Astonishing Member

Kyle Rittenhouse is found not guilty of all charges…
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I believe the key is intent. Rittenhouse chose to travel across state lines with a weapon with the intent of putting himself in harms way in order to protect property which wasn’t his not at the behest of the property owner. The fact he armed himself ahead of time with a weapon designed for killing tells us he intended to defend himself with deadly force if necessary. He went out of his way to create the circumstances which led to the shooting so can’t claim self-defense.
    You can’t intentionally drive the wrong way down a one-way street and blame the other driver when you kill them in a head-on collision.
    This right here.

I could excuse him if that was his property or the owner asked him personally to help protect.

If you have to have to have a gun-you might need to stay HOME and show up afterwards to help clean up.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Just beat me to that. Can’t say I’m surprised. Now, let’s see if he’s subjected to civil suits from the families of the victims.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Rumor is, Trump himself will want the job, that he won't do properly, just to try and impeach Biden everyday and reinsert himself into the White House.

Exactly. It's party policy for the GQP now to enact change more through stochastic terrorism than actual policy, and there are loons ready to take up torches and pitchforks towards whoever they point at.
    I’ve been imagining an America after Trump is re-elected where Republican controlled states decide the 2nd amendment of the constitution gives them the right to set up state-sanctioned citizen militias. These would be deployed to help police quell the inevitable protests when a brazen autocrat has full run of the country again after confirming he can get away with literally instigating the attempted murder of his political opposition.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

That's really messed up.

There is still the possibility of Federal charges being brought, considering he crossed state lines.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    That's really messed up.

There is still the possibility of Federal charges being brought, considering he crossed state lines.
    I don't see Garland doing that. He is afraid of anything that can look political in the least way.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The message to conservatives with guns is that it’s now legal to go to protests and shoot anyone you can goad into threatening you.
    Well done Wisconsin.

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    And this thread is supposed to be an affirmation echo chamber? I come here to post and respond so that Comic Readers don't think that only one political stripe of readership is out there.
    I called Buttigege milquetoast and was super over the moon about Harris getting the VP nod.

I was burned hard in this thread for those opinions.

It's not an echo chamber here, you just have to be prepared to defend your ideas and have a thick skin. If you cannot defend your opinions, this thread is not the best place to just drop stuff and hope it goes unchecked. People will call you on your BS.

And there are other conservative and moderate posters here ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

I believe the key is intent. Rittenhouse chose to travel across state lines with a weapon with the intent of putting himself in harms way in order to protect property which wasn’t his not at the behest of the property owner. The fact he armed himself ahead of time with a weapon designed for killing tells us he intended to defend himself with deadly force if necessary. He went out of his way to create the circumstances which led to the shooting so can’t claim self-defense.
    You can’t intentionally drive the wrong way down a one-way street and blame the other driver when you kill them in a head-on collision.
    All of that would matter if you could somehow establish that those people when attacking him had a reason to believe he was a deadly threat. At some point, you do have to look at the situation and decide “okay when this kid was clearly walking in the other direction and was chased, does he now concede the right to defend himself because you question why he came to the area at all”?

The driving comparison isn’t great because we are establishing a clear cut violation in the moment. A better example would be if someone drove down a specific road and got a ton of speeding tickets and made it clear that they don’t respect the rules of the road, but then one time they get in an accident that kills someone… however this time they were obeying all the traffic laws. You can’t convict for that incident even though you can presume he was a skip and a hop away from breaking a traffic law.

In this case, he was going in the other direction and was on the ground. Saying he should be charged because of the circumstances that brought him to that city, is also saying that if his attackers killed him, they would be justified

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    All of that would matter if you could somehow establish that those people when attacking him had a reason to believe he was a deadly threat. At some point, you do have to look at the situation and decide “okay when this kid was clearly walking in the other direction and was chased, does he now concede the right to defend himself because you question why he came to the area at all”?

The driving comparison isn’t great because we are establishing a clear cut violation in the moment. A better example would be if someone drove down a specific road and got a ton of speeding tickets and made it clear that they don’t respect the rules of the road, but then one time they get in an accident that kills someone… however this time they were obeying all the traffic laws. You can’t convict for that incident even though you can presume he was a skip and a hop away from breaking a traffic law.

In this case, he was going in the other direction and was on the ground. Saying he should be charged because of the circumstances that brought him to that city, is also saying that if his attackers killed him, they would be justified
    I’d argue his presence there with a gun was grounds enough for people to feel threatened. Again, he showed up expecting a fight and prepared to kill anyone who gave him one. Whether he was running away at the time his expectations were fulfilled is a moot point. It wouldn’t be difficult to determine he hoped for a fight so he could get the chance to shoot someone since he drove out of his way to be in a dangerous situation.
    As far as the driving analogies goes, the initial violation was him being 17 and traveling across state lines with a fire-arm. In effect, intentionally turning down a one-way street and fully understanding he could collide with someone and in fact, prepared to kill them. Actually, the assault rifle could be seen as a Mack truck in this scenario. He was driving a Mack truck fully prepared to kill people.
    It doesn’t matter anyway. He got away with it.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 11-19-2021 at 12:10 PM.

I think Norm MacDonald said it best:

Extraordinary Member

I’d argue his presence there with a gun was grounds enough for people to feel threatened. Again, he showed up expecting a fight and prepared to kill anyone who gave him one. Whether he was running away at the time his expectations were fulfilled is a moot point. It wouldn’t be difficult to determine he hoped for a fight so he could get the chance to shoot someone.
    As far as the driving analogies goes, the initial violation was him being 17 and traveling across state lines with a fire-arm. In effect, intentionally turning down a one-way street and fully understanding he could collide with someone. Actually, the assault rifle could be seen as a Mack truck in this scenario.
    Okay, even if I concede all that. Why does he have to let someone hurt and potentially murder him if he was walking away when they attacked him? They didn’t have to chase him and attack him. If his goal was goading someone into giving him a reason to use the gun, he did a hell of a job.

Also they were also armed. At least one of them lived twice as far away. Were they looking for a fight?
    Last edited by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE; 11-19-2021 at 12:15 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I think Norm MacDonald said it best:
    Yeah, pretty much.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Fox News is pretty much crowing and beating their chest. How can some people be upset at this verdict? This was the only right way for the trial to end etc... The facts rose above the liberal media hype and despite him having a trial that was not always fair the jury came back not guilty and thank goodness for that. The Show is John Roberts and Sandra Smith.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

This trial was just crazy. The prosecutors didnt do a very good job and made some mistakes, Their own witness admitted to pointing a gun at Rittenhouse. And the defenes was high powered and expensive. 2 Mock Juries, 2 Jury consultants. A hard case for the DA to start with made worse for them by other factors.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.