BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    My intention wasn't to say that we shouldn't ever criticize the country, my intention was that there was a time a place for doing so. Having the WH Spokesperson give a list of issues that need to be addressed and including in it something from the past that might not need to be addressed in the present but that could only serve the purpose of creating controversy and create more problems isn't a smart move.

There is already a lot of upheaval going on in the US, I don't want to see Biden sounding like Trump over something like this. As much as honesty and transparency are also needed, words needs to be chosen carefully and appropriately to the time and the situation.
    But it does need to be addressed. And I can't think of a better time and situation than when listing off factors that drive immigration north. We have a responsibility to own up to our misdeeds, past and present, and at the least should mention that if the Administration is listing off reasons why people are coming here. It's not the largest reason, but it is one of the causes of many of those reasons or at the least a contributing factor. If anything ignoring inconvenient facts and sticking only to things that put us in a good light is the Trump way of doing things. If hard truths are controversial or problematic it's probably because we've been lying about or burying them for far too long. I don't expect that sort of truth-telling from an Administration that says they'll wait to punish the Saudi Prince for the butchering of a journalist here "in their own way and time", but just because we don't expect that sort of honesty or courage doesn't mean we shouldn't demand it.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    It sounds like the contract Trump Admin signed for Vaccines versus the one Biden Admin signed, and we have seen which one got the vaccines and vaccines out faster. It's not always the timing, sometimes it's the negotiation and paying for what you need instead of simply getting what you pay for.
    In Europe it was that the UK (like the US) went for an emergency approval, while the EU worried that people would not take the vaccine that had not been properly checked, so they took their time. During that time, AstraZeneca did not produce enough vaccine to fulfill it's obligation from the EU contract, while already having delivered plenty of vaccine produced on the continent to the UK with their later contract.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Huge if true, as the kids say.

It's not true, though. India, for example, is one of the countries producing AstraZeneca itself, and there are contingents for every country in the world (with the possible exception of countries claiming they have no covid, like North Korea.)

You can google COVAX.
    COVAX relies primarily on Indian production to supply most of its doses, which they had to do under license because the rich countries blocked a proposal at the WTO to waive IP protection for vaccines, and is now likely to be halted entirely because India just banned the export of vaccines in light of this latest EU/UK spat. Meanwhile the murderous authoritarian regimes of Russia and China have supplied 800 million doses of their vaccines to poor countries, something that has routinely been derided in the press as a cynical play at global influence, which the noble and enlightened West would never attempt, naturally. I suppose that the true galaxy brain take is that the US and Europe need those vaccines more than anyone else because they are suffering the worst from the virus given their governments' botched response to the outbreak.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    COVAX relies primarily on Indian production to supply most of its doses, which they had to do under license because the rich countries blocked a proposal at the WTO to waive IP protection for vaccines, and is now likely to be halted entirely because India just banned the export of vaccines in light of this latest EU/UK spat. Meanwhile the murderous authoritarian regimes of Russia and China have supplied 800 million doses of their vaccines to poor countries, something that has routinely been derided in the press as a cynical play at global influence, which the noble and enlightened West would never attempt, naturally. I suppose that the true galaxy brain take is that the US and Europe need those vaccines more than anyone else because they are suffering the worst from the virus given their governments' botched response to the outbreak.
    As I posted earlier, the EU has also exported much of the available vaccine to poorer countries. It seems to be just the UK and US who only cares about their own citizens among the affluent nations.

One thing to remember is that, thankfully, many poorer countries did not get hit as hard by the pandemic because there is much less travel to and from those countries.

BANNED

As I posted earlier, the EU has also exported much of the available vaccine to poorer countries. It seems to be just the UK and US who only cares about their own citizens among the affluent nations.

One thing to remember is that, thankfully, many poorer countries did not get hit as hard by the pandemic because there is much less travel to and from those countries.

I suppose poorer is a relative term.

while the EU worried that people would not take the vaccine that had not been properly checked, so they took their time
    And it is a valid concern. People here are extremely mistrustful when it comes to the whole pharmaceutical industry. I mean, there are very few more loathed sectors than this one here. (armament sector maybe and of course insurance companies)

To the point that lot people just plain refuse to get themselves vaccinated cause the vaccine was made so quickly and are worried about all the possible bad consequences of it.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    I mean, they're still murderous authoritarian governments They're just murderous authoritarian governments who also remember what soft power is.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

President Biden nominated Gayle Conelly Manchin to co-chair the Appalachian Regional Commission.

Manchin... Manchin... Where have I heard that name before?

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    President Biden nominated Gayle Conelly Manchin to co-chair the Appalachian Regional Commission.

Manchin... Manchin... Where have I heard that name before?

Yep, that Manchin

Gayle Conelly Manchin

Wow, Biden is doing to Manchin what Trump did to McConnell.

In 2016, Manchin was the subject of some controversy when USA Today, a national newspaper, published an article noting that Manchin, upon becoming Board of Education president in 2012, spearheaded a campaign for states to require schools to purchase EpiPens and other medical supplies.[8] Eleven states created laws to require schools to stock EpiPens, made by Mylan pharmaceuticals, leading to a "near monopoly" of Mylan's epinephrine autoinjector in the school health sector.[8] The article noted the potential for a conflict of interest, as Mylan's CEO, Heather Bresch, is Manchin's daughter.
    Still, she does have experience, seems sincere, and knows the area very well. As long as there is no conflict fo interest I don't see any problem with it.
    Last edited by Tami; 03-26-2021 at 09:25 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

What’s the general view on how Joe Biden’s press conference went?

( I ask because according to Daily *******ph it was pretty dire. But then the DT is maybe not completely reliable when reporting on vaguely left politicians.)

(Baffled...can’t understand why name of one of UKs national papers should be automatically redacted on this site. But maybe an act of great wisdom.)
    Last edited by JackDaw; 03-26-2021 at 09:56 AM.

It's a obvious political favor. But it's a commission, with no real power. Chao was Sec of Transportation and gave deals to her families company.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

( I ask because according to Daily *******ph it was pretty dire. But then the DT is maybe not completely reliable when reporting on vaguely left politicians.)
    He answered all the questions well, I thought. He did his homework.

I was more disappointed with the press not asking a single question about Covid.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

Didn't see it, but most of the comments are very, very positive.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Didn't see it, but most of the comments are very, very positive.
    Ah, cheers. I did have suspicion dear old DT might be showing a wee bit of bias. (I read electronic version most days because it’s very cheap, and I like the sports coverage.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It's a obvious political favor. But it's a commission, with no real power. Chao was Sec of Transportation and gave deals to her families company.
    Was thinking that myself.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.