Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Really? I'm surprised. It's hardly a secret people of color have bullseyes on their backs when it comes to being targeted by law enforcement, so I'm stunned at this revelation.

Maybe you are thinking of this study
    An August 2019 study published by the National Academy of Sciences based on police-shooting databases found that between 2013 and 2018, black men were about 2.5 times more likely than white men to be killed by police, and that black men have a 1-in-1,000 chance of dying at the hands of police. Black women were 1.4 more times likely to be killed than white women. Latino men were 1.3 to 1.4 times more likely to be killed than white men. Latino women were between 12 percent and 23 percent less likely to be killed than white women.
    However it matches the data
    “Many people ask whether black or white citizens are more likely to be shot and why. We found that violent crime rates are the driving force behind fatal shootings,” Cesario said. “Our data show that the rate of crime by each racial group correlates with the likelihood of citizens from that racial group being shot. If you live in a county that has a lot of white people committing crimes, white people are more likely to be shot. If you live in a county that has a lot of black people committing crimes, black people are more likely to be shot. It is the best predictor we have of fatal police shootings.”
    https://socialscience.msu.edu/news-e...019-07-22.html

not that academics are happy about it though
    https://www.westernjournal.com/acade...ice-shootings/

I found this essay sadly true.

Yes World, It’s That Bad Here in America—and Worse

Yes, it’s one political party’s sociopathic lack of empathy and their unrepentant viciousness—but it’s the people we’ve shared Thanksgiving dinner with and served on mission trips alongside, who share their venom and boost their signal.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    It happens and according to Fox News that is why no one is upset at this shooting. The guy was white. if the man was black the city would be on fire and BLM terrorists would be roaming the streets in bands etc... And this goes to prove that reasonable people are willing to let the system work. I mean they no longer even pretend to not be racist anymore.
    I'd suggest that, because the man who was shot was White, the Police Officer was fired so quickly and might be brought up on charges. It's possible that, if the man in the wheelchair was black or Hispanic, then accountability would have been slow walked.

I could be wrong.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    It happens and according to Fox News that is why no one is upset at this shooting. The guy was white. if the man was black the city would be on fire and BLM terrorists would be roaming the streets in bands etc... And this goes to prove that reasonable people are willing to let the system work. I mean they no longer even pretend to not be racist anymore.
    Maybe they aren't upset because this time it looks like something approaching justice might be done. The blue wall of silence is conspicuously absent in this one. Every unjustified shooting is still a tragedy, but if all of them were followed up like this one we would see far fewer protests over them. They wouldn't be needed.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Symone Sanders, Harris' chief spokesperson, to leave White House
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/01/polit...ris/index.html
    So someone wasn't happy with working in that administration? I wonder why is that. Or perhaps Symone Sanders has found a better job than the White House job?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Maybe they aren't upset because this time it looks like something approaching justice might be done. The blue wall of silence is conspicuously absent in this one.
    The cops had perhaps the good sense to recognize their brother in blue was totally wrong to shoot a wheelchair-bound man in the back even though he was armed with a knife?

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I'd suggest that, because the man who was shot was White, the Police Officer was fired so quickly and might be brought up on charges. It's possible that, if the man in the wheelchair was black or Hispanic, then accountability would have been slow walked.

I could be wrong.
    I cant disagree with this at all when the history of our country has proven you right. And how many of the officers that have been held accountable would have been if not for video and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Maybe they aren't upset because this time it looks like something approaching justice might be done. The blue wall of silence is conspicuously absent in this one. Every unjustified shooting is still a tragedy, but if all of them were followed up like this one we would see far fewer protests over them. They wouldn't be needed.
    I will agree with this more then I do the no one is upset because the guy was right narrative that some people on Fox News are trying to push.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It never seems to occur to the Op writer that people are reacting to something that is making them angry rather than just giving in to being mean. Fairness isn't in being the giving one ALL THE TIME and perhaps the supposed "downtrodden" are not seen as such really. Of course you can blame people for being brainwashed or misled but that short changes people in general whom democracy is supposed to arise from to begin with.
    https://johnpavlovitz.com/2018/04/04...=johnpavlovitz
    Of course he doesn't understand why Trump became Necessary
    Last edited by Xheight; 12-02-2021 at 08:37 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Lost in the shuffle of Omicron gearing up to make the rounds, yet another terrible school shooting and SCOTUS all but gutting Roe v. Wade is that the current continuing resolution funding the federal government is set to expire at midnight tomorrow. If no agreement is reached before then, that means millions of workers like myself will wind up furloughed Saturday morning. As I type these words of wit, I haven't heard anything from the head of the facility where I work, nor seen anything on the news about any sort of settlement being in the works. Maddening.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Lost in the shuffle of Omicron gearing up to make the rounds, yet another terrible school shooting and SCOTUS all but gutting Roe v. Wade is that the current continuing resolution funding the federal government is set to expire at midnight tomorrow. If no agreement is reached before then, that means millions of workers like myself will wind up furloughed Saturday morning. As I type these words of wit, I haven't heard anything from the head of the facility where I work, nor seen anything on the news about any sort of settlement being in the works. Maddening.
    Democrats announce deal to fund government as shutdown looms: Here's what we know about where things stand.

The ink is still drying.

Should have complained sooner!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    It's not a done deal yet.

Preventing a government shutdown this week, however, isn’t guaranteed. Republicans in the House and the Senate have signaled that they want to delay passage of a spending bill over objections to the Biden administration's Covid-19 vaccine mandates for workers.

The conservative House Freedom Caucus urged Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., in a letter Wednesday to slow down the process in the Senate.

The conservative caucus is essentially threatening a potential shutdown to push back against President Joe Biden's vaccine mandates, which have been tied up in the courts.

A pair of Republican senators, Mike Lee of Utah, and Roger Marshall of Kansas, are also threatening to delay the government spending bill if funding to enforce vaccine mandates is included.
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., lashed out at Republicans Thursday when asked about their efforts and said she doesn't even know if conservatives would have the votes to block the measure.

“But it is yet again a double, a double sense of irresponsibility," she told reporters at her weekly press conference. "First of all, they shut down government, and then they shut down science.”

"This is so silly that we have people [who] are anti-science, anti-vaccination, saying they're going to shut down government over that," she added.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said on the Senate floor Thursday, "Unfortunately, it seems Republican dysfunction could be a roadblock to averting an unnecessary and dangerous government shutdown ... Let's be clear, if there is a shutdown, it will be a Republican anti-vaccine shutdown."

McConnell, meanwhile, made it clear Tuesday that he doesn’t want a shutdown. ​​

"We won't shut down,” he told reporters. “I think we'll get there, and certainly nobody should be concerned about a government shutdown.”

Congress must pass a government funding measure by the end of Friday or risk a shutdown Saturday.

That really does describe life here in the Midwest. The situation has definitely gotten worse over the last five years.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Federal Worker? explains so much.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

It will be fun watching the position he has to adopt to win the Primary. He also has to kiss Trump's ass.
    Will he also have to renounce his dual citizenship?

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Is there any great distinction between racism and what I think of as “negation nationalism”?? (For me, nationalism is positive when its about loving your own country, negative when it’s about disliking other countries.)

I ask because at recent meeting with a group of friends we got to discussing forthcoming wedding of one friends daughter (British) to a French guy.

The French guys parents are being a wee bit difficult…for example…they have said they won’t be eating any of the food (“English crap”) and want all the speeches in French (my mate and his family are fluent, but would prefer some of the speeches in English because of some of the guests.)

When my mate was explaining this…it was like pressing the destruct button…a fair number of the group went on massive monologues against all things French.
    Just my personal opinion, I wouldn't use the word racism here since it is against people from another country, not of another race or ethnicity (of course in some cases there may be intersection). Xenophobia would be probably more fitting. The difference for me is whether someone is criticising a specific person for being a dick (acceptable) or another country's government for their policies (acceptable), or people from that country in general for some traits they may not even all share, usually something stereotypical and not really anything worth criticising (this would be xenophobic IMO). From your description, it sounds like it was the first scenario later turning into the last scenario. Though from what you say, the parents also seemed to have some shades of that.