Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    How can anything get done when one party is denying what the other party wants to pass?
    Again, this is fairly simple.

A national "Right To Work..." law?

Ain't gonna happen this year.

Do you see that stopping them?

If you already have your excuses ready before you ever get started?

I've got to wonder just how serious you are about getting things done.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

Am I reading that right? In some states, a union can force you to join them?

Oh, man.

Let's say that a union can compel some things from an employee taking a job where there is a union.

Is there some sort of an issue there?

Ultimate Member

If you want the benefits they wrangled out of management, I'm not seeing the issue

Fairly simple...

Let's say we have this guy who is Vice President. While he was, he and the President promised to deliver on Card Check.

Actually fighting hard enough?

A good starting point would involve getting back to work on Card Check without folks having to point out that it is something that you never delivered on once such a guy wound up being elected President.

Never mind if this guy has Congress when he winds up being elected President.
    Thank you for not defining what I mentioned while working in an issue that's not related to my original comment.

Please get back to me when you have a relevant answer.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    If you want the benefits they wrangled out of management, I'm not seeing the issue
    Right. Otherwise they have a free rider problem. Why would you pay union dues, which keep the lights on for the Union, if you can count on others to do it for you and still get the same result?
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I think the Biden Administration just playing re-runs of failed legislation that would require a filibuster reform (not currently supported by Manchin and Sinema) and all of their members (Manchin and Tester being key) is a good way to stack up “The Democrats keep failing” headlines. When you are in the minority, you can try to pass largely symbolic bills. It is not expected for you to succeed, so you get credit for trying. Majority and minority party positions are different. Just ask Republicans on the ACA. (Republicans passed an ACA repeal dozens of times while Obama was president. Once they failed in the majority, they didn’t bring it up for the rest of the legislative session.)
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    I think the Biden Administration just playing re-runs of failed legislation that would require a filibuster reform (not currently supported by Manchin and Sinema) and all of their members (Manchin and Tester being key) is a good way to stack up “The Democrats keep failing” headlines. When you are in the minority, you can try to pass largely symbolic bills. It is not expected for you to succeed, so you get credit for trying. Majority and minority party positions are different. Just ask Republicans on the ACA. (Republicans passed an ACA repeal dozens of times while Obama was president. Once they failed in the majority, they didn’t bring it up for the rest of the legislative session.)
    Versus what?

Choosing to ignore an issue that you have already been called on during the primary season?

It gets to a point where you are going to be asking supporters to see the difference between six and a half a dozen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    And for whatever reason, there are still some Democrats who don't want to do away with the filibuster despite it having been used against them almost exclusively for the past 20 years or so.
    Well there we are. Who is there to conjure the ghost of Lyndon B. Johnson and give Manchin and Sinema "the Treatment", or you know get Dem. corporate backers to have cryptic conversations that prophesy the likelihood of a major unexpected windfall for WV and AZ with their names attached to it in the future, if they change their mind on the fili?

Chuck Schumer is a talented NYS operator and Press-Op showboat but he's not Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Jack, I get ya. I even agree with you.
    Thanks. Look I am being critical of the Dems but I am not being disillusioned or saying that "Biden's no worse than Trump" or any such thing, but at the same time it's important to point out when they seem to stumble.

But until we rip Dark Money wide open to the clear light of day, genuine servants of the greater good are going to be fighting with one hand handcuffed to their opposite ankle.
    You could make "Dark Money" fight for good, at least in theory. Just bribe Manchin and Sinema to support removing the filibuster and I dunno name the Biosphere after Manchin or found a religion or church in his name, or order a drone strike in their name in the Middle East or something.

I'd like better public servants than that, it ain't what we got. We got politicians, not kamikaze pilots. They're not going to die for the better world they know we all need.
    My feeling is that with fascism and its wind in the sails...we have anti-voting rights legislation in 43 states, Trump and his backers and appointees are radiating with impunity, and we have a major climate crisis and the likelihood of another pandemic after the current one isn't fully abated...when so much is at stake and the public gave you a big mandate, voting in large numbers in the runoffs specifically to give the Senate Majority to Biden, and you try and go back to the halcyon Obama years...I do think some mild disapproval and "not impressed" sentiment is valid.

If we have a democratic system and the actually important and vital issues can't be meaningfully be addressed with that system, then it's dubious if this system can maintain itself as such for very long.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    Republican congressmen get **** on by their own base pretty much consistently regardless of what legislation they do or don't pass, and as a result they have to constantly move further and further to the right to avoid getting slapped with the dreaded RINO label. The fact that their ideology is garbage shouldn't prevent the left from learning a thing or two from them about pressure tactics.

Well...

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...ki-2022-474028

Trump vows to campaign against 'disloyal' Murkowski

You aren't 'forced' to join the Union unless it's a Union shop where membership is a requirement of employment and you'll know that going in.

However, you *are* required to pay Union dues if there is a Union and it's got a contract because Unions are legally required to represent you even if you're not a member directly and you gain all the benefits of Union protection regardless, and those dues are anywhere between 15-70 a month. Given that the difference in wages between Union and non-Union take home pay is substantial (with unionized work places making more money on average by something like $6.00 an hour), the price you pay for membership is typically pretty small and worth it.

Right-to-work is just a Union defunnding measure as part of the right-wing's long-standing gameplan of defunding the 'left'.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 03-06-2021 at 08:19 PM.

LOL.

Apparently, the GOP went off to sleep and Schumer took advantage to get cloture on Merrick Garland and moved on the final vote next week. AG Garland here we come.

https://www.balloon-juice.com/2021/0...-a-final-vote/

Last week, Senator Cotton provided a long and detailed explanation as to why he was holding up Merrick Garland’s nomination to be Attorney General. Despite the long winded justification, the reality is that he was doing it because 1) he could and 2) he’s an *******.

Senate Majority Leader Schumer didn’t say anything about Senator Cotton’s obstructionism. Instead he waited for his opening, moved to occupy the space once he had an opening, and completely destroyed Senator Cotton’s bad faith efforts.

Wake up this morning to hear on UK radio that Harry and Meghan interview on Oprah show will attract biggest US interview audience since Oprah interviewed Michael Jackson.

Amazed that anybody is interested.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

If the voters remember how they were nickel and dimed?

What are the odds that avoid winding up in the minority?
    Your concern is noted.

The vast majority of Americans is not paying attention to the process, though. They are paying attention to getting help and may be aware of which party was in power at the time and who was eliminated on the Bachelor that week.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!