Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    295

    Default Any sci-fi novel recommendations - easy to read

    Looking for sci-fi novels that are fast-paced... easy to read(to me this generally means it's light on description).

    I've always thought Asimov's Robot Novels were pretty easy reads because he gets a great deal of plot out of a small amount of basic ideas (3 laws of robotics). Also his prose is very clear and straightforward.

    Any recommendations? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    6,940

    Default

    The early Heinlein books from the 1940s and 1950s meet the bill - Red Planet, Have Spacesuit Will Travel, Citizen of the Galaxy, Starship Troopers (probably the epitomy of what you are looking for). Avoid the later stuff from the 1960s and on - they are still good but have a lot of philosophizing.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  3. #3
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The early Heinlein books meet the bill - Red Planet, Have Spacesuit Will Travel, Citizen of the Galaxy, Starship Troopers (probably the epitomy of what you are looking for).
    cool! Thanks! I read Stranger in a Strange Land years ago and didn't really like it. Didn't read anything else by him.

  4. #4
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,577

    Default

    I was a fan of almost all of Larry Niven's Known Space work. His characterization is not the strongest, and his characters are usually a bit quirky, but the plots are both fast and rich, and his world conceptualization is his main strength.

    For a standalone of his stuff, World Out Of Time is pretty good. It's a bit dated now, but his Footfall, with Jerry Pournelle is a fun invasion yarn.

  5. #5
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I was a fan of almost all of Larry Niven's Known Space work. His characterization is not the strongest, and his characters are usually a bit quirky, but the plots are both fast and rich, and his world conceptualization is his main strength.

    For a standalone of his stuff, World Out Of Time is pretty good. It's a bit dated now, but his Footfall, with Jerry Pournelle is a fun invasion yarn.
    awesome! Thanks. Did read Ringworld years back but can't remember much about it.

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. LeGuin

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member Zelena's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    2,660

    Default

    A. E. Van Vogt is a very easy writer to read, according to forked tongues, too easy…
    I read his stories when I was much younger so not sure if it would be your cup of tea.
    All his short stories are very pleasant like with the compilation “The Voyage of the Space Beagle”.

    Georges R.R. Martin has also written a collection of short stories I liked: “A song for Lya”… More literary.

    Fredric Brown’s short stories are very funny… like the stories in the collection “Honeymoon in Hell”.

  8. #8
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    11,444

    Default

    I echo Starship Troopers for classics!

    Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy is fun and easy-to-read.

    The Martian Chronicles, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Fahrenheit 451, The Sirens of Titan, & surprisingly Frankenstein I would say round out the easy-to-read classics.

    Modern to Post-Modern?

    To Sleep In A See of Stars is an easy-to-read space opera.

    The Handmaid’s Tale, The Martian, Red Mars, Jurassic Park, & Annihilation (I would recommend avoiding the sequels of the Southern Reach, the first book is amazing and reads well without the others).
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  9. #9
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. LeGuin
    cool! Thanks!

  10. #10
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    A. E. Van Vogt is a very easy writer to read, according to forked tongues, too easy…
    I read his stories when I was much younger so not sure if it would be your cup of tea.
    All his short stories are very pleasant like with the compilation “The Voyage of the Space Beagle”.

    Georges R.R. Martin has also written a collection of short stories I liked: “A song for Lya”… More literary.

    Fredric Brown’s short stories are very funny… like the stories in the collection “Honeymoon in Hell”.
    Thanks! Van Vogt sounds perfect actually!

  11. #11
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I echo Starship Troopers for classics!

    Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy is fun and easy-to-read.

    The Martian Chronicles, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Fahrenheit 451, Jurassic Park, & surprisingly Frankenstein I would say round out the easy-to-read classics.

    Modern to Post-Modern?

    To Sleep In A See of Stars is an easy-to-read space opera.

    The Handmaid’s Tale, The Martian, Red Mars, Ender's Game, & Annihilation (I would recommend avoiding the sequels of the Southern Reach, the first book is amazing and reads well without the others).
    Nice! Thanks. I've read some of these. I have not read Frankenstein! It is supposed to be the first sci-fi novel.

  12. #12
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    11,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    Nice! Thanks. I've read some of these. I have not read Frankenstein! It is supposed to be the first sci-fi novel.
    For being written nearly 200 years ago, I would say it reads fairly contemporary as opposed to Dracula, The Lost World, or War of the Worlds.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  13. #13
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,642

    Default

    Alfred Bester, The Demolished Man and The Stars My Destination.
    If you like Asimov, Whom the Gods Would Destroy.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  14. #14
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Alfred Bester, The Demolished Man and The Stars My Destination.
    If you like Asimov, Whom the Gods Would Destroy.
    Thanks! Did you mean "The Gods Themselves" ?

  15. #15
    Mighty Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Underneath the Brooklyn Bridge
    Posts
    1,809

    Default

    Slaughterhouse 5
    Sirens of Titans
    Slapatick (personally my favorite Vonegut novel.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •