Speaking of close races, I thought that now that Lauren Underwood actually won the race with Oberweis?

Oberweis is looking for a recount.

Extraordinary Member

I actually try to make sure I only use the traditionally female-gendered insults against straight dudes - because in general they’re insulting very specifically to people like me, a straight white guy - but avoid using it against women or non-straight men. It’s a flagrant double standard on my part, and still not exactly kosher, and it’s not really about avoiding sexism as much as striving for specificity in my targets for insults - if you use a gendered insult against that same gender, the generalization makes it more like a weak shotgun, so it won’t have the same impact on your target and might catch innocent people in the crossfire.

Like, I’d be more likely to call Trumo himself a bitch on the basis it communicates the exact kind of emasculating insult I’d want to use against him, but I’d be less inclined to use it on his female family members, not really out of respect for them, but because it would both lose some “oomph” because people expect that insult for women more, and because a lot of the connotations aren’t what I’m ticked at when it comes to them.

Also, if we’re debating classical comparison or metaphors for Trump... I’d go with Nero. He’s a more pathetic and loathsomely weak in his self-absorption than a barbarian would be... and I taught a lesson to day where I was drawing parallels between Nero and Trumo with actually making it clear to my kids because it was the best way to express my contempt for Nero even in a family that includes the nutcase that is Caligula, and I was kind of hoping some of the kids would remember that and naturally begin applying that comparison themselves years later without feeling like I pushed it on them and thus resist it.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

The damage one man can do.
    Dr. Li-Meng Yan wanted to remain anonymous. It was mid-January, and Yan, a researcher in Hong Kong, had been hearing rumors about a dangerous new virus in mainland China that the government was playing down. Terrified for her personal safety and career, she reached out to her favorite Chinese YouTube host, known for criticizing the Chinese government.

Within days, the host was telling his 100,000 followers that the coronavirus had been deliberately released by the Chinese Communist Party. He wouldn’t name the whistleblower, he said, because officials could make the person “disappear.”

By September, Yan had abandoned caution. She appeared in the United States on Fox News, making the unsubstantiated claim to millions that the coronavirus was a bioweapon manufactured by China.
    https://news.yahoo.com/steve-bannon-...131003276.html

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    People in this thread believe whatever you want, but I stand by my prediction. In November you'll see I'm right, until then goodbye. This thread is very negative so I see no reason to waste my time by lingering here. Life is gloomy enough already.
    Hope you have cheered up a little now. Better days are on the way.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Now we'll finally find out if high amounts of cocaine in a patient's blood stream will make covid-19 better or worse.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Now we'll finally find out if high amounts of cocaine in a patient's blood stream will make covid-19 better or worse.
    My guess? Probably worse.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    First, I'm not a Political Scientist. I'm a different flavor of intellectual huckster.

Second, what you describe is not fascism. Under the classical Greco-Roman definition, Trump's a barbarian.
    Well, actually it's just fascism when it's from the Fassbach region of Germany. Everything else is just sparkling totalitarianism.

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Right. I know who she is. I dislike her as much as anyone.

And I get it. But maybe not everyone know who she is? Maybe it still reads a certain way, and makes it seem okay to talk about women that way? Maybe not, too. I don't know.
    Personally, I try not to tell women how to talk about other women.

Hillary was right!

Well, actually it's just fascism when it's from the Fassbach region of Germany. Everything else is just sparkling totalitarianism.
    Italy, actually.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Being German I had to look this up. Then got your joke.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    In practical terms though, most of them probably have better chances at getting elected in the future by aligning themselves with Trump, because that base will still be around after all this is over and vastly outnumbers the country club set that claims to be the "mainstream" GOP. Luckily most of the people that are angling for a 2024 run don't really seem all that charismatic and certainly don't have that kind of alpha ape energy that Trump exudes, though who knows, in 2015 Trump himself seemed more like a sad sack has-been than anything, so I wouldn't rule out someone like Tom Cotton suddenly becoming this fire-eating rabble rouser.
    There is a myth out there pushed by Fox news that 72 million people are hard core Trump supporters. This to me is lie. 72 million people voted republican not necessarily for Trump , the majority of those 72 million people will admit Trump has a shitty character, likely a racist, and is probably an immoral person but they had no choice than to vote for him because he was the republican candidate. Still many are happy to see him gone. Trump has a base yes, but I guarantee you that Bill Clinton pre-Hilary run for president, Regan and Obama have more super fans than Trump does.

Intermediary

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    There is a myth out there pushed by Fox news that 72 million people are hard core Trump supporters. This to me is lie. 72 million people voted republican not necessarily for Trump , the majority of those 72 million people will admit Trump has a shitty character, likely a racist, and is probably an immoral person but they had no choice than to vote for him because he was the republican candidate. Still many are happy to see him gone. Trump has a base yes, but I guarantee you that Bill Clinton pre-Hilary run for president, Regan and Obama have more super fans than Trump does.
    72 million Aholes had no problem voting for an openly hostile administration

they are trash

they are collaborators and we should treat them as such

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Biden beat Trump by only about 12,670 votes. Democratic candidate Doug Jones defeated Republican candidate Roy Moore by a margin of 21,924 votes (1.63%)

Yeah it is narrower. But not as narrow as Gore/Bush margin in Florida. Bush won Florida by a margin of 537 votes.
    Georgia is also a bigger state, where a difference of 22,000 votes will be less than 1.63%.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post

they are trash

Or they have major policy differences with the other political party.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I read a nurse describing on twitter how patients who are VERY sick with covid-19 are using what air they have to scream at her that the virus is not deadly, so something else must be wrong with them and they will sue the hospital if they don't figure out the REAL cause of their illness.

So, yeah.
    This story appears to have holes in it.

https://www.wired.com/story/are-covi...l-as-they-die/

Doering’s statement that she’s watched “so many” people die from the disease even as they deny its very existence, endlessly repeated on social media and presented by news outlets without corroboration, would seem to represent a broader phenomenon.

ut other nurses who work in similar settings say they’ve seen nothing of the kind.

I called a number of hospitals in the same part of South Dakota to ask emergency room nurses if they’d noticed the same, disturbing phenomenon. At Avera Weskota Memorial Hospital, about 20 minutes from Doering’s hometown of Woonsocket, an ER nurse told me, “I have not had that experience here.” At my request, Kim Rieger, the VP for communications and marketing at Huron Regional Medical Center, one of the four medical facilities where Doering works, spoke with several nurses at Huron to get their reactions to the CNN interview. None said they’d interacted with Covid patients who denied having the disease. “Most patients are grateful, and thankful for our help,” one told her. “I have not experienced this, nor have I been told of this experience, ever,” another said.

This in no way means that Doering’s account is untrue. But it provides, at minimum, some important context that was completely absent from the CNN interview and from all the media amplification that followed. Little or no effort was made to assess the scope of the problem that Doering so memorably described. How many Covid-19 patients in South Dakota are really so blinkered by disinformation that they're enraged at their caregivers and, in their final moments on earth, still dispute what’s happening? No one bothered to find out.

Alisyn Camerota, the CNN anchor who conducted the interview, is an Emmy Award–winning journalist. Tracy Connor, who covered the story for the Daily Beast, is that publication’s executive editor. They and others simply repeated Doering’s anecdotes, framed as an astounding embodiment of red-state denialism. The Washington Post article quotes at length from Doering’s tweets and TV interview, and claims—without providing any further evidence—that Covid patients seen by other health care workers “are reluctant to acknowledge that they have been infected with a virus that President Trump has said will simply disappear.” Similar write-ups appeared in the Daily Beast and HuffPost.

Perhaps it’s worth considering that Huron Regional Medical Center has seen a total of six Covid-19 deaths to date. Beadle County, where Huron is located, has registered a total of 22 such deaths, 13 of which occurred since August 1. And in Sanborn County, where Doering lives, there’s been one Covid-19 death. It’s certainly possible that the other facilities where Doering works have seen a higher number of fatalities; she may indeed have watched a great many patients die, as so many frontline workers have. But when all we have is one person’s story, it’s hard to know exactly what it means.

In fact, this episode has some similarities to other weakly sourced accounts of Covid denialism in states that vote Republican. In July we heard reports of rampant “Covid parties.” One version of this story had college students in Tuscaloosa hosting parties with infected guests, and then betting on who else would catch the virus. Another took the form of a second-hand account from a nurse in San Antonio. A 30-year-old patient was said to have admitted just before he died that he’d gotten sick by going to a Covid party. “I thought it was a hoax,” he allegedly told the nurse, “but it’s not.”

As WIRED’s Gilad Edelman reported at the time, none of these accounts held up to further scrutiny—yet each had been picked up from its original source and then amplified by larger publications that added little or no additional reporting. There’s good reason for these stories to be passed along, Edelman wrote. The hospital administrator who first went public with the story of the last-breath Covid-party confession is “trying desperately to get the American public to take the coronavirus seriously. If she hears a perfect cautionary tale, it isn’t necessarily her responsibility to investigate whether it’s too perfect before passing it along. It is, however, precisely the job of reporters.”
    This is part of the reason many people don't trust the media. Stories that fit a particular narrative spread quickly without necessary scrutiny.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post

they are trash

THIS

Folks had no issue supporting a man who resume speaks for itself.

This was NOT an election where in every state you had to vote straight ticket. Many of us had a choice to vote in each election slot.

If I wanted a Republican to keep control in my district-I could have voted for them and vote for say the Liberation woman that was running for President.

You don't keep the person who done his best to RUIN your party in office. You get him out.