Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Also for the gun control people, doesn't matter how many restrictions/laws you put in, people will still find a way to get guns and shoot people. Sad to say, but it's true. Nothing is fullproof against that.
    We're averaging more than one mass shooting a day. No other country in the world has this problem. Stop with the inane justifications for the status quo. CTTT over here literally giving us the Onion's 'No Way To Prevent This Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens'.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 05-25-2022 at 12:28 AM.

I love how everyone is talking about gun violence but not about President Biden saying that the U.S. will intervene if China makes moves on Taiwan. Like, no one has opinions on that? Also for the gun control people, doesn't matter how many restrictions/laws you put in, people will still find a way to get guns and shoot people. Sad to say, but it's true. Nothing is fullproof against that.
    Opinion: It is practically a non-issue compared to gun violence in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    We're averaging more than one mass shooting a day. No other country in the world has this problem. Stop with the inane justifications for the status quo. CTTT over here literally giving us the Onion's 'No Way To Prevent This Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens'.
    The biggest problem is the supply of fire arms not the rules regarding them frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    The biggest problem is the supply of fire arms not the rules regarding them frankly.
    The sheer volume is one part of the problem but I would not say the rules are not at issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Sorry, no. Your argument is flimsy one. You really think the founding fathers would have said nothing as individuals gun down twenty or thirty people at a time while decked out in body armor with high capacity rapidly-repeating rifles? The reality is that the Second Amendment was designed for a frontier country with a large population of native americans yet to be butchered and displaced, the emdded fear of slave revolts, and antagonistic European powers. With no standing army, an armed populace was a necessity, but safe storage laws, gun registries, limits on the type of guns that could be owned, rules against guns in city limits and more all go back to the living memory of the founding fathers themselves. The interpretation of the Second Amendment today is an invention of the gun lobby, and now we live with the consequences of our cultural worship of the gun and the power we've given it.

All rights come with corresponding responsibilities. Now, our children are dying and people are unsafe in public to the benefit of the arms industry and we've continually been held hostage by a minority sold on a fantasy. We are awash with guns and the violence they bring, and we do nothing because 'freedom', never giving a thought to the freedom to live and breathe that was taken from the victims of violence, never giving a single thought to the idea of the freedom from grief that those families might have been spared of. We conjure excuses like 'only criminals will have guns, then!' to justify everyone else being armed, in a nation where gun violence is now the leading cause of death of children. We don't have to live like this. This isn't freedom. It isn't liberty.
    People are often surprised at gun restrictions that existed in the early days of the country - as in, right after the Constitution was ratified. No concealed carry, mandated sage storage of gunpowder, no open carry in cities, laws like this were all signed off on BY the founders. The 2nd amendment being sacrosanct is a relatively recent phenomenon, although I am sure the so called originalists on the Supreme Court will ignore that fact.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    People are often surprised at gun restrictions that existed in the early days of the country - as in, right after the Constitution was ratified. No concealed carry, mandated sage storage of gunpowder, no open carry in cities, laws like this were all signed off on BY the founders. The 2nd amendment being sacrosanct is a relatively recent phenomenon, although I am sure the so called originalists on the Supreme Court will ignore that fact.
    Of course it will. Alito already has this hypocrisy on full display. But for conservatives, displays of hypocrisy are often the point. They're a signal of strength, that they can get away with doing whatever it is they want on the flimsiest of justifications.

I love how everyone is talking about gun violence but not about President Biden saying that the U.S. will intervene if China makes moves on Taiwan. Like, no one has opinions on that? Also for the gun control people, doesn't matter how many restrictions/laws you put in, people will still find a way to get guns and shoot people. Sad to say, but it's true. Nothing is fullproof against that.
    They've been saying that for a long time, it's all just international posturing. The US and China have basically just been standing around flexing at eachother over Taiwan for years.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Republicans recommend militarizing the schools - armed guards, armed teachers. They hate public schools. They hate teachers. They want to install an authoritarian regime. Requiring teachers to be soldiers solves a lot of issues for them.

it didnt take long to go from this is a tragic event to "Muh Freedoms." They are going to take my guns. The Libs are just wanting talking points.

I want common sense gun control, I want the issue of Mental health addressed, I would like to see some action on the social front.
    This isnt about talking points or scare tactics. The GOP has fought any kind of thing even hinting at gun control, they have fought funding for mental health programs. They have been a road block for decades.

After ten people are gunned down in a grocery store because of their race, and 19 kids are killed for no reason I have had my fill of hearing about "Muh Freedoms"

Its funny how people are so worried about their freedom to own assault riffles, the freedom to keep guns out of the hands of mentally sick and dangerous people. But they dont give a damn about a child freedom to go to school with out being killed.

I guess that makes us super liberal, or reactionaries. But I would rather over react to protect the rights and saftey of people then the freedoms of some gun nut owning an assault riffle he most likely does not know how to use.

But we get to debate this issue again with the next mass shooting. it will only be 3 or 4 days.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

And despite what the Fox news jerks are saying people are not talking about a total ban on guns. Just common sense laws. Red Flag Laws. A ban on assault riffles, a ban on high capacity magazines, close the gun show loop hole, more in depth back round checks. keep guns out of the hands of dangerous and mentally ill,. Why are these bad things? Explain to me how these things violate someones freedoms?

Looking at it I guess the GOP is right. It wont stop 100 percent of gun crime in Merica so you know lets just do nothing and leave things as they are right?

Edit - Also the shooter here was also wearing body armor. Maybe we do something about that. That is the second mass shooting in a week the shooter had body armor that made it harder to take them down. So why is that so easy to get for none law enforcement?
    Last edited by babyblob; 05-25-2022 at 04:05 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The NRA has a big convention in Huston this week. Both Cruz and Abbot were scheduled to speak. Both men talked about what a tragic event yesterday was, and how it should not happen again and thoughts and prayers.

But I bet all of that is forgotten as they still show up to the convention and whip the crowd into a frenzy with the Libs are taking your guns speeches.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The NRA has a big convention in Huston this week. Both Cruz and Abbot were scheduled to speak. Both men talked about what a tragic event yesterday was, and how it should not happen again and thoughts and prayers.

But I bet all of that is forgotten as they still show up to the convention and whip the crowd into a frenzy with the Libs are taking your guns speeches.
    Want to bet that there won't be any guns allowed at the convention too?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Want to bet that there won't be any guns allowed at the convention too?
    That's a standard.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Republicans recommend militarizing the schools - armed guards, armed teachers. They hate public schools. They hate teachers. They want to install an authoritarian regime. Requiring teachers to be soldiers solves a lot of issues for them.
    Oh, sure, let’s put weapons in the hands of teachers who are underpaid, overworked and often stressed out and overwhelmed. I’m sure THAT would end well. Let’s not forget there was an armed security guard in that Buffalo supermarket just two Saturdays ago, and he ended up dead because the shooter was armored like Iron Man. Qpublicans are fervently pro-life when it comes to fetuses, but don’t give a damn about flesh and blood children who put themselves at risk each and every day they leave home for school.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Oh, sure, let’s put weapons in the hands of teachers who are underpaid, overworked and often stressed out and overwhelmed. I’m sure THAT would end well. Let’s not forget there was an armed security guard in that Buffalo supermarket just two Saturdays ago, and he ended up dead because the shooter was armored like Iron Man. Qpublicans are fervently pro-life when it comes to fetuses, but don’t give a damn about flesh and blood children who put themselves at risk each and every day they leave home for school.
    The old George Carlin quote has never failed to be wrong, " If you're preborn, you're fine; if you're preschool, you're fucked.”