Page 378 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 2783283683743753763773783793803813823884284788781378 ... LastLast
Results 5,656 to 5,670 of 75153
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Trump threatens to cut federal funds from schools that don't reopen

President Donald Trump and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos are threatening to cut federal funding if schools don't fully physically reopen, increasing pressure on education leaders as the Trump administration intensifies its drive to get kids back in classrooms.

Trump on Wednesday morning tweeted, "In Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and many other countries, SCHOOLS ARE OPEN WITH NO PROBLEMS. The Dems think it would be bad for them politically if U.S. schools open before the November Election, but is important for the children & families. May cut off funding if not open!"

On Tuesday night, DeVos said she is “very seriously” looking at withholding federal funds from schools that don't pen their doors this fall.

“Kids have got to continue learning,” she told Fox News’ Tucker Carlson during an interview late Tuesday. “Schools have got to open up, there has got to be concerted effort to address the needs of all kids and adults who are fear mongering and making excuses simply have got to stop doing it and turn their attention on what is right for students and for their families.”
    Trump can threaten and strongarm reluctant governors to reopen schools all he wants, but if teachers refuse to return, especially since there's no coherent strategy to address coronavirus concerns, and parents are scared to death of sending their kids into what figures to be brick and mortar petri dishes, then those threats will be blatantly empty, just like schools figure to be.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

San Francisco supervisor introducing ‘Caren Act’ to stop racist 9-1-1 calls

The city of San Francisco is being asked to take a stand against Karens.

Supervisor Shamann Walton introduced on Tuesday the Caution Against Racially Exploitative Non-Emergencies (or CAREN) Act, which would make it illegal to “fabricate false racially biased emergency reports.”

Over the last several weeks, examples of racial profiling have been recorded and made the rounds on social media, including instances of white women alleged to have used the threat of calling police against people of color. Those people who have been accused of such discrimination have been condescendingly labeled as a “Caren” or, more commonly a “Karen.”

“Racist 911 calls are unacceptable that’s why I’m introducing the CAREN Act at today’s SF Board of Supervisors meeting,” Walton tweeted Tuesday. “This is the CAREN we need. Caution Against Racially Exploitative Non-Emergencies.”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

As an African-American, the CAREN Act should go nationwide. While I've never been profiled or had some crazed white woman sic the cops on me, I fear it's only a matter of time. That sort of harassment needs to stop, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    As an African-American, the CAREN Act should go nationwide. While I've never been profiled or had some crazed white woman sic the cops on me, I fear it's only a matter of time. That sort of harassment needs to stop, plain and simple.
    I LOVE the Caren Act.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    It might be if you look at it from a perspective where you close your eyes and chant "LALALALA" to ignore that the GOP have multiple Qanon supporters on the November ballot for seats in the U.S. House.

Or, y'know, some other kind of willful cognitive dissonance.
    Some day, it will disappear, it will be like a miracle.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

I suspect that other states, mostly blue states, will wait a little while to see how well it works. After that, I'm sure that many will also begin passing their own CAREN acts.

I'm going to be curious about the enforcement of the law, as there are two competing interests. We want to encourage people to report actual problems, and discourage them from wasting the time of police officers/ escalating situations unnecessarily. There are also going to be some grey areas (drunk & disorderly conduct, etc.) where reasonable people can disagree about whether something is a real emergency.

The name of the act is fantastic.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Some day, it will disappear, it will be like a miracle.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Trump threatens to cut federal funds from schools that don't reopen

Trump can threaten and strongarm reluctant governors to reopen schools all he wants, but if teachers refuse to return, especially since there's no coherent strategy to address coronavirus concerns, and parents are scared to death of sending their kids into what figures to be brick and mortar petri dishes, then those threats will be blatantly empty, just like schools figure to be.
    Benjy Sarlin of MSNBC (a former high school classmate of mine, incidentally) wrote about how the question of when schools reopen may be the most important policy question right now. There are many parents who can't go to work if their children at at home, so there's a major effect on the economy. There is also the downside of kids losing more access to in-person instruction after schools have been closed for months.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...sroom-n1232039

Sarlin thinks that Trump has really misfired, by making this a partisan issue, incentivizing the left to go against Trump, who is also countering CDC messaging on the issue.

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/stat...21900051128320
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    That graphic:

I'll add that Carlson called Sen. Tammy Duckworth a "coward" for not debating him.

The heir to the Vanderbilt fortune just called a veteran who lost her legs defending this country a "coward". If he wants to protect this nation's heritage she should f*** off of the airwaves forever.

This is a new low, even for Fox News.
    Vanderbilt is Anderson Cooper. Carlson is frozen fish.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Astonishing Member

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...erate-statues/

Just to further put the lie to 'It's about preserving history!'

Lt. Col. Vindman is retiring from the US Army after 21+ years because he determined his future "will forever be limited" due to retaliation by Trump and his allies. Vindman endured a "campaign of bullying, intimidation, and retaliation," his attorney said.

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Benjy Sarlin of MSNBC (a former high school classmate of mine, incidentally) wrote about how the question of when schools reopen may be the most important policy question right now. There are many parents who can't go to work if their children at at home, so there's a major effect on the economy. There is also the downside of kids losing more access to in-person instruction after schools have been closed for months.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...sroom-n1232039
    Look, I understand that parents are hamstrung if they can't go to work if their kids are stuck at home, and that kids aren't getting the full schooling experience while at home, I get all that. But, the virus is still out there, it hasn't gone away, hell, there's still a threat of a second surge of cases, if there's no rock solid guidance to protect kids and teachers if schools are reopened, then nothing changes from the way things are right now.

Sarlin thinks that Trump has really misfired, by making this a partisan issue, incentivizing the left to go against Trump, who is also countering CDC messaging on the issue.

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/stat...21900051128320
    Well, of course Trump made it a partisan issue, he wasn't about to go in any other direction. In his warped world, if you don't kiss his ass, you're the enemy, no compromise, no second chance, no shades of gray.

duplicate post

I'm going to be curious about the enforcement of the law, as there are two competing interests. We want to encourage people to report actual problems, and discourage them from wasting the time of police officers/ escalating situations unnecessarily. There are also going to be some grey areas (drunk & disorderly conduct, etc.) where reasonable people can disagree about whether something is a real emergency.

The name of the act is fantastic.
    Which is why I suggested that other states may wait and watch for a time before deciding to head in that direction. I think it's a very good direction to head in, however, it is a somewhat new idea and implementation could run into a few speed bumps or potholes.

By the end of 2021, assuming that Biden is elected, this will probably spread through the country or it might be made national.