Page 108 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 858981041051061071081091101111121181582086081108 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I know it is early, but right now the polls still show a crushing defeat for Trump in the Electoral College:

Something major would have to happen for Biden to fall behind so badly. Maybe if he picked Ann Coulter for the Veep position. Or if video of him raping Tara Reade on a pile of money during a Burisma board meeting surfaced. Or if he fell into a coma and the DNC replaced him with Bernie Sanders.
    This time in 2016, Hillary was looking to get 347 EC votes to Trump's 191.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...tType=REGIWALL
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    #JusticeForCarolyn is trending on Twitter. not sure yet what to make of it.
    Can’t say I like this strategy. I’m all for Trump being taken down, and taken down hard, but with facts, with the truth, not made up nonsense like this. I mean, c’mon, Trump is as despicable as they come, but he doesn’t have the balls to step on a cockroach, never mind kill another human being, and everyone knows it. This imaginary **** is going to backfire big time.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post

I’m as pessimistic as they come but 4 years ago Trump wasn’t responsible for the economy tanking due to his horrible (lack of) response to a pandemic that has caused 100k deaths and rising. Plus Biden is no where near as polarizing as Hillary.

I would never count Trump out because his team is going to use every dirty and illegal trick in the book to win. But there is a huge difference between 2016 and this election. If Biden chooses Warren or Harris for VP I think it will unit the Democrats even more and put Trump in a bigger hole.

Biden running ahead of Clinton‘s 2016 pace
    Last edited by Robotman; 05-26-2020 at 06:44 PM.

We also don't know what the economy will be like in five months. Ryan Lizza and Daniel Lippman wrote about the potential economic debate for Politico.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...mocrats-281470

In early April, Jason Furman, a top economist in the Obama administration and now a professor at Harvard, was speaking via Zoom to a large bipartisan group of top officials from both parties. The economy had just been shut down, unemployment was spiking and some policymakers were predicting an era worse than the Great Depression. The economic carnage seemed likely to doom President Donald Trump’s chances at reelection.

Furman, tapped to give the opening presentation, looked into his screen of poorly lit boxes of frightened wonks and made a startling claim.

“We are about to see the best economic data we’ve seen in the history of this country,” he said.

The former Cabinet secretaries and Federal Reserve chairs in the Zoom boxes were confused, though some of the Republicans may have been newly relieved and some of the Democrats suddenly concerned.

“Everyone looked puzzled and thought I had misspoken,” Furman said in an interview. Instead of forecasting a prolonged Depression-level economic catastrophe, Furman laid out a detailed case for why the months preceding the November election could offer Trump the chance to brag — truthfully — about the most explosive monthly employment numbers and gross domestic product growth ever.

Since the Zoom call, Furman has been making the same case to anyone who will listen, especially the close-knit network of Democratic wonks who have traversed the Clinton and Obama administrations together, including top members of the Biden campaign.

Furman’s counterintuitive pitch has caused some Democrats, especially Obama alumni, around Washington to panic. “This is my big worry,” said a former Obama White House official who is still close to the former president. Asked about the level of concern among top party officials, he said, “It’s high — high, high, high, high.”

And top policy officials on the Biden campaign are preparing for a fall economic debate that might look very different than the one predicted at the start of the pandemic in March. “They are very much aware of this,” said an informal adviser.

Furman’s case begins with the premise that the 2020 pandemic-triggered economic collapse is categorically different than the Great Depression or the Great Recession, which both had slow, grinding recoveries.

Instead, he believes, the way to think about the current economic drop-off, at least in the first two phases, is more like what happens to a thriving economy during and after a natural disaster: a quick and steep decline in economic activity followed by a quick and steep rebound.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    We also don't know what the economy will be like in five months. Ryan Lizza and Daniel Lippman wrote about the potential economic debate for Politico.

Even if the economy comes roaring back by November I still don’t think it will be enough to turn the needed swing states to Trump. I think the damage has been done with his senior citizen voting block. He may get Ohio, Virginia, and North Carolina back but I think the retirees in Florida will carry Biden to victory. You can even give Trump Wisconsin.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Only in America can the mismanagement, incompetence and negligence resulting in 100,000+ deaths be totally ignored because of money.

And, yeah I know, there's other people involved in this calamity - Governors, China, etc - but we all know the buck stops with Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I’m as pessimistic as they come but 4 years ago Trump wasn’t responsible for the economy tanking due to his horrible (lack of) response to a pandemic that has caused 100k deaths and rising. Plus Biden is no where near as polarizing as Hillary.

I would never count Trump out because his team is going to use every dirty and illegal trick in the book to win. But there is a huge difference between 2016 and this election. If Biden chooses Warren or Harris for VP I think it will unit the Democrats even more and put Trump in a bigger hole.

That doesn't even account for where individual aspects like virus spread in the meat processing industry goes.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    Only in America can the mismanagement, incompetence and negligence resulting in 100,000+ deaths be totally ignored because of money.

And, yeah I know, there's other people involved in this calamity - Governors, China, etc - but we all know the buck stops with Trump.
    But our human capital stock is ready to go!

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...stock-1004909/

Yes, I'm sure that workers, even Republican workers, *love* being reduced to 'human capital stock' by their wealthy overlords out loud. Surely, this will help Trump.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    But our human capital stock is ready to go!

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...stock-1004909/

Yes, I'm sure that workers, even Republican workers, *love* being reduced to 'human capital stock' by their wealthy overlords out loud. Surely, this will help Trump.
    Anybody remembers when Babe the sentient pig not being slaughtered in the movie like his ancestors for food was supposed to be inspirational instead of a blaring horn new normal for Republican humans?

Astonishing Member

trump Tweets swine flu deaths. There are several things that he can attack Biden on but bringing up the swine flu right now when we are close to 100,000 deaths from COVID 19 is ridiculous.

"Biden/Obama were a disaster in handling the H1N1 Swine Flu. Polling at the time showed disastrous approval numbers. 17,000 people died unnecessarily and through incompetence! Also, don’t forget their 5 Billion Dollar Obamacare website that should have cost close to nothing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

True. I just don't want us to be in that position again where everybody thinks that the Democratic candidate is a shoe-in and it causes a bunch of people to not even bother with voting.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

True. I just don't want us to be in that position again where everybody thinks that the Democratic candidate is a shoe-in and it causes a bunch of people to not even bother with voting.
    Absolutely. We don't want people to take stability and sane governemnt for granted anymore. We've seen what happens when you do.

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Dominic Cummings is STILL here despite several resignations and over 70% of the British public wanting him gone. This shambles of a government is burning its credibility rapidly by protecting someone who (by all rights) is a disposable flunkie and fuelling conspiracy theories in the process.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Dominic Cummings is STILL here despite several resignations and over 70% of the British public wanting him gone. This shambles of a government is burning its credibility rapidly by protecting someone who (by all rights) is a disposable flunkie and fuelling conspiracy theories in the process.
    Are British people genuinely surprised that a Tory thinks himself above everyone else?