Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Best news I've heard all week. However, I read something that Facebook will re-evaluate Trump's ban six months from now. Can't imagine why, he'll still be ranting and raving come September about how the election was "stolen" from him. Trump will never change, so why bother going through the motion of re-evaluating his fitness to return to Facebook, because he'll NEVER be fit for that.
    Yeah, maybe they are leaving it open in the unlikely event that Trump changes in any way or exhibits even the slightest amount of contrition for the damage that his words have caused. Being that Trump is unabashedly incapable of remorse, we know that this will never happen.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    Yeah, maybe they are leaving it open in the unlikely event that Trump changes in any way or exhibits even the slightest amount of contrition for the damage that his words have caused. Being that Trump is unabashedly incapable of remorse, we know that this will never happen.
    Facebook will let him back if and when he starts costing them money.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    Exactly that. If Trump were to be reinstated, he'd go right back to posting his mindless rhetoric about the election within hours, if not minutes after getting his get out of jail free card. Trump will NEVER admit he lost, NEVER acknowledge Biden as president, NEVER show even the slight amount of remorse about how his actions led to the riot. Give that bastard any sort of social media platform, and he'll stir up the crazies all over again, just like he did back in early January. Facebook needs to stop kicking the can down the road and make Trump's suspension permanent.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 05-05-2021 at 10:58 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Except for the ones like that guy who just had to step down as a state senator (Roeber? Robber?) because he beat his wife, raped his children and drowned a litter of puppies. Literally. If that does not count as monster, what does?
    I was referring to people who don’t wear face masks in public.
    The person you’re referring to obviously lacks more than empathy.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The Wonkette piece suggests the mistake was in not counting slaves as full people.
    Even if the slaves were counted as full people, it would have only been so for the purpose of deciding how many Congressional representatives and how many Electoral votes each slave state received. It would not have given any kind of rights to the slaves. The South wanted it both ways. They wanted to count the slaves as people when it came to their political power, but not when it came to actually treating the slaves as free human beings.
    Watching television is not an activity.

BANNED

Figured I'd track down and link the article in question (Wonkette and 3/5 Compromise). As I thought, most certainly not defending the slaveholders position but don't take my word for it. Also, didn't have any pop-ups so guess they got that bit figured out. Good on them.

https://www.wonkette.com/sweet-chris...ths-compromise

Have any of you read the WPA Slave Narratives?

Those have often been cited as reasons for NOT passing the Civil Rights Act and lot of current Rs are starting to cite them again as "proof" the slaves enjoyed being owned.

A lot of the people interviewed, 70 years later, lived in the house as children. So they had very rose-tinted views of slavery.

It was a bit of fool's errand to do it so late.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 05-05-2021 at 12:14 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Have any of you read the WPA Slave Narratives?

Those have often been cited as reasons for NOT passing the Civil Rights Act and lot of current Rs are starting to cite them again as "proof" the slaves enjoyed being owned.

A lot of the people interviewed, 70 years later, lived in the house as children. So they had very rose-tinted views of slavery.

It was a bit of fool's errand to do it so late.
    Your link didn't show up. Those dreaded asterisks again.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Your link didn't show up. Those dreaded asterisks again.
    Library of Congress is a bad site, now?

I made it a tinyurl.

https://tinyurl.com/256uskts

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Oh WBE! Get a load of this racist *******.

Colorado State Rep Richard Holtorf (R-Akron) referred to a colleague as “Buckwheat,” leading to a heated exchange and brief recess of the House. #coleg #copolitics #9News https://t.co/jYXNbEMg8q
    Not the first time of him being a prick either.

It’s not clear from the House video feed who Holtorf called “Buckwheat.” He was immediately challenged by Rep Tom Sullivan, who Holtorf had previously told to get over the murder of his son in the Aurora Theater shooting. https://t.co/HPGkt7quh2
    And then there's this.

Rep Holtorf recently downplayed concerns by Black colleagues about racism at the Capitol, telling the @denverpost that he had a gay Black friend in college. https://t.co/03vsdzlmKE

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Ted Cruz has been sharing a photo of himself and Trump together when he went down to Mar-a-Lago to kiss the ring the other night. He'd pimp out his own mother if it advanced his career.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Ted Cruz rips new 'Humans of CIA' video: 'We've come a long way from Jason Bourne'

Cruz criticized a "Humans of the CIA" video recently released by the agency, which showed a first-generation Latina CIA agent discussing her “intersectional” identity and being a mom diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder.

"If you’re a Chinese communist, or an Iranian Mullah, or Kim Jong Un...would this scare you? We’ve come a long way from Jason Bourne," Cruz wrote.
    I don't often advocate a punch to the face yet ... here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Even if the slaves were counted as full people, it would have only been so for the purpose of deciding how many Congressional representatives and how many Electoral votes each slave state received. It would not have given any kind of rights to the slaves. The South wanted it both ways. They wanted to count the slaves as people when it came to their political power, but not when it came to actually treating the slaves as free human beings.
    I agree with this completely.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    It's been many a year since I've visited the Wonkette site, they had as many pop-up ads as Bleeding Cool the last time I was there, but the thing I remember most about the site was that it was firmly on the left and was there pretty much to mock the right in any way possible. I sincerely doubt anyone there (even jokingly) is taking the side of the slaveholders. Honestly, outside of those in the Republican Party pandering to racists in their base I doubt most people would. Perhaps one of the commenters are unfamiliar with the 3/5 compromise and the reasons behind it and just saw that we'd labeled slaves as 3/5 of a human being (while treating them as 0/5 of a human being) and said, "Hey that's pretty messed up." Which I believe is the reaction of most kids in Middle School learning about our history. Perhaps it was a poster from another country, or maybe it was heavy sarcasm, maybe even a troll trying to tweak the regulars. But I guarantee, unless that site's gone Bizarro, nobody was seriously advocating for more power for the slaveholders. Though if I'm wrong, by all means correct me.
    The commenters seem to be aware of the issue.

If anything, there seems to be an attempt to exploit the ignorance of many Americans about history in the framing of the argument.

In this case, the symbolism would have a significant cost, and that's not something they're willing to address.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    SPOILER ALERT: They WERE full people, Mets. The whole time.
    We argued about this six years ago.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ve#post1484602

At the time, I took the side of the abolitionists that the three-fifths compromise is preferable to what the Southerners wanted. This conclusion is unpleasant, but it should not be controversial.

If the Northerners had gone with the symbolism of counting slaves as much as free people in congressional representation, it would have probably extended the length of the practice, by making the South more powerful in presidential and congressional elections.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 05-05-2021 at 01:49 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets