Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    aaaaand AG Barr may be headed out the door real soon. He interviewed with the Associated Press and said no substantial fraud that would change the outcome of the election has been found so far. I suspect Trump will Tweet him a pink slip any time now.
    I guess Barr, in these clearly final days, is trying to do just a small bit of damage control for the sake of his reputation. Like this filth washes off

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    aaaaand AG Barr may be headed out the door real soon. He interviewed with the Associated Press and said no substantial fraud that would change the outcome of the election has been found so far. I suspect Trump will Tweet him a pink slip any time now.
    Just heard a report about that on my local all news radio station. Yeah, Trump most definitely WON’T like that, seeing that Droopy Dogg was his right hand man, his consigliere. Over/under on when the ax falls on Barr, my guess is Friday.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Sure, which is why W's administration was not charged with war crimes like they should have been. But, this administration has been even worse, and has been so incredibly blatant about its corruption, that I think the question really does need to be considered, what don't we want a sitting president to feel certain he won't be prosecuted for, once out of office?

There should be a line, right? I mean -- this is already the office that by definition gets to decide to kill almost anyone, if they think it's justified. I mean, the military has an obligation to not follow an illegal order ... but, that unfortunately is not always a completely clear distinction.
    I have faith (or, at least, hope) that NY will take The Trumpsters down, and that still gives us the same net effect. On the other hand, once an incoming administration has prosecuted its predecessor, that could turn into an ongoing slinky walking down the stairs every time the WH changes party hands. If President is to be held accountable, it has to be Congress (like they should have done but didn't) or State criminal jurisdictions.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Just heard a report about that on my local all news radio station. Yeah, Trump most definitely WON’T like that, seeing that Droopy Dogg was his right hand man, his consigliere. Over/under on when the ax falls on Barr, my guess is Friday.
    Yeah, just saw that one. Wonder if Barr decided it's time to prepare his (completely dishonest) "...I disagreed with almost everything, but, you know, duty, and you should have seen the really crazy **** I talked him out of..." defense.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I have faith (or, at least, hope) that NY will take The Trumpsters down, and that still gives us the same net effect. On the other hand, once an incoming administration has prosecuted its predecessor, that could turn into an ongoing slinky walking down the stairs every time the WH changes party hands. If President is to be held accountable, it has to be Congress (like they should have done but didn't) or State criminal jurisdictions.
    Oh, yeah -- no, agreed, I didn't mean that the incoming administration should be able to prosecute the outgoing, I was more thinking Congress ... and yeah, given the Senate will likely remain Republican-blocked, Trump would still be protected in the coming years, like he was when he was when impeached. So yeah, considering from a practical standpoint, even someone as transparently corrupt as Trump would nine times out of ten get away with it.

But, given that we likely will see an even worse version of him before long -- the way his administration was worse than W's -- I do think some kind of thought should be given, as far as how to stop the abuse of power.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

We saw Bengazi investigated like , right after it happened and numerous ones done right as the Obama Presidency ended. We saw them open things to investigate if Obama's Administration did wrong with Russian investigation. There wasn't a 10 year wait on that. Why is there a 10 year wait on this bullshit ?
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    We saw Bengazi investigated like , right after it happened and numerous ones done right as the Obama Presidency ended. We saw them open things to investigate if Obama's Administration did wrong with Russian investigation. There wasn't a 10 year wait on that. Why is there a 10 year wait on this bullshit ?
    People in his orbit MAY get prosecuted but most likely won't.

Investigation does not equal prosecuted.

You have the Former President's Act protecting Trump as well as the DOJ statue of limitations baring the former POTUS and co getting charged for around 10 years.

A special counsel could be appointed again. But it will have to turn up some really bad stuff this time in order to have 45 go under.

I posted about a while ago. Legal Eagle had a good video on it not too long ago.

EDIT: Here's the post.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Legal Eagle on what happens if Trump refuses to leave:

The long and short of it is 45 can do 3 things:

- Fire political appointees
    - Blanket pardons, use the DOJ to have formal positions to formalize his illegal acts, and paper over them with memos to close them. The PRA of 1978 makes it legal for 45 to even destroy these records.
    - Biden's SS team will trump 45's team, and any all teams can be arrested and charged with felonies. There does not even have to be proof. So if he locks himself in a bathroom, it won't end well for him. And he will go to federal prison. But when the EC convenes and selects Biden, all this is moot.
    Blanket pardons, use the DOJ to have formal positions to formalize his illegal acts, and paper over them with memos to close them. The PRA of 1978 makes it legal for 45 to even destroy these records. That is the bigger one. The Presidential Records Act while save his bacon. He has also has other Constitutional provision to protect him

Here's the legal piece on why the fever dream of Trump won't happen unless Barr and his DOJ turns on him.
    https://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/...ext=fss_papers
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 12-01-2020 at 03:59 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Boisterously Confused

I don't think it needs to wait 10 years either. I just hope the mid-terms roll things so a Congress can give this a proper look.

Astonishing Member

Democrats have standards, they do it wrong they'll lose voters and the Republicans will gain more power again.

Congress isn't going to do anything about Trump their hands are too tied by conservatives and Republicans.

Astonishing Member

Per my NBC News colleagues: Trump may announce for 2024 on inauguration day. Either way, he won't attend the inauguration and does not plan to invite Biden to the White House or even call him.

Hmm, while Trump likely isn’t attending the inauguration I’m not sure he’s made up his mind up on whether he wants run again or not.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 12-01-2020 at 04:19 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Not so fast on the no prosecution front.

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/sta...09947042701316

BREAKING from CNN:
    “The Justice Department is investigating a potential crime related to funneling money to the White House in exchange for a presidential pardon, according to a court record unsealed on Tuesday by the chief judge of the DC District Court.”
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Did I hear somebody say "superhero films"?
    Even with comic book movies, you still need trained actors to play all of the roles, and you would never get any if the "personal responsibility" crowd had their way because drama school is expensive and the vast majority of graduates will never be able to make a living as actors, but if you didn't fund those programs there wouldn't really be a viable career path for anyone interested in doing that. Education is one of those things that simply cannot be served by the free market, because you're asking people to make investments with a high degree of uncertainty and payoffs that only come in the long run. Even if, as conservatives seem to want, we just culled all of the humanities programs and forced everyone to major in business, that still wouldn't guarantee that all of the graduates will be employable because there will be too much competition in the job market, unless you really think that the world could always use more investment bankers. And while we often mock things like gender studies as silly and pointless, I can't think of a single field where there's been a more seismic shift in our perception and understanding than with gender, and going back to the ideas we had of gender and sexuality 50 years ago is completely unfathomable, even for conservatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Per my NBC News colleagues: Trump may announce for 2024 on inauguration day. Either way, he won't attend the inauguration and does not plan to invite Biden to the White House or even call him.

Hmm, while Trump likely isn’t attending the inauguration I’m not sure he’s made up his mind up on whether he wants run again or not.
    Would Biden even want to go to the White House right now? It's still a cesspool of Corona Virus. Hell, I want him to wait two weeks after the inauguration before he moves in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Not so fast on the no prosecution front.

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/sta...09947042701316
    You beat me to it. So which Presidential Pardon, I wonder?

Justice Department investigating potential presidential pardon bribery scheme, court records reveal

The filings don't reveal a timeline of the alleged scheme, or any names of people potentially involved, except that communications between people including at least one lawyer were seized from an office that was raided sometime before the end of this summer.
    No one appears to have been publicly charged with a related crime to date.

At the end of this summer, a filter team, used to make sure prosecutors don't receive tainted evidence that should have been kept from them because it was privileged, had more than 50 digital devices including iPhones, iPads, laptops, thumb drives and computer drives after investigators raided the unidentified offices.

Prosecutors told the court they wanted permission to the filter team's holdings. The prosecutors believed the devices revealed emails that showed allegedly criminal activity, including a "secret lobbying scheme" and a bribery conspiracy that offered "a substantial political contribution in exchange for a presidential pardon or reprieve of sentence" for a convicted defendant whose name is redacted, according to the redacted documents.
    Last edited by Tami; 12-01-2020 at 04:24 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.