Page 344 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 2442943343403413423433443453463473483543944448441344 ... LastLast
Results 5,146 to 5,160 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    I wouldnt be surprised if there was a considerable portion of democrats with a fondness for having a quaint little armory at home and had no desire to ban guns (albeit on the condition of checks and screenings), but simply cant stand the NRA and think legal gun owners can do just fine without them
    There is no one size fits all Democrat. Some Democrats do hunt so yes, there are some who own hunting rifles. There are also some who feel the need for personal protection, or who just like going to a Shooting Range, so yeah some will have handguns. There will be very few who actually own more than that.

The most common mass collectors, especially of military style weapons, are either wealthy white men who see it as a status symbol, or those who are either thinking of using them against other people or are of a militaristic mind-set.

The demographics of gun ownership

Besides demographic differences, clear partisan divides emerge when it comes to gun ownership. Republicans and Republican-leaning independents are more than twice as likely as Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents to say they own a gun (44% vs. 20%). This partisan gap remains even after controlling for demographic differences.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    That's exactly the point though, eh? If you have spent your whole life surrounded by people like those on this forum who live relatively comfortable lives in wealthy countries and rarely have to confront the true scale of global inequality head on, of course you're going to struggle to understand why people would not view the West as some kind of benevolent shining city on a hill. It's really something you need to experience for yourself, not something you can get out of a book, though I'm sure that if you did make an effort to engage with these kinds of people you'll find that they're far less hostile and far more welcoming toward people like you than the other way around. But if you want some nice overviews on the subject of colonialism, Era of Darkness by Shashi Tharoor is a pretty good look at British colonialism in India, and if you want something more America-centric you can try 1491 and 1493 by Charles Mann. And if you really want to read a hard left polemic like you were probably thinking I would list, there's always Settlers by J. Sakai, though admittedly I have yet to read the whole thing myself.
    How would you know this if you don't experience it? I'm a first generation American. None of my parents, siblings, uncles, aunts or cousins that live in the US would want to live in Mexico again. Why do you think DACA recipients want to stay in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    I was talking about people on this forum, who speak glowingly of China and Communist countries, not people stuck in developing countries.

Pwrdon, I'm really curious about something, where are you getting your information from? Who and what are you reading that has helped shape your views on western colonialism. In short, who are the authors I should be reading if I wanted to understand your viewpoints? and what would be your recommended reading list?

Thankfully, when I came on here I thought I would be debating a bunch of avatar people like "Mister Mets" (who I appreciate his courage of continually providing an adversarial right wing vewpoint, as it's always healthy to debate and question your own political credo)

I never imagined though, that I'd be continually engaged in conversations with people who see the United States less favourably than a country like Venezuela.
    I'd still rather live in the US than anywhere else. In 2016, my g/f said that she'd want to move to Canada if Trump won, but four years later, we're still here. So yeah, America has a lot of things that we need to do better on, but if good people abandon America to live in Canada or Europe, we'll be leaving the place in the hands of the assholes even more than we already do.
    Watching television is not an activity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    How would you know this if you don't experience it? I'm a first generation American. None of my parents, siblings, uncles, aunts or cousins that live in the US would want to live in Mexico again. Why do you think DACA recipients want to stay in the US?
    My family is the same way, after all life in America is far more comfortable than back in the old country and who wants to be poor? But I would caution against falling into the trap that many immigrants have of starting to drink the Kool-Aid of thinking Western culture and values to simply be superior, because if that really were the case then other countries could simply adopt the American model and achieve similar levels of prosperity. But despite America "spreading freedom and democracy" all over the globe, there's scant evidence that this actually works. If the only way for people living in the global south to prosper is to be one of the lucky few that's allowed to emigrate to the US or Europe, then there is something seriously wrong with the way the world is set up.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I'd still rather live in the US than anywhere else. In 2016, my g/f said that she'd want to move to Canada if Trump won, but four years later, we're still here. So yeah, America has a lot of things that we need to do better on, but if good people abandon America to live in Canada or Europe, we'll be leaving the place in the hands of the assholes even more than we already do.
    Nothing wrong with that, I'm Canadian so I'm privy to Canada. There are things I like about the United States, particularly what I would consider right wing advantages, low taxes, lower prices on consumer goods, more access and self determination with your health care. Despite what Warren & Sanders are selling, private health care is much better than public health care if you can afford it, I wish I had that option available. You also have a strong dollar that makes travelling anywhere in the world cheaper, and property prices down there are relatively cheap thought that is changing on the coasts.

There are things that I don't like about the United States, particularly that you have the shortest amount of vacation time and the longest work hours of any western nation, outside of South Korea & maybe Japan. You don't have much in the way of a social saftey net, so poverty is much worse down there, health care can be expensive, and is sketchy in that it doesn't seem to cover people with pre existing conditions, drug prices are higher, and if your kicked off private insurance, health care looks grim.

The trade labour unions have been crushed in your country so labour has little power, and finally, although I agree with Trump that the United States is saddled with having to defend the Western World, (Other western nations get a free pass by putting more money into the welfare state than defense) you do spend way too much on your military. (Guns & butter leads to a lot of debt) Finally, and I think this is the one that is going to bite you in the long run with the changing nature of the economy, your quality of education isn't that great and post secondary education is very expensive in the States, it's very expensive up here to, but you guys are off the chart.

I hope I didn't sound too critical, I like your country and often make trips down to Seattle and Portland, but overall, I prefer my own. Ideally I would like the German model, but the grass always seems greener on the other side.

Intermediary

the mayor of Tuscon is on with Alicia Mendez right now, and she seems to understand how public safety is supposed to work

unlike the Governor

also, as weve seen large scale that working from home does work, commercial real estate is going to take a BEATING in the next few years when leases start running out

Spectacular Member Kuro no Shinigami's Avatar

Only two US states are reporting a decline in new coronavirus cases

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/28/h...day/index.html

Only two US states are reporting a decline in new coronavirus cases compared to last week: Connecticut and Rhode Island.

Both states are blue states with small populations.

California, the bluest and most populous state in the union, already is now the second worst coronavirus-hit state, second only to New York. California has over 200,000 total cases and
    over 4000 new cases. I guess either Gavin Newsom is not doing a good job with the pandemic response.

Or maybe the increase in coronavirus cases is due to the fact the Americans, in any state regardless of its conservative or liberal politics, are making this "wearing a mask" thing too political. Maybe they also don't respect authority even though they elect their officials.

Taiwan still has no new cases for several days. Anyone wonder why it is a bad idea to obey orders from a democratic government whose officials you elect.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

DeSantis is currently on TV discussing the situation in Florida. The most I'm getting from it is that it seems like he is trying to downplay how much he screwed up by blaming other things for the high numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    DeSantis is currently on TV discussing the situation in Florida. The most I'm getting from it is that it seems like he is trying to downplay how much he screwed up by blaming other things for the high numbers.
    He's already tried blaming New York, and Hispanic immigrants.

Quick, lay bets on his next scapegoat! I'm gonna say the Chinese!
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro no Shinigami View Post

Only two US states are reporting a decline in new coronavirus cases compared to last week: Connecticut and Rhode Island.

California, the bluest and most populous state in the union, already is now the second worst coronavirus-hit state, second only to New York. California has over 200,000 total cases and
    over 4000 new cases. I guess either Gavin Newsom is not doing a good job with the pandemic response.

Or maybe the increase in coronavirus cases is due to the fact the Americans, in any state regardless of its conservative or liberal politics, are making this "wearing a mask" thing too political. Maybe they also don't respect authority even though they elect their officials.

Taiwan still has no new cases for several days. Anyone wonder why it is a bad idea to obey orders from a democratic government whose officials you elect.
    California was the first hit, and have a ridiculous population density where they got hit... but 4,000 cases looks pretty good considering Florida had over 9,000 yesterday. They're gonna pass California with those kind of numbers, and DeSantis not doing anything to bring them down.

Arizona's numbers are also in the 5K range right now, but that's deceptive because Gov. Ducey has gone with Trump's "you can't have positive cases if you don't test" idea since March.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro no Shinigami View Post

NJ did decline significantly, but now we're flat. The curve has now now flattened, which is good.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    He's already tried blaming New York, and Hispanic immigrants.

Quick, lay bets on his next scapegoat! I'm gonna say the Chinese!
    That’s a sucker’s bet. With Trump using the “Kung Flu” insult at his Arizona egofest, look for DeSantis to dump on the Chinese.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    And there are still people out there who will vote for Trump because ..... :shrug:
    Because the modern Republican party has become masterful at creating and implanting biases in conservative-leaning Americans to motivate them to vote against their own best interests.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

So in a comical deal for weeks a friend I know has been claiming he's gonna vote for 3rd party. Discussing how Joe Biden and Donald Trump are the same , both parties are the same etc. Its became so silly that he listed all the people he's voted for ...and all of them was Republican up til 2016. Its like saying Big Macs and Whoppers are all the same but never having ate a Whopper ever and making the claim repeatedly.

At this stage its a head smack on silliness. Like not even caring whats going on in news or anything. Just to claim , "Biden and Trump are the same !" repeatedly.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    So in a comical deal for weeks a friend I know has been claiming he's gonna vote for 3rd party. Discussing how Joe Biden and Donald Trump are the same , both parties are the same etc. Its became so silly that he listed all the people he's voted for ...and all of them was Republican up til 2016. Its like saying Big Macs and Whoppers are all the same but never having ate a Whopper ever and making the claim repeatedly.

At this stage its a head smack on silliness. Like not even caring whats going on in news or anything. Just to claim , "Biden and Trump are the same !" repeatedly.
    They're not even in the same ballpark. Here's a thread that just highlights all of the issues with Trump and the military alone. If someone still tries to say they're the same, it's just them being forcefully ignorant or stubborn... much like a Trump supporter.