

Those bills are not singling out just Democrats in the hood but Republicans as well.

It would be way easier for Republicans to go after black and brown votes than toss out those bills. If the narrative is democrats take black votes for granted. If that is the case what is stopping Republicans?

It should not be that hard. Instead of screaming about how bad democrat states are.