Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

I don't think picking younger politicians for leadership gets you the results you want. A younger Speaker of the House may base decisions on what will get them the best lobbying jobs thirty years later.
    No, they might not get us the results we want, but a 42-year old Theodore Roosevelt, 43-year old John F. Kennedy, 46-year old Ulyssess Grant and 46-year old Bill Clinton did accomplish a lot of good things, despite some failures on their record.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Bout damn time. Now the question is can Biden get is pick through or do the GOP have enough power to stop or delay it long enough for the mid terms?

That is a legit question I have. Is there a way the GOP can stop this. i am not sure on the nominating rules as such.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Bout damn time. Now the question is can Biden get is pick through or do the GOP have enough power to stop or delay it long enough for the mid terms?

That is a legit question I have. Is there a way the GOP can stop this. i am not sure on the nominating rules as such.
    It is 50 Dems against 50 Repubs. Kyrsten Sinema might vote whoever Joe Biden will nominate, but Joe Manchin? who knows?

In that case, If only Pres. Biden could get Lisa Murkowski or Susan Collins or both of them to his side....

Good question. McConnell is probably, as we speak, looking for a way to block whoever Biden nominates.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Clarence Thomas is over 73 years old and will soon turn 74 this year. So isn't it time for him to retire, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Clarence Thomas is over 73 years old and will soon turn 74 this year. So isn't it time for him to retire, too?
    He wont retire with Biden in the White House. I doubt his wife would let him.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    That's why "Airman" doesn't have quite the baggage that "seaman" has.
    You might say it doesn't have as heavy a load. I mean, on the face of it.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 01-26-2022 at 11:28 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Good question. McConnell is probably, as we speak, looking for a way to block whoever Biden nominates.
    He's probably hoping to stall things until the midterms, when they may pick up enough seats in the Senate for the Republicans to take back control. Then he'll block the nominee until the next Republican president is installed.

We can dare to dream, but short of some kind of health issues that forces him to retire, Thomas will probably hang on to his seat out of spite.

Right now the nominee needs a majority. So 50 Senators plus Harris is enough.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Biden poised to nominate first Black woman to Supreme Court
    "The retirement of Stephen Breyer sets the stage for the president to make good on a campaign promise."
    https://19thnews.org/2022/01/biden-s...rt-nomination/

President Joe Biden is poised to follow through on his campaign promise to appoint the first Black woman to the Supreme Court, as reports emerged Wednesday that Justice Stephen Breyer was set to retire.

Black women constitute just about 3 percent of the federal judiciary, and none has ever been nominated to the Supreme Court, prompting a growing push from advocacy groups for Biden to fulfill what they see as long overdue.
    I'm seeing Harris' name being suggested in a few places already.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Biden poised to nominate first Black woman to Supreme Court
    "The retirement of Stephen Breyer sets the stage for the president to make good on a campaign promise."
    https://19thnews.org/2022/01/biden-s...rt-nomination/

I'm seeing Harris' name being suggested in a few places already.
    If the former president Taft (previously a judge) can become the Chief Justice, why can't she join the Supreme Court?

A lot of politicians without judicial experience including Earl Warren (who was never a judge until the SCOTUS nomination) have been appointed to serve on the Supreme Court.

Astonishing Member

They should not have a problem getting it through. Manchin and or Sinema have no cover for allowing this to get to midterm. They would have to switch parties at that point

If the former president Taft (previously a judge) can become the Chief Justice, why can't she join the Supreme Court?

A lot of politicians without judicial experience including Earl Warren (who was never a judge until the SCOTUS nomination) have been appointed to serve on the Supreme Court.
    I think it's more that she wouldn't want to give up the chance to be President, though the vote would be messy.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 01-26-2022 at 02:40 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets