Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

So far from all shown Biden's cabinet picks aren't radicals or anything. So there should be no fucking excuse that they can't pass through in hearings.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    So far from all shown Biden's cabinet picks aren't radicals or anything. So there should be no fucking excuse that they can't pass through in hearings.
    Usually, one or two cabinet officials get rejected. It tends to be some minor scandal, rather than political reasons.

Bill Clinton withdrew nominations for two candidates for Attorney General when it turned they had used undocumented workers for their household.

Bernie Kerik was rejected as Secretary of Homeland Security for the same reason in the Bush administration.

In the Obama administration, Tom Daschle's nomination as HHS Secretary was withdrawn when he had $140,000 in unpaid taxes. Bill Richardson's nomination as Secretary of Commerce was withdrawn due to a grand jury investigation.

Trump's nominee for Secretary of Labor faced allegations of wage theft, sexual harassment and spousal abuse.

It seems rare to have anyone rejected for being too radical, but odds are that there will be some kind of skeleton in someone's closet.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Georgia tries to block new voters ahead of runoff
    Proposed new registration rule would require car registered in state.

Georgia’s Board of Elections is trying to sneak through a new rule that could block new registrations before the Senate runoff to people who don’t have a car registered in the state.

This knocks out students and lower income urban voters (i.e. Black Atlantans) without cars. Of course, you can’t force people to buy a car in order to vote. The voters will be allowed on the rolls after a hearing, which will of course be after the January 5 election.
    He Mets, explain again why the Voting Rights Act needed to be overturned by Roberts and was no longer relevant?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post

He Mets, explain again why the Voting Rights Act needed to be overturned by Roberts and was no longer relevant?
    Its...not a poll tax...somehow?

God, that's a poll tax that's probably more expensive than the original one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Its...not a poll tax...somehow?

God, that's a poll tax that's probably more expensive than the original one.
    But the current "originalist" Supreme Court says that is okay.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

JUST IN: Biden Expected to Pick Janet Yellen as Treasury Secretary!

https://www.mediaite.com/news/just-i...#disqus_thread

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

The Voting Rights Act was not overturned. A section of it which treated Georgia and a few other states differently was overturned, with the rationale that the decision about whether a state should be held to different standards should be based on contemporary information rather than the situation generations ago.

The new rule seems to be misunderstood.

There is no requirement to own a car to register to vote.

If someone does not have a valid Georgia ID, car registration documents will count as a substitute.

https://twitter.com/MantaWords/statu...86122365739008

Greg Palast spreading this kind of false information could discourage people from registering to vote by making people think it's harder than it is.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

But the current "originalist" Supreme Court says that is okay.
    Even if Georgia had passed the law the way you understood it, it wouldn't stand to reason that the Supreme Court would support it.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Exclamation

FINALLY, Been waiting for this News!

Michigan Officially Certifies Biden as State’s Election Winner!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    We'll see how many officials agree that he should remain President despite having lost.

That said, I'm not sure this goes beyond losing gracefully.

There is a legitimate argument that it would be better for a party if they unambiguously tossed overboard every member who was in the wrong on every major issue. For example, all Democrats should admit "Hands up, don't shoot" is based on a lie. I don't see the party doing that yet.

It is a problem that we have to say "we'll see", when we know that he lost! That is the problem! I know, just a few Republican politicians have just started to say he should accept the results of the election, but they should have been saying that all along! And yeah, while I imagine (and definitely hope) they will all eventually say he has to accept the results, it is dangerous and irresponsible for them to have gone along with it for so long. Given that we have already seen how there are right wing individuals and groups who are willing to resort to violence, and how there are thousands right now who are convinced there is a vast, nation-wide conspiracy working against them because Trump says so, "humoring" him this way can quite likely have literally deadly effects. Not even counting how many will still die yet due to the pandemic.

I suppose we can agree to disagree about what "beyond not losing gracefully" means, but I would offer how much of a poor sport Bernie was when he lost to Hillary, as an example of what not losing gracefully looks like. He grudgingly backed her once she was the candidate, but it was obviously a spiteful support.

And here's the thing, consider for a moment the alternate reality where Bernie beat Hillary, then beat Trump in 2016. After a divisive and tumultuous administration, where he was defeated by Romney weeks ago because somehow he managed to bungle the pandemic response as badly as Trump has, in our world? Alternate President Sanders does not try to undermine the election system so he can stay in power, not just because he is not as corrupt as Trump, but also because the Democratic leadership would not have supported his delusion for like two seconds once it was clear that he lost, and likewise, regardless of how often the two groups have been declared as just the same, I really don't see Bernie supporters standing with him as he tries to undermine the election process.

And I kind of don't see your point about "Hands Up, Don't Shoot". It's not as if any Democrats are in office based on the slogan. Who should be "tossed overboard" for it? Besides which, I think that saying it's "based on a lie" misses the point that the protests in Ferguson were not about just the shooting of Mike Brown. It was the response to systemic problems, and likewise I think the slogan has endured because those problems are not isolated to just Ferguson or St. Louis, but a problem with police nation-wide. I mean, I know you are not a fan of the term "Defund the Police" either, but I would say both are about trying to address how a good portion of the population do not feel as if the police "Protect and Serve" them.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    So Kelly Loefller backed Qanon for nothing.
    If you are correct, I will happily dance in the streets, but I can't count them out yet. The word "abortion" can still do incredible things to GOP voters

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Looks like Emily Murphy has finally given in and did her job.

NEWS: The GSA has informed president-elect Joe Biden the administration is ready to begin the formal transition process, according to a letter from administrator Emily Murphy sent Monday afternoon and obtained by CNN, via @KristenhCNN

BANNED

See the House Dems get a lot of stuff done by bullying bureaucrats into doing their job.

Boisterously Confused

Proportion Check: what was the ratio of "It's not my fault," vs. "Quit being mean to me," vs. "I did my job" in her text?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Proportion Check: what was the ratio of "It's not my fault," vs. "Quit being mean to me," vs. "I did my job" in her text?
    A quote from Twitter:

"One paragraph on the first page about her job; the rest is whining about herself."