Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Out of all the crap Trump did, that's what they decide to indict him on?

I mean, you literally have Trump on a recorded Phone Call asking Georgia for 12k votes but instead you go after him for paying an adult star to keep her mouth shut?
    I’m sure this was already mentioned, but Al Capone was sent to prison for income tax evasion, not all the murders, bootlegging and the rest of the gangster shit he had done. Besides, other indictments against Trump might be coming as well.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I’m sure this was already mentioned, but Al Capone was sent to prison for income tax evasion, not all the murders, bootlegging and the rest of the gangster shit he had done. Besides, other indictments against Trump might be coming as well.
    But wasn't Trump literally caught for Tax Fraud too?

This seems more a private matter than actual crime. (Not like Melania should care. Even Trump's brain-dead cult should know that she didn't marry a fat slob with multiple failed marriages due to his infidelity because she loved him)

This just feels desperate and will be ineffective. All they're doing is firing up Trump's Base.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 03-30-2023 at 03:49 PM.

Ultimate Member

I mean, you literally have Trump on a recorded Phone Call asking Georgia for 12k votes but instead you go after him for paying an adult star to keep her mouth shut?
    That's not a federal investigation, though.

Though it probably should be...

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    That's not a federal investigation, though.

Though it probably should be...
    How is that not a Federal Investigation? There's the proof of election fraud right there. What more do you need?

As for this current indictment, this reeks of desperation.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

This seems more a private matter than actual crime. (Not like Melania should care. Even Trump's brain-dead cult should know that she didn't marry a fat slob with multiple failed marriages due to his infidelity because she loved him)

This just feels desperate and will be ineffective. All they're doing is firing up Trump's Base.
    And exactly what are those knuckledraggers going to do? Fuck Trump’s base.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

It's not that everyone is working together.

Trump is a bad man who broke many laws in many jurisdictions. Bragg is the DA in Manhattan, so he's limited to Trump's wrongdoing in that borough. The Fulton County DA and the justice department are doing their own investigations, which may move at different paces.

The Capone point was made, and in that case he did violate tax law so that was a way to get him behind bars. With Trump, there are some questions about whether the statute of limitations ran out, or whether they'll be able to prove wrongdoing (the terms "novel legal theory" have been used a lot; those don't always have a great track record.

A factor against Trump is that it's possible that much of what he did is legal, but that he got sloppy with paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    All he needs is one is two cult members on the jury.
    This assumes the prosecution has a conventional and airtight case.

We'll know more about this soon enough.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Does the US mainstream media predominantly favour Republican policies?

(In UK I think newspapers predominantly favour Conservatives , main TV reasonably balanced between Labour and Conservatives, but years since I watched much mainstream tv, so that’s maybe out of date.)
    It depends on your perspective. The mainstream media is pretty left-wing if you use the typical Americans on the baseline, but it's not enough for some people on the left, who wish it would go further.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    I would not go to Russia even for a layover at this point. The 2 times I have set foot technically in Russia were a few hour layover flights a few years ago before they invaded Crimea. NOW though there's no way. When they can just snatch you up and use you in a pawn situation for Putin's political plays. Trade for other prisoners try to get concessions from the West to get you back.
    Honestly, it may be a good idea to avoid going near their airspace.
    https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/belar...ht-4978-arrest

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Elon Musk and other tech leaders call for pause in ‘out of control’ AI race

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/29/t...ers/index.html

Not sure what Musk thinks he'll get here considering that this is unstoppable. These AI models are, right now, the worst they will ever be.

Perhaps Musk regrets resigning from OpenAI's board back in 2018?
    Musk has been concerned about apocalyptic questions here.

And to be fair, he's not the only one. A weird detail in an article on the scientists working on AI is that their answer to the question “What probability do you put on human inability to control future advanced A.I. systems causing human extinction or similarly permanent and severe disempowerment of the human species?" is around ten percent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/27/o...-chatbots.html

To stop AI at this point would require fast action from multiple militaries and law enforcement agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    No way to prevent this says only country where this regularly happens.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mass-shoo...113818720.html
    What's the solution? A potential complication is that when people who don't like access to firearms hint that they want to confiscate firearms, it increases sales, which means there are more guns in the US.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

So far I am not seeing even the start of any protests from trumps base that he has been calling for because of this.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Wait for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    A factor against Trump is that it's possible that much of what he did is legal, but that he got sloppy with paperwork.
    Is it, though? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Trump being indicted for the exact same thing that Michael Cohen went to prison for? (I guess we don't yet know the exact charges, but it's for the same crime)

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Except for most people, most of the time, when yes they do try - that doesn't happen. Upper mobility has shrunk and stagnated for a long time now. The trend has for years been you put in more work for the same pay, often for fewer benefits, for years, and only wind up worse off because shit happens in life that soaks up your savings and you just can't save up more, and all trying does in those situations is usually give you more stress not success. This has happened to so many people this is why they quiet quit. They're not lazy. Let me repeat that again - THEY'RE NOT LAZY!!! They're just sick of the bullshit and fed up.
    These are difficult questions, which touch on every aspect of life and the economy, so it's a big deal. There are employers who will take advantage of workers they push too hard, and there are employees who want to get paid as much as possible to work as little as possible. Policywise we've got to figure out a delicate balance, with the additional complications of technological changes (which typically have net benefits, but have adverse effects on some people) and the need to adjust to shifting political realities (at the moment, we have a tight labor market, but that's not always the case.)

As you pointed out, upward mobility is limited, and people don't always have the information to figure out what jobs are the best for a career, especially when we don't know how tech is going to change stuff. Someone could spend ten years learning skills that make them indispensable to employers, or it could turn out that a free app covers all those bases.

Certain costs rise as we insist that people get paid more, since those costs are transferred to the customers. And we want people to have health insurance and retirement plans, and those all cost money, with pensions going to people who don't currently work. And as people live longer, and are in need of expensive medical care, someone's going to have to pay for it all. So the stressed out couple working for less benefits have to pay for their own child care, rent, health insurance, as well as the pensions of others.

There is a messiness when entry-level jobs are filled with people who have different needs. A salary that is enough for a young person with roommates will not cover a single mother with four kids, who may be less appealing as an employee because she's more likely to need days off.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    It (quiet quitting) is often a good option…it’s the one I used for last few years at work…but it does limit opportunities, it’s not a good strategy for the seriously ambitious.
    Quiet quitting mainly works for people whose passion is not related to their job.

And this is another conflict. There are some people who want a job with consistent hours that pays enough to make a decent living. There are others who work harder and/ or are willing to make their job be their life. Obviously employers often want people from the latter group.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Is it, though? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Trump being indicted for the exact same thing that Michael Cohen went to prison for? (I guess we don't yet know the exact charges, but it's for the same crime)
    Take a look at this headline, and see if you notice the issue...

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr...g-criminal-tax

Michael Cohen Pleads Guilty In Manhattan Federal Court To Eight Counts, Including Criminal Tax Evasion And Campaign Finance Violations
    Plea Follows Filing of Eight Count Criminal Information Alleging Concealment of More Than $4 Million in Unreported Income, $280,000 in Unlawful Campaign Contributions

https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2023/03...ional-politics

A recent episode of the news podcast On Point discussed this subject. Trump's offenses are more severe and the investigation is more legit than you may think.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    So far I am not seeing even the start of any protests from trumps base that he has been calling for because of this.
    They're busy crying and whining all over Twitter first.

Including that worm McCarthy trying to commit a crime saying he'll interfere and that scum DeSantis announcing he'll refuse to cooperate with extraditing the orange boil out of Florida.

Pretty clear what DeSantis' gameplan is here.