Page 137 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 37871271331341351361371381391401411471872376371137 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,055 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Makes me astonished he’d rather be talking about his “most vicious dogs” rather than attempting to appeal to the concerns of protesters that want black people have better lives in society, since their lives most definitely matter, and restructure the police departments so that they don’t act like self-appointed dictators doing whatever they want such as threatening any peacefully-started protests and arresting camera crews.
    Of course he is talking about his attack dogs and threatening. It is not about the fact that the protesters have a message, not about the fact that they were being peaceful(Something I was happy to see as it is rare right now) It is about the fact that they had the nerve to protest outside of his home and power center. His response was not to ask what brought them to this point but rather to lash out and be a big bully. I honestly dont know how you or anyone else can be astonished by this reaction. it is par for the course.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I honestly dont know how you or anyone else can be astonished by this reaction. it is par for the course.
    That’s the thing, it shouldn’t be par for the course even though his antagonizing and “better than thou” attitude has gone on for awhile. I’m also concerned what type of person I’d turn into if I reacted towards his idiocy with no emotion and just accepted it.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Jesus! That’s WAY too many for any cop to still be on the street. At best, Chauvin should’ve been chained to a desk if not flat out fired.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Jesus! That’s WAY too many for any cop to still be on the street. At best, Chauvin should’ve been chained to a desk if not flat out fired.
    I'm old enough to remember when "three strikes and you're out"was a thing.

Oh that's right. Not for law enforcement

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    I'm old enough to remember when "three strikes and you're out"was a thing.

Oh that's right. Not for law enforcement
    It is of my opinion so far that many police departments in the US have come to the point where they’ve been poisoned by a sense of anarchy, a chaotic anarchy which must be quelled our sooner rather than later.

man on Fox News was just interviewed. I didnt catch his name because I didnt see the start of the interview. But he said that there is a better chance Floyd a known drug user died of a heart attack caused by drugs then by anything the police did.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

man on Fox News was just interviewed. I didnt catch his name because I didnt see the start of the interview. But he said that there is a better chance Floyd a known drug user died of a heart attack caused by drugs then by anything the police did.
    Victim blaming. Predictable. I think I read somewhere that the coroner found no basis for Floyd having died as a result of Chauvin’s actions, leading the Floyd family to seek a second, outside opinion.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

People who try to do that can make at least as much money easier by receiving money from the NRA, which benefits from gun violence, police brutality, a high crime rate, and low quality of black schools. Being successful resolving all of these ills is much more nebulous, at best.
    People will back organizations like the NRA without believing that they're making things worse.

If we truly recognized how to solve the problems of the world without any major tradeoffs, standing in the way would not only be monstrous but not in anyone's best interests, because there would be so much more money and success in taking credit for fixing everything.

These things are controversial because there are no easy solutions.

As I say, until we hold law enforcement accountable - perhaps more importantly until law enforcement holds itself accountable - there can be no real democracy. Or even a representative republic. There will always be the disenfranchised, and law enforcement will actively work to keep them that way.
    What more do we need to do in order to hold law enforcement accountable?

If someone disagrees with treating other people with respect, based on race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or criminal history, than I don't really give a flying f what they think about violent protests.
    That is why I added the alternative "don't believe merit the attention they receive." In this case, most people broadly believe that bad cops should be investigated. The main disagreement would be about how a big problem bad cops are, and how much attention should be devoted to it.

However, whatever policy we want for the response to protesters shouldn't be based on whether we agree with them. Otherwise, it gives intellectual cover for officeholders to go after protesters they disagree with, and reward the ones on their side.

Certainly not until we are consistent about holding them accountable for screwing up.

Of course, alternative strategies by Democrats generally hold up to much greater scrutiny than Republicans, who tend to suggest the solution to crime is to "grab criminals by the throat, throw them in prison and never let them out" (paraphrase of Phil Graham on the Senate floor).
    In order to show that someone is wrong, there does need to be some kind of alternative presented. Otherwise, there is the potential argument that a deeply flawed outcome is the least-bad of several terrible choices.

A complicating factor that people will rarely admit is that sometimes the right thing to do is not popular. In these cases, Democrats would be loathe to say what their policy would be. There are also situations in which Republicans would prefer criticism to offering a clear alternative (witness the failure to come up with an alternative to the Affordable Care Act) so it's not a matter of one party having the moral high road on this. But in the mid-1990s, it would have been politically difficult for Democrats to offer an alternative to tough on crime policies, and win elections. Especially in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I've not only shown the Democratic alternatives (which you again ignored) I've also shown how Republicans obstruct and roll back said altenatives and solutions even when they are effective.

Leading -- again -- to the situation that we see today.

At this point, I'll just make sure not to respond to your deflections any longer -- it serves no purpose whatsoever.

I already told you what would happen if your party kept suppressing and oppressing the rights of others.

Now we all get to see it play out in real time.
    I was responding to the point that "The Republican way is to oppose "the left" -- you have to give an answer so they can explain why it probably wouldn't work." and suggesting that explaining why something probably wouldn't work is a valid criticism of a policy approach.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

If much time later down the road a smoking gun and an overwhelming amount of counter-evidence comes out which objectively and definitively proves that drugs or whatever else had significantly more to do with George Floyd’s death than a reckless cop’s knee on neck actions, then fine, I’m prepared to accept honest to goodness evidence as honest, but until then, I’ll continue life assuming the belief that that reckless and irresponsible cop was the primary reason he died, and should serve as a wake up call to all police departments everywhere to have their cops re-trained in a more responsible manner, or fired if they fail to comply, so as to better carry out the protect and serve concept with less militarized terrorism and more humane responsibility.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

I'm really not sure where I've said anything on the question of whether we can adopt policing policies for other countries. As far as I can tell, you introduced the topic in your post.
    OK, if it upsets you I will stop trying to broaden your horizons in the future.

America, **** yeah!
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Makes me astonished he’d rather be talking about his “most vicious dogs” rather than attempting to appeal to the concerns of protesters that want black people have better lives in society, since their lives most definitely matter, and restructure the police departments so that they don’t act like self-appointed dictators doing whatever they want such as threatening any peacefully-started protests and arresting camera crews.
    Donald, the dove.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Maybe he should ask his abuela if she spoke English when she first came here.
    It's pronounced Fyoontes, from the Essex Fuentes.

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Meanwhile, as we've seen from the craven s*** in action:

How does that obese, short-tempered drug addict not have more health problems?

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    And that makes his superiors accessories to the crime.
    Any who reviewed those complaints and could've prevented this officer from interacting with the public carries part of the blame.

IMO the service records of any officer receiving complaints should come under review by some sort of independent citizen committee. Police unions be damned. If they won't stand for scrutiny by the public the supposedly protect and serve, they can quit. The fucking "Blue Wall" needs to come down.

That’s the thing, it shouldn’t be par for the course even though his antagonizing and “better than thou” attitude has gone on for awhile. I’m also concerned what type of person I’d turn into if I reacted towards his idiocy with no emotion and just accepted it.
    The correct responses are surprise, disgust and revulsion.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 05-30-2020 at 12:46 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    How does that obese, short-tempered drug addict not have more health problems?
    Super rich, better doctors then any of us can hope to get.