Page 182 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 821321721781791801811821831841851861922322826821182 ... LastLast
Results 2,716 to 2,730 of 75153
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Exactly.

It's one thing for the outfits who head up an Auto Zone/Target/Family Dollar make a "Dollars And Cents..." call about rebuilding. It's a whole other thing when a minority-owned small business has to even think about dealing with what they will have to just to get back up and running.

If you are a part of putting them into that position? You need to at least consider that you might have disillusioned someone to a degree that they might not be in a hurry to participate past dealing with just their own business.

In addition to that, it's not like WGN/WGN America have any really important programming that a solid(hopefully...) nightly newscast will be bumping.

Heard the same, but didn't hear anything past that it had supposedly happened. With any luck, it wasn't a serious stabbing.

My brother mentioned that he heard that a protest is set for Batavia tomorrow. Hopefully, it gets it's message across without anyone getting hurt or anything that might crank things up happening.
    I would say that in addition to all of this we really need to work on relationships between minority run businesses and get a way to make it easier for them to start up and expand.

Also the whole thing with WGN is that they had local programs until the 24 hour news cycle cut into it in Various ways.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The noise of the protest isn't the problem... they can be as loud as they want as far as I'm concerned. It's the looting and the burning of buildings that I'm concerned with. That's what will draw Trump and the military onto the streets if it' not resolved.

But certainly it's important that the police get their act together. In an age where everyone has a cell phone, when they're crossing any lines they're hurting themselves.

I've said it a couple times, but there's plenty of stupid going around right now. A few people on both sides are ultimately making everyone look terrible.
    Ultimately it is up to leaders of the movement to deal with rabble rousers, but the police force needs to be changed by us and held accountable for their actions, period.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    His resignation should have been forced years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Step One complete. Next step is to defeat the guy who beat him and flip the seat blue, Randy... who heard complained about King not doing enough to get Trump's wall. Oh boy...
    Well then time to promote Randy's opponent then, and get people out there to show that we need a Democratic in office there.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Steve king lost his primary.
    YESSSSSSS.

https://www.vox.com/2020/6/2/2127846...randy-feenstra

Someone send WBE some booze to celebrate this hopeful profile retirement.
    None of that $2.50 Chuck, either; the good ****. Republicans need to accept that if they want their party to not morph into a grotesque monstrosity, people like Steve King have no place in it in 2020. The conservative movement does have its place at the debate, but not when you keep giving people who go "why aren't whites the superior folk anymore?" credibility.

Trump may have given them the White House, but are they sure they want to embrace weirdos and racists as your backbone?

Here in Indiana, it's mostly chalk, but the 5th district (Hamilton County up to Marion, Indiana) might be the most interesting in giving the lifeless Democratic Party a shot at something to look forward to. I just hope John Zody doesn't **** it up like usual.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    We have been paying for it. Where have you been?

How many riots do we have to have before someone starts working on fixing our police forces?

How many black men have died INCLUDING my COUSIN because of some cop that should not have been at a job.

I don't condone destroying buildings but as the CEO of Target said-He can replace a store.

But lets not forget how all this started....

A cop killed a black man over a $20 bill by kneeing his neck for almost 10 minutes.

And once again entitled white folks justifying it because they HATE black people.

Same folks who are out there trying to blame everything on black folks by breaking into buildings and looting.

OHHH lets not forget that female dog that tried to LIE and get a black man killed.

Along with the cries to reopen everything because Covid 19 was killing black folks.

Folks are tired.

Folks are tired of how powerful racism has become and how COSTLY it is.
    First, I'm sorry to hear about your cousin.

Second, we do need to think of ways to prevent these people who are protesting from getting others sick should they contract it. It should not have to be an either or situation. I know there was a group in Israel that was protesting against the PM and used parking lots to keep a safe distance.

Everyone is tired. Hell look at the Philippines. We have **** going on here and the news is not touching on how Duarte is literally turning any form of protest into a form of terrorism. We do not need that happening anywhere in the world.

I'm sure they didn't.

A lot of people aren't thinking about this aspect of the equation, and that will come back to haunt all of us down the line.
    We need to make sure then that Doctors and nurses are cared for and have the support and supplies they will need.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine says state should review whether officers involved in police-related deaths should be fired, proposes other law enforcement reforms: https://www.cleveland.com/open/2020/...-be-fired.html

Mighty Member

Honestly I don't think I'd be understanding in any context involving crowds of hundreds of people even if the economy opened up earlier. I think even business opening to SOME degree needed to follow some basic social distancing guidelines to help manage the spread. Obviously large protests in the hundreds throws all that out the window.

But in the least the blame would be lessened. You can fault the economy opeing up early and the protests together. It would be both those things instead of one thing. That in the least isn't as bad.
    The blame is on the heads of the police not policing themselves. And the government that would rather send in the troops than address the problem they are marching about. Without those factors none of those people would be out there at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    None of that $2.50 Chuck, either; the good ****. Republicans need to accept that if they want their party to not morph into a grotesque monstrosity, people like Steve King have no place in it in 2020. The conservative movement does have its place at the debate, but not when you keep giving people who go "why aren't whites the superior folk anymore?" credibility.

Trump may have given them the White House, but are they sure they want to embrace weirdos and racists as your backbone?

Here in Indiana, it's mostly chalk, but the 5th district (Hamilton County up to Marion, Indiana) might be the most interesting in giving the lifeless Democratic Party a shot at something to look forward to. I just hope John Zody doesn't **** it up like usual.
    I'm fine with conservative *temperment*. By all means, question what we're doing, if it needs doing. Question the costs and benefits, be skeptical of intervention where none might be needed. All those things are a reasonable point of view to bring to governance.

The conservative movement, however, is none of those things and has no place in governance.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

'Palestinian Lives Matter,' shout Israeli protesters over killing of Iyad Hallak: https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/ori...al-hallak.html

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    I am not talking about the protests I am talking about life. Any officers that stood there watching the officer kill Floyd and did nothing are complicit. The police now protect a murderer. Many an officer has done the same even if not to such a great extent. That's what I am talking about here, when the protest do end the police are still covering for the bad ones. The protesters won't be covering for the looters.
    Agreed, they're just as culpable.

As to corvid-19, honestly social distancing is not going to work in the long term as we are no where near a cure. Whether it happens now or in the fall that's coming regardless of what these protesters do.
    Social distancing only works when people do it, it's a life saving measure of an existential crisis with the pandemic. The protests, and other parties like looters and the police, have increased turnout dramatically and be a huge vector for transmission. The protests were badly needed but the shadow of the pandemic will make things much worse - the consequences just haven't occurred yet. The fact that a cure hasn't been found makes this more tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    The blame is on the heads of the police not policing themselves. And the government that would rather send in the troops than address the problem they are marching about. Without those factors none of those people would be out there at all.
    The blame for what the police do is on the police, and the blame for what the protestors do is on the protestors. These are all adults, and are all accountable for the decisions they make.

And in this case, there is plenty of blame to go around from a few bad apples on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    'Palestinian Lives Matter,' shout Israeli protesters over killing of Iyad Hallak: https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/ori...al-hallak.html
    Holy **** what! Damn bastards.

BANNED

George Floyd’s Death Is a Failure of Generations of Leadership
    Policymakers in the 1960s had the answers — give political and economic power to the people — but walked away.

By Elizabeth Hinton - The New York Times

The circumstances that led to the police killings of George Floyd — and thousands of other citizens over the years — could have been avoided if our elected officials in the 1960s had responded to protesters’ demands for socioeconomic inclusion. Instead, policymakers blamed black people for the instability, ignoring the buildup of centuries of racial oppression. They pursued a misguided policy path that has failed to keep communities of color safe for more than 50 years.

The police have long operated as guardians in white and middle-class communities, protecting property from outsiders. But in segregated urban neighborhoods, officials have deployed militarized police forces and expanded the prison system instead of working to address the root causes of the uprisings: mass unemployment, failing public schools, dilapidated housing and the deterioration of basic public goods like clean water.“

I don’t want to flog a dead horse but here it is - the failure of white Americans - Democrat and Republican - to invest in social programs and instead overfund law enforcement.

What’s the solution going forward? Obviously some aspect of the above mentioned, but if real power is to be taken and consolidated, then serious consideration needs to be given to expanding the Supreme Court. The next Democratic president with the Senate can appoint a swag of young, liberal justices that will preserve and protect American society for the next 50 years. Democrats need to stand and fight, for real this time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    I don’t want to flog a dead horse but here it is - the failure of white Americans - Democrat and Republican - to invest in social programs and instead overfund law enforcement.
    Agreed.

What’s the solution going forward? Obviously some aspect of the above mentioned, but if real power is to be taken and consolidated, then serious consideration needs to be given to expanding the Supreme Court. The next Democratic president with the Senate can appoint a swag of young, liberal justices that will preserve and protect American society for the next 50 years. Democrats need to stand and fight, for real this time.
    Nobody knows, that's what people have spent life times trying to figure it out. They have been, fighting "for real" isn't necessarily all it takes to win. Whatever "for real" means. But I do know it won't happen as long as the GOP is a political party in America, that obstacle needs to be removed entirely.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Warren Calls For DOJ Probe Amid Reports Attorney General Ordered Protesters Removed

“These attacks on peaceful American protesters steps from the White House were sickening and appalling,” the Mass. senator said.

Police Shove, Make AP Journalists Stop Covering New York Protest

Journalists have faced aggressive police and protesters during demonstrations across the U.S. over the killing of George Floyd.

Houston Police Chief Rips Donald Trump’s Violent Rhetoric: ‘Keep Your Mouth Shut’

“This is not Hollywood, this is real life, and real lives are at risk,” Chief Art Acevedo told CNN’s Christiane Amanpour.

Trump Called In The Military To Scare Anti-Racist Protesters. They Showed Up Anyway.

Facing threats of violence from police and military, protesters showed up by the thousands in D.C. and around the nation to call for justice for George Floyd.

Senate Republicans Brush Aside Trump Gassing Protesters At White House

“That was a provocation that was created deliberately for national television,” Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said of Monday’s White House protest.

Even Pat Robertson Is Turning On Trump: ‘You Just Don’t Do That, Mr. President’

The televangelist also said the president should be comforting Americans right now.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 06-03-2020 at 01:55 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    George Floyd’s Death Is a Failure of Generations of Leadership
    Policymakers in the 1960s had the answers — give political and economic power to the people — but walked away.

By Elizabeth Hinton - The New York Times

The circumstances that led to the police killings of George Floyd — and thousands of other citizens over the years — could have been avoided if our elected officials in the 1960s had responded to protesters’ demands for socioeconomic inclusion. Instead, policymakers blamed black people for the instability, ignoring the buildup of centuries of racial oppression. They pursued a misguided policy path that has failed to keep communities of color safe for more than 50 years.

The police have long operated as guardians in white and middle-class communities, protecting property from outsiders. But in segregated urban neighborhoods, officials have deployed militarized police forces and expanded the prison system instead of working to address the root causes of the uprisings: mass unemployment, failing public schools, dilapidated housing and the deterioration of basic public goods like clean water.“

The article just echoes exactly what I said earlier about policing in minority communities. After segregation, steps were made to integrate the police but their methods and application is still following the red lines which needs to be addressed. If anything, the situation has been further complicated by putting police behind a wall of protection from any wrongdoing.

The solutions are obviously complicated but one thing is for certain, more prominent people (of all races) need to be vocal about this. Lots of white people genuinely dont know about the origins of these issues and some are far too dismissive of these concerns (which has now boiled over into a full scale riot).

Black people (specifically the descendants of slaves) haven't been given their fair shake in the US over time and the least the people in power can do is listen and address their concerns. Saying black athletes cant protest or black lives matter is racist just exacerbates an already bad situation.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Trump Says RNC Will Pull Republican Convention From North Carolina

The state’s Democratic governor refused to guarantee that tens of thousands of people could gather at an indoor arena, citing the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. I'm sure Ron DeSantis is already slurping Trump to bring the RNC Petri Dish to Florida.

Former Joint Chiefs Chairman Sounds Off On Trump: ‘I Cannot Remain Silent’

“Our fellow citizens are not the enemy and must never become so,” Mike Mullen wrote. Even though I know this is unlikely, some CURRENT members of the Joint Chiefs need to publicly echo Mullen's comments.

I’m A COVID-19 Doctor. Do You Know What I’d Like To See From Our President? Compassion.

“I feel as defeated by our political leaders as I do by the pandemic.”
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!