Page 181 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 811311711771781791801811821831841851912312816811181 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,715 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Calling in the military to try and suppress the protests is going to have disastrous results, in the age of social media, can you imagine if soldiers start gunning down protesters in the streets?

As always the people in charge are fixated on the optics of the situation, rather than thinking of how they can address the material concerns that the protesters have. It's pretty clear that the police aren't prepared to accept any substantial reforms and are just waiting for this whole thing to blow over and resume exactly what they had been doing before, but at best that just means delaying the chaos until the next time some cop is caught on camera killing an unarmed suspect. And while no one is happy about shops being looted, when politicians and pundits cry crocodile tears over property damage while completely ignoring people being shot and choked to death, it's pretty hard to really believe that "both sides are just as bad" narrative.
    It's not just property damage... there are plenty of stories about the owners of the property being damaged too. A lot of people for better or for worse have attempted to defend their homes and livelihoods and unfortunately paid the price for that decision. So people are getting hurt on both sides. Whether one side or the other is just as bad is somewhat moot at this point... it's not a contest. I think the behavior of certain extremists on both ends need to be stopped. It's as simple as that. Rather than debating on whether or not it's worse to pepper spray a child or bead down a restaurante owner so they can destroy his livelihood, lets just say both terrible.

And reforms I'm sure will be a discussion we will have when the immediate crisis is over. But it's not something that's going to happen WHILE the looting and the rioting is actually occuring. That has to stop, and if the police and protestors can't do it then Trump will. And YES that's potentially disasterous... which is why hopefully it won't come to that.

I'll say this though... in this particular instance I am 1000% okay if they can even delay the chaos. Right now we're in the middle of a pandemic. Hundreds of people are likely going to die because these protests are occuring at the worst possible time. If all this can even be delayed a few months, potentially a lot of lives could be sparred. So yeah... if we can even arrange a delay, that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    The difference is at the end of the day the peaceful protesters can go home with a clear conscience that they aren't criminals. OTOH the police as stated earlier in this thread are either thugs or deliberately silence on thugish behavior to a degree the protesters aren't. Out on the streets it isn't wise or even possible for protestors to stop criminals taking advantage of the chaos. Officers can stop each others bad behavior and/or report it they have the tools to do both. Most choose to not to do so in order to protect themselves. That's a big difference to me.
    I'm sure plenty of police can go home with a clear conscience too. Saying that ALL police are brutilizing peaceful protestors is just as wrong as saying ALL protestors are burning down buildings. A few bad apples on both sides are unfortunately escalating things to the point we are at now.

But as far as the protestors go... I think even the peaceful ones do have something they'll have have to carry on their conscience down the line. Again, I hate to beat this dead horse but we're in the middle of a pandemic now. The decision to NOT follow social distancing protocals will likely result in people dying. Many logically will be the protestors themselves as they're obviously the most ask risk... but if they're not properly self-quarantining themselves their family will obviously be at risk as well.

A second wave is coming, and when it does and the number of coronovirus incidents spikes the finger of blame will fall squarely on the protestors who made the conscieous ignore the pandemic rules. And that's something they unfortunately will have to deal with down the line. Though it's probably not something they're losing sleep over today or tommorow.

Steve king lost his primary.
    YESSSSSSS.

https://www.vox.com/2020/6/2/2127846...randy-feenstra

After losing his House Committee assignments over his defense of white supremacy last year, embattled Republican Rep. Steve King has officially lost his seat as well.
    Tuesday night, King lost the Republican primary to represent Iowa’s Fourth Congressional District in the next term, putting an end to his long and controversial nine-term tenure in the House. State Sen. Randy Feenstra ultimately dwarfed him in both fundraising and support from key players in the Republican Party, emerging as the primary winner in the expansive northwestern district.
    Someone send WBE some booze to celebrate this hopeful profile retirement.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 06-02-2020 at 08:34 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'm sure plenty of police can go home with a clear conscience too. Saying that ALL police are brutilizing peaceful protestors is just as wrong as saying ALL protestors are burning down buildings. A few bad apples on both sides are unfortunately escalating things to the point we are at now.

But as far as the protestors go... I think even the peaceful ones do have something they'll have have to carry on their conscience down the line. Again, I hate to beat this dead horse but we're in the middle of a pandemic now. The decision to NOT follow social distancing protocals will likely result in people dying. Many logically will be the protestors themselves as they're obviously the most ask risk... but if they're not properly self-quarantining themselves their family will obviously be at risk as well.

A second wave is coming, and when it does and the number of coronovirus incidents spikes the finger of blame will fall squarely on the protestors who made the conscieous ignore the pandemic rules. And that's something they unfortunately will have to deal with down the line. Though it's probably not something they're losing sleep over today or tommorow.
    I am not talking about the protests I am talking about life. Any officers that stood there watching the officer kill Floyd and did nothing are complicit. The police now protect a murderer. Many an officer has done the same even if not to such a great extent. That's what I am talking about here, when the protest do end the police are still covering for the bad ones. The protesters won't be covering for the looters.

As to corvid-19, honestly social distancing is not going to work in the long term as we are no where near a cure. Whether it happens now or in the fall that's coming regardless of what these protesters do.
    Last edited by Farealmer; 06-02-2020 at 08:33 PM.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Steve king lost his primary.
    YESSSSSSS.

https://www.vox.com/2020/6/2/2127846...randy-feenstra

Someone send WBE some booze to celebrate this hopeful profile retirement.
    Step One complete. Next step is to defeat the guy who beat him and flip the seat blue, Randy... who heard complained about King not doing enough to get Trump's wall. Oh boy...

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Step One complete. Next step is to defeat the guy who beat him and flip the seat blue, Randy... who heard complained about King not doing enough to get Trump's wall. Oh boy...
    Unlikely as it is, I will hope for the best. But let's take the moment and celebrate the loss of that odious piece of crap nazi.

I am not talking about the protests I am talking about life. Any officers that stood there watching the officer kill Floyd and did nothing are complicit. The police now protect a murderer. Many an officer has done the same even if not to such a great extent. That's what I am talking about here, when the protest do end the police are still covering for the bad ones. The protesters won't be covering for the looters.

As to corvid-19, honestly social distancing is not going to work in the long term as we are no where near a cure. Whether it happens now or in the fall that's coming regardless of what these protesters do.
    The fact that we don't have a cure is frankly why social distancing is important. Until we get a cure, prevention is our only defense. And you can argue social distancing was working for awhile. Most indicators were saying the curve was starting to flatted.

So yeah... agree to disagree about social distancing. But I guess we'll find out in a few weeks. Call it karma or natural selection or whatever, but it'll be the protestors themselves (along with their families) who will have to deal with the consequences, if there are any consequences to be had as clearly they will be the ones spreading it amongst themselves.

But the indirect consequence is what will effect everyone else. If the number of coronovirus subjects spikes, it likely will delay the economy re-opening in a lot of places. And that means plenty of people aren't returning to work. That's where it'll hit most of us.
    Last edited by XPac; 06-02-2020 at 08:46 PM.

BANNED

The fact that we don't have a cure is frankly why social distancing is important. Until we get a cure, prevention is our only defense. And you can argue social distancing was working for awhile. Most indicators were saying the curve was starting to flatted.

So yeah... agree to disagree about social distancing. But I guess we'll find out in a few weeks. Call it karma or natural selection or whatever, but it'll be the protestors themselves (along with their families) who will have to deal with the consequences, if there are any consequences to be had as clearly they will be the ones spreading it amongst themselves.

But the indirect consequence is what will effect everyone else. If the number of coronovirus subjects spikes, it likely will delay the economy re-opening in a lot of places. And that means plenty of people aren't returning to work. That's where it'll hit most of us.
    The same people who are arguing for the protests to be violent suppressed are the ones who spent trillions to bail out corporations and fought tooth and nail against any relief for working people, because they wanted to create an atmosphere of desperation that would force the economy open more quickly than was prudent. What they may not have predicted was that this only added to the pent up rage that people were feeling and cannot be bottled up again so easily.

Mighty Member

For awhile isn't enough. It was always just a way to take the pressure off the hospitals for a short term until they could ramp up places to put people. But as soon as the lock down ended the second wave was going to happen. The government can't keep writing checks for everyone every month. Also I don't know why you think someone getting sick for protesting unchecked police evil would be karma. Karma as it's usually defined would be the guy who murdered Floyd getting sick and dying.

For awhile isn't enough. It was always just a way to take the pressure off the hospitals for a short term until they could ramp up places to put people. But as soon as the lock down ended the second wave was going to happen. The government can't keep writing checks for everyone every month. Also I don't know why you think someone getting sick for protesting unchecked police evil would be karma. Karma as it's usually defined would be the guy who murdered Floyd getting sick and dying.
    I don't necessarily deny a second wave would happen. But crowds of hundreds of people are going to vastly increase the spread in a time when the curve was starting to flatted.

I agree the government can't keep writing checks every month. But as it stands we're getting the negatives of the lockdown without the positives. The economy is still closed down, but because of the protests there's no social distancing. So yeah... maybe we should just open up the economy so people at least can get paid and hope for the best. The protests sort of make social distancing moot at this point. Medical experts and government can make that call... all I know is the numbers are logically going to spike given whats going on.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    The same people who are arguing for the protests to be violent suppressed are the ones who spent trillions to bail out corporations and fought tooth and nail against any relief for working people, because they wanted to create an atmosphere of desperation that would force the economy open more quickly than was prudent. What they may not have predicted was that this only added to the pent up rage that people were feeling and cannot be bottled up again so easily.
    I guess that's the big question ... what is the prudent time for the economy to open? If people are ignoring social distancing anyways due to the protests, is there any value in keeping the economy shut down?

I'll say this... if this was all an elaborate plan to open up the economy it's sort of brilliant in it's own evil sort of way. It not only shuts down social distancing, arguably making lockdowns illogical, but creates an obvious scape goat when people need someone to blame.

Mighty Member

I don't necessarily deny a second wave would happen. But crowds of hundreds of people are going to vastly increase the spread in a time when the curve was starting to flatted.

I agree the government can't keep writing checks every month. But as it stands we're getting the negatives of the lockdown without the positives. The economy is still closed down, but because of the protests there's no social distancing. So yeah... maybe we should just open up the economy so people at least can get paid and hope for the best. The protests sort of make social distancing moot at this point. Medical experts and government can make that call... all I know is the numbers are logically going to spike given whats going on.
    I wonder if you would be as understanding if the people marching to get stuff opened had got their wish weeks ago?

Buzzfeed news with an accurate headline:

Iowa Voted A Racist Out Of Congress

I wonder if you would be as understanding if the people marching to get stuff opened had got their wish weeks ago?
    Honestly I don't think I'd be understanding in any context involving crowds of hundreds of people even if the economy opened up earlier. I think even business opening to SOME degree needed to follow some basic social distancing guidelines to help manage the spread. Obviously large protests in the hundreds throws all that out the window.

But in the least the blame would be lessened. You can fault the economy opeing up early and the protests together. It would be both those things instead of one thing. That in the least isn't as bad.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Voter fraud via mail in ballots is legitimately not a real thing. Last Week tonight went over this recently. Watch it.

We’ve been doing it here in Washington forever and it’s fine.
    I think the only thing that may have been a legitimate form of voter fraud is the stuffing the ballot where people would vote with Dead people's names.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I guess it got really bad in Naperville last night. Supposedly someone got stabbed.
    Ugh. Thankfully its settled down for now. But there are places that are in food deserts that I'm concerned about. There are people there that dont have as strobgba supply line as some more expensive communities.

Why is it always on the protesters to stop making noise instead of the cops to stop being outright evil?
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The protesters dont have to stop making noise. If anything they should make more noise. The looters and rioters need to stop making noise.
    Agreed on both points, and it's up to people who have a position of power in both political and the community to keep their voices up in higher offices, and also constitutes can call their reps and tell them to have congress work on Bill's to do police reform for both the forces and the unions state wide.