Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Why not? What do you think are the appropriate disqualifications? Not high enough IQ? Not enough ability in sports? Origin point not violent enough? Social class not high enough? Not enough influence in domestic politics? Didn't spend enough years going through diplomatic channels? Skin color too incorrect? Not neutered? Don't have employment or education figured out? Origin point not below a certain level of poverty? Or any other condition that doesn't put lives at risk sufficiently? Didn't score high enough in a US History test? Doesn't speak English?

When you are entering the country for the reason these people are entering, it's important to remember they are fleeing, not invading, and as a Christian (or even un-Christian, just with a sense of common decency) , civilized nation we should be welcoming them with open arms, open hearts, and a complete sense of justice.
    Come on dude! How can we just let anyone in? There is only so much America to go around! We need our space for golf courses Damn it!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

What I find funny is how people here in the USA a country that was founded by the murder and removal of the native population are so damn worried about a group of people from outside the country who in their mind are coming to take it all away from us.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    What I find funny is how people here in the USA a country that was founded by the murder and removal of the native population are so damn worried about a group of people from outside the country who in their mind are coming to take it all away from us.
    Let representatives of the Democratic party know how much you support open borders, and that you would like them to do as well.

Why not? What do you think are the appropriate disqualifications? Not high enough IQ? Not enough ability in sports? Origin point not violent enough? Social class not high enough? Not enough influence in domestic politics? Didn't spend enough years going through diplomatic channels? Skin color too incorrect? Not neutered? Don't have employment or education figured out? Origin point not below a certain level of poverty? Or any other condition that doesn't put lives at risk sufficiently? Didn't score high enough in a US History test? Doesn't speak English?

When you are entering the country for the reason these people are entering, it's important to remember they are fleeing, not invading, and as a Christian (or even un-Christian, just with a sense of common decency) , civilized nation we should be welcoming them with open arms, open hearts, and a complete sense of justice.
    On the why not, the main reason is that the number of decent people who would be willing to move to the country if there were no barriers to doing so is very high, and it would likely come with significant complications.

Currently, there are some standards for skills-based immigration. I support loosening those standards to allow more people who qualify to come in (an increase of roughly fifty percent, with potentially more if local jurisdictions or states are able to make arrangements.) I'd assume standards in place during the Obama administration aren't too crazy.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Currently, there are some standards for skills-based immigration. I support loosening those standards to allow more people who qualify to come in (an increase of roughly fifty percent, with potentially more if local jurisdictions or states are able to make arrangements.) I'd assume standards in place during the Obama administration aren't too crazy.
    What skills? Are you suggesting a certain level of education? Or experience in the workforce? How much is too little to offset the threat of death by remaining where they are?

Let representatives of the Democratic party know how much you support open borders, and that you would like them to do as well.
    I dont support open boarders. i just love the double standard. We came and killed and removed the people who were here first, them call ourselves the real Americans and ill be damned if anyone else can come and share this place with us.

What skills? Are you suggesting a certain level of education? Or experience in the workforce? How much is too little to offset the threat of death by remaining where they are?
    Many countries have a system of points-based immigration, so we could adopt something like that. It seems to be rather popular according to polls.

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2...d-immigration/

I would allow for an increase in the number of people gaining citizenship that way, rather than through sponsorship by family members (to be clear, I have no problem with keeping the family reunification numbers as it currently stands.)

If lives are in danger, one solution is to provide aide to nearby safe countries to take in many refugees, as there is a lower cost of living outside of the United States, and refugees who settle near their original homeland have a better chance of returning when things gets better.

I dont support open boarders. i just love the double standard. We came and killed and removed the people who were here first, them call ourselves the real Americans and ill be damned if anyone else can come and share this place with us.
    What limits do you believe to be necessary?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

If lives are in danger, one solution is to provide aide to nearby safe countries to take in many refugees, as there is a lower cost of living outside of the United States, and refugees who settle near their original homeland have a better chance of returning when things gets better.
    And if those other countries don't want the immigrants as badly as we don't? What should a country do to demonstrate common decency to the world? What message should we send to the world in the name of human kindness? What example should we set for the world when lives are threatened daily to violence and poverty? Or should we not aspire to be the example to the world?

What limits do you believe to be necessary?
    To be honest I have not given it a whole lot of thought. Illegal immigrants is not a hot button issue where I live (Unless Im listening to my aunt) I dont know enough about the current system to say what should or should not change. From what I hear there is a huge back log and it is insanly hard to get in the legal way and I dont agree with that. I feel just letting people go through the boarder unchecked is not a good idea for this or any country. To be honest I doubt even the head of the INS understands the laws and regulations at this point.

I hear people talk about how we dont have the room, the resources, only certain people should come in. I am not sure what the fix is.

So like most Americans who are uninformed on the issues I will make smartass comments and deflect
    Last edited by babyblob; 09-08-2021 at 05:00 PM.

BANNED

If you just cherry pick all of the high skilled immigrants, then even facing structural disadvantages like language barriers and such, they will tend to outcompete American-born workers and take all of the high paying jobs, leaving the "real" Americans stuck doing menial work and breeding resentment among all of the usual suspects. This is kind of already happening, just look at Silicon Valley or any top university and you'll find that immigrants are vastly overrepresented, even if they tend to be excluded from the best jobs. Plus that still leaves a gap in the labor force because somebody has to do all of the low paying, blue collar work as well, and hell will freeze over before any American-born workers stoop to picking berries at any wage.

To be honest I have not given it a whole lot of thought. Illegal immigrants is not a hot button issue where I live (Unless Im listening to my aunt) I dont know enough about the current system to say what should or should not change. From what I hear there is a huge back log and it is insanly hard to get in the legal way and I dont agree with that. I feel just letting people go through the boarder unchecked is not a good idea for this or any country. To be honest I doubt even the head of the INS understands the laws and regulations at this point.

I hear people talk about how we dont have the room, the resources, only certain people should come in. I am not sure what the fix is.

So like most Americans who are uninformed on the issues I will make smartass comments and deflect
    Fair enough.

And if those other countries don't want the immigrants as badly as we don't? What should a country do to demonstrate common decency to the world? What message should we send to the world in the name of human kindness? What example should we set for the world when lives are threatened daily to violence and poverty? Or should we not aspire to be the example to the world?
    In this case, other countries would receive foreign aid to offset the costs of having to take in refugees, so they're rewarded for doing the right thing. This wouldn't be a situation where other nations are left on their own and penalized for doing the kind thing in a way that is better for the original refugees (we'll be able to take care of more people with the same amount of money in places with lower costs of living, and they'll be more likely to successfully return to their homeland should it stop being a shitshow.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Fair enough.

In this case, other countries would receive foreign aid to offset the costs of having to take in refugees, so they're rewarded for doing the right thing. This wouldn't be a situation where other nations are left on their own and penalized for doing the kind thing in a way that is better for the original refugees (we'll be able to take care of more people with the same amount of money in places with lower costs of living, and they'll be more likely to successfully return to their homeland should it stop being a shitshow.)
    This isn't really something you can fix with foreign aid. Migrants from Central America fleeing gang violence likely aren't going to be any safer in Mexico, and no amount of money you throw at that problem will make it go away.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    This isn't really something you can fix with foreign aid. Migrants from Central America fleeing gang violence likely aren't going to be any safer in Mexico, and no amount of money you throw at that problem will make it go away.
    That would depend on exactly where you decide on throwing it.

For instance...

You throw it at the States finally taking a reasonable approach to drug policy(never mind rethinking treatment of whole host of issues...)?

I think that the percentage of the problem that would go away could be surprising.

America being America is the root cause of that violence/poverty.

If someone looks at it and actually sees a country that they think will be the one that is the example for others?

A second look might be in order.

Never mind that this is the way that our "Good Guys..." solve problems...

We all saw how that worked out.

Until America is actually ready to completely second guess everything that it's leaders believe that they "Know..."?

(Preferably before it does the damage that it will almost always do...)

The idea that we are working in the name of human kindness is just nonsensical.

Never mind all of the "Good Guys..." who voted to authorize military action in Iraq...

Again, the idea that we are any sort of an example to anyone is just on particularly unsound footing.