Page 166 of 374 FirstFirst ... 66116156162163164165166167168169170176216266 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,490 of 5602
  1. #2476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I consider myself to be fairly level-headed, but shit like this makes me nervous about what may happen in November.
    If he loses and there is any way the results could be contested, he may not step down.
    This used to be treated as a silly thing to say, but recently serious German news media like Der Spiegel have been treating the possibility seriously. They see many statements by Drumpf as preparation for not accepting the election results.

  2. #2477
    Mighty Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    1,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Apparently the Pittsburgh riots where started/escalated by a 20 year old radical vegan white man called Brian Bartels. Firearms found at his home.

    Can't make this shit up.
    I mean we all know vegans want to take out the meat eaters. his is their big chance.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  3. #2478

  4. #2479
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    21,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I consider myself to be fairly level-headed, but shit like this makes me nervous about what may happen in November.
    If he loses and there is any way the results could be contested, he may not step down.
    Therein lies the problem. We all know the only thing keeping Trump from a court date to answer for his crimes from the Mueller Report is presidential immunity from prosecution, so he'll be desperate to stay in office by any means necessary. If Trump loses by a hairline margin, he'll contest the results all the way up to the right leaning Supreme Court, if he gets blown out, he'll scream bloody murder that the election was rigged and the fix was in for Biden. However, an even more worrisome scenario would be what happens AFTER he comes up short come November, that being the two month gap between election day and inauguration day in January, can you imagine the damage a lame duck and vengeful Trump could cause going out the door when he has nothing left to lose? Any way you slice it, the country will be in for a rough ride for the rest of the year and beyond.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  5. #2480
    Mighty Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    1,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Therein lies the problem. We all know the only thing keeping Trump from a court date to answer for his crimes from the Mueller Report is presidential immunity from prosecution, so he'll be desperate to stay in office by any means necessary. If Trump loses by a hairline margin, he'll contest the results all the way up to the right leaning Supreme Court, if he gets blown out, he'll scream bloody murder that the election was rigged and the fix was in for Biden. However, an even more worrisome scenario would be what happens AFTER he comes up short come November, that being the two month gap between election day and inauguration day in January, can you imagine the damage a lame duck and vengeful Trump could cause going out the door when he has nothing left to lose? Any way you slice it, the country will be in for a rough ride for the rest of the year and beyond.
    It wouldnt be just Trump. THe MAGA crowd would go nuts if he lost. So much talk would be about rigged elections. I promise that if he loses in the time he has left he would demand an investigation into the election.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  6. #2481
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,622

    Default

    U.S. lawmaker readies bill aimed at ending police court protection: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...rce=reddit.com

  7. #2482
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,735

    Default

    A stupid moment brought to us by the GOP.

    Rep. Michael Waltz is on Fox News saying the federal government should go antifa's financing. Did I miss antifa becoming like a nonprofit or something?

    Also, ouch. He was doing so well. Like, really well! And then...

    Biden moments ago said we should train cops to shoot unarmed people “in the leg instead of the heart.”

  8. #2483
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    21,352

    Default

    Saw this on Facebook:

    "You know, I always wanted to know what it would be like to simultaneously experience the Spanish Flu, Great Depression, and 1968 mass protests while Andrew Johnson was president."
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  9. #2484
    Uncanny Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    30,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    In all fairness he's saying an unarmed person that's coming at them.

    But yeah... Biden just should not speak. Hopefully he picks his VP asap, so that person can start doing the talking for him.

  10. #2485
    Mighty Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    1,833

    Default

    National Security Advisor says Systematic racism with police is not a problem. Thank god for that. Could you imagine how bad things would be if there was racism?

    https://time.com/5845676/systemic-ra...rt-obrien-cnn/
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  11. #2486
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    National Security Advisor says Systematic racism with police is not a problem. Thank god for that. Could you imagine how bad things would be if there was racism?

    https://time.com/5845676/systemic-ra...rt-obrien-cnn/
    Racism can play into it, but it has been informed to me that the militarization of the police is one of the main problems, such as the police using tear gas, which was originally developed for the US Army around World War I. The fact that many police departments have gotten to the point that they seem free to use things like tanks, assault rifles, submachine guns, flashbang grenades, grenade launchers, and sniper rifles anytime they want, even by racially motivated police officers, seems like an alarming concern in the first place.

  12. #2487
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    21,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    A serious facepalm moment for Uncle Joe. Maybe he watched too many cops shows as a kid and figured the boys in blue could become instant sharpshooters with a little practice.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  13. #2488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I feel sorry for Mr Floyd's Family and Friends, but that's it. Its easy for you to say when you can do that from a distance. I have to move my wife down to Philly so she can finish her fellowship. Its horrible there. Every time I walk into a gas station or try to get a quick bit to eat, I get rushed being asked for money. If I refuse, many times they get hostile. I can only imagine how more 'friendly' they'll be now

    We used to put the Japanese in Camps. Today, the extreme majority of Americans won't blink twice if somebody from Japan moves next door. They worked hard, raised their kids right, didn't cause trouble, and believed in the American Dream. It wasn't easy but they did it.

    Inciting Violence and blaming others all the time isn't the way to do it.
    However, it's not comparable to the condition of African American descendants of slaves. Before World War 2, there was a very small population of Japanese Americans in the United States. Chinese, Native Americans and and blacks faced far worse for far longer than the Japanese here ever have. It took a World War for any serious, organized and government sanctioned xenophobia to be used against them and that was ended and almost immediately criticized by the authorities and the society as soon as the war was over.

    A better comparison would be to look at Germany. Imagine if, after the Holocaust, Germany had the death penalty and it turned out that German Jews were disproportionately being executed and put in prison for longer sentences today. Even after slavery, African Americans were lynched and murdered, imprisoned and segregated and forced to work in labor camps as convicts for another hundred years and today they are ticketed, arrested, imprisoned and executed far more often in proportion to other ethnic groups.
    Last edited by A Small Talent For War; 06-01-2020 at 12:05 PM.

  14. #2489
    Astonishing Member PwrdOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Racism can play into it, but it has been informed to me that the militarization of the police is one of the main problems, such as the police using tear gas, which was originally developed for the US Army around World War I. The fact that many police departments have gotten to the point that they seem free to use things like tanks, assault rifles, submachine guns, flashbang grenades, grenade launchers, and sniper rifles anytime they want, even by racially motivated police officers, seems like an alarming concern in the first place.
    The issues are fully entwined, because the police wouldn't dare to use that level of force if the suspects were primarily white. The dehumanization of black people and the us vs. them attitude that exists in way more police departments is one of the main reasons why they have become so heavily militarized over the years, there's a reason they didn't use force to disperse the lockdown protesters. For now, it does seem like the police response to these protests have been relatively restrained, but I'm guessing that's going to change very soon.

  15. #2490
    Mighty Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    1,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A Small Talent For War View Post
    However, it's not comparable to the condition of African American descendants of slaves. Before World War 2, there was a very small population of Japanese Americans in the United States. Chinese, Native Americans and and blacks faced far worse for far longer than the Japanese here ever have. It took a World War for any serious, organized and government sanctioned xenophobia to be used against them.

    A better comparison would be to look at Germany. Imagine if, after the Holocaust, Germany had the death penalty and it turned out that German Jews were disproportionately being executed and put in prison for longer sentences today. Even after slavery, African Americans were lynched and murdered, imprisoned and segregated and forced to work in labor camps as convicts for another hundred years and today they are ticketed, arrested, imprisoned and executed far more often in proportion to other ethnic groups.
    I thought that people saying blacks got higher prison sentences and were imprisoned more often was just a myth. I never really thought about it much even as I got older. Then I went to jail;. I saw all the black people in county jail and how they outnumbered the white inmates in some pods in a country that is 93 percent white. I saw the black inmates getting a higher sentence and being harassed by the guards more often. when I went to prison I was ina dorm with 163 other inmates. 119 of them were balck.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •