Ultimate Member

What would be nice is if cops understood explicitly that they were part of a larger whole, and thus didn't treat the escalation of violence as a job requirement.

Brooklyn Center Officer Kim Potter Resigns, Effective Immediately

BROOKLYN CENTER, Minn. (WCCO/AP) — As the pressure built Tuesday to fire the suburban Minneapolis police officer who killed a 20-year-old Black man during an altercation after a traffic stop, the officer Tuesday afternoon said she would resign from her position effective immediately.

Kim Potter’s resignation was announced by Law Enforcement Labor Services, a labor union.

“Due to the ongoing investigation being conducted, Law Enforcement Labor Services is unable to provide any additional information or statements,” the statement from LELS said.
    Brooklyn Center Mayor Mike Elliott called the shooting in his city “deeply tragic” and said Potter — a 26-year veteran with the force — should be fired. Elliott, the city’s first Black mayor, announced Monday night that the City Council had fired the city manager and voted to give the mayor’s office “command authority” over the police force.

“We’re going to do everything we can to ensure that justice is done and our communities are made whole,” Elliott said.

The city’s police chief has said he believes Potter mistakenly grabbed her gun when she was going for her Taser. The officer, who is white, can be heard on her body camera video shouting “Taser! Taser!”

Wright’s father, Aubrey Wright, told ABC’s “Good Morning America” on Tuesday that he rejects that explanation.

“I lost my son. He’s never coming back. I can’t accept that. A mistake? That doesn’t even sound right. This officer has been on the force for 26 years. I can’t accept that,” he said.
    Officer who shot #DaunteWright has resigned. Here’s Kim Potter’s letter to city staff
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Nevermind.....
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 04-13-2021 at 10:45 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

PHYSICIAN/PSYCHIATRIST WAKANDA FOREVER!'s Avatar
    Last edited by WAKANDA FOREVER!; 04-13-2021 at 01:44 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WAKANDA FOREVER! View Post
    She gives no fucks. Shocking.
    Not surprising. My uninformed guess is that Potter was coached by her lawyer to craft her resignation letter in such a way with no mention of Mr. Wright since that could be seen as perhaps an admission of guilt, and thus be used against her in an inevitable trial.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

There's really no reason that a taser should have to resemble a pistol, is there? Instead of a trigger, couldn't it have a button to push as the firing mechanism (like operating a remote control)? Then there would be no reason for confusion about which one you were holding.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    There's really no reason that a taser should have to resemble a pistol, is there? Instead of a trigger, couldn't it have a button to push as the firing mechanism (like operating a remote control)? Then there would be no reason for confusion about which one you were holding.
    I think they design it to resemble a gun because it is harder to drop a taser or have it taken from your hand if it has a pistol-style grip, and using a trigger is faster than fumbling with a button.

Though I agree, there needs to be some serious discussions about avoiding this kind of thing in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I think they design it to resemble a gun because it is harder to drop a taser or have it taken from your hand if it has a pistol-style grip, and using a trigger is faster than fumbling with a button.

Though I agree, there needs to be some serious discussions about avoiding this kind of thing in the future.
    They need to carry their tasers on their dominant side. It's instinct to reach their first; help mitigate some of the risk by carrying the taser there, and the pistol on their weaker side.

Mighty Member

Sooo.....what is all this I am hearing about TNC/Ta-Nehisi Coates doing something in Captn America comics regarding Red Skull and Jordan Peterson that has enraged folks online?

Even Ben Shapiro reacted to it.

Just type red skull in YouTube search.

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Sooo.....what is all this I am hearing about TNC/Ta-Nehisi Coates doing something in Captn America comics regarding Red Skull and Jordan Peterson that has enraged folks online?

Or don't...

Shapiro honestly isn't worth the time.

It shows Jordan Peterson doesn't understand the Streisand Effect.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

In America, Republican-led states are rolling back electoral and civil liberties

MITCH MCCONNELL, the senior senator from Kentucky, had a clear message for the company bosses opposed to a Republican law in Georgia that places new restrictions on voting: “Stay out of politics”. Critics might argue that the Republican Party is sending the same message to some voters. Since their party’s losses in the 2020 election last November, Republican state lawmakers across the United States have introduced hundreds of bills limiting voting access. Georgia’s bill, which was signed into law on March 25th, reduces the number of ballot dropboxes for absentee voters and gives the Republican-dominated state legislature more power over county election officials.

A new study by Jake Grumbach, a political scientist at the University of Washington, suggests that these restrictive voting laws follow a pattern in a much broader trend. Mr Grumbach developed a State Democracy Index for measuring the health of democratic institutions across all 50 states between 2000 and 2018. The index scores states based on 61 indicators of voting rights and civil liberties, such as whether citizens are allowed to vote by absentee ballot, whether felons have the right to vote after they have served their time, whether incarcerated residents are eligible for release early and whether legislative maps are gerrymandered by one party. Each indicator is fed into a statistical model that derives an overall score for electoral liberties in each state for each year.
    In sum, if you want voting rights and civil rights, don't be in a state run by Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    The thing is that she would've had to draw her weapon and flip off the safety before firing. How does that happen without her figuring out she's not holding a taser?

Edit: After looking into the story further it seems that her weapon does not have a safety. A fact that begs the question: Why the f**k not?

No, thanks.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 04-13-2021 at 07:18 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    In America, Republican-led states are rolling back electoral and civil liberties

In sum, if you want voting rights and civil rights, don't be in a state run by Republicans.
    Pretty much. Qpublicans are out to curtail, if not wreck democracy, just to regain the power they lost after the election by any means necessary.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

https://twitter.com/i/events/1382099439758680068

Read this thread and be angry.

For years, the Boston police kept a secret: the patrolmen's union president was an alleged child molester.

Patrick Rose kept his badge and ascended to power in the police union.

He went on to allegedly molest five other children.