Page 494 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 3944444844904914924934944954964974985045445949941494 ... LastLast
Results 7,396 to 7,410 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    With the confusion of mail-in ballots, and potential uneven voting patterns there is also the potential for chaos. For example, if Republicans are more likely to vote in-person, and Democrats more likely to use mail ballots, early returns might look like a Trump win even if the eventual numbers favor Biden.

This is an election in which we might all ask the election administrator's prayer “Lord, let this election not be close. Please, please, please let the winners win big.”
    Not to mention that Trump is pretty overt that he will screw with the election to win and the GOP history of suppression.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Intermediary

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    With the confusion of mail-in ballots, and potential uneven voting patterns there is also the potential for chaos. For example, if Republicans are more likely to vote in-person, and Democrats more likely to use mail ballots, early returns might look like a Trump win even if the eventual numbers favor Biden.

This is an election in which we might all ask the election administrator's prayer “Lord, let this election not be close. Please, please, please let the winners win big.”
    lets leave God out of this

Here's Tulsi Gabbard sharing in a transphobic joke with Michael Tracey. <3

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/sta...03721561350144

Meanwhile, in good news: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...rd/ar-BB17KkiF

State Sen. Kai Kahele (D), an active National Guard member, won the primary in Hawaii's 2nd District on Saturday in the race to replace retiring Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii).
    May Tulsi never darken our doors again.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Looking at the NYT article I suppose my favourite choices in no particular order would be...

1. Susan Rice (She comes with a lot of experience especially with foreign policy
    2. Kamala Harris (The obvious choice)
    3. Tammy Duckworth - (A former Lieutenant Colonel who lost both legs in the Iraq War. Wow! That's a stark contrast to a President who was able to duck out of Vietnam)
    4. Gretchen Whitmer - (She's a Governor of a state, which shows she can run things)
    I think the issue the Biden team is facing is that all polling suggests Warren is the smartest choice and helps him the most on the ballot but she’s not the favorite of the higher ups who supported him from the beginning,

Trump promises permanent cut to payroll tax funding Social Security and Medicare if he’s reelected

President Trump pledged on Saturday to pursue a permanent cut to the payroll taxes that fund Social Security and Medicare if he wins reelection in November, a hard-to-accomplish political gambit that some experts see as a major headache for the future of the country’s entitlement programs.

Trump unexpectedly promised the policy action as he signed a directive that aims to help cash-starved Americans amid the coronavirus pandemic. The order allows workers to postpone their payroll tax payments into next year but doesn’t absolve their bills outright — though the president said he would seek to waive what people owe if he prevails on Election Day.

“If I’m victorious on November 3rd, I plan to forgive these taxes and make permanent cuts to the payroll tax,” Trump said at a news conference in Bedminster, N.J. “I’m going to make them all permanent.”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I think the issue the Biden team is facing is that all polling suggests Warren is the smartest choice and helps him the most on the ballot but she’s not the favorite of the higher ups who supported him from the beginning,
    Well, yeah.

The "Business As Usual..." crowd don't want Warren within a country mile of anything she could actually improve or fix.

If part of the goal is to set up the VeeP to run in 4 years Warren isn't really a great choice. Sadly, I think her time was 4 years ago, but it was Hilary's turn so no one in good stead with the party was willing to challenge her.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Most polls show that Harris is the first choice of democratic voters with Warren a close second. Most likely because of their name recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    If part of the goal is to set up the VeeP to run in 4 years Warren isn't really a great choice. Sadly, I think her time was 4 years ago, but it was Hilary's turn so no one in good stead with the party was willing to challenge her.
    I think she would have been cancelled out by Bernie 4 years ago.
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-09-2020 at 09:00 AM.

My thought is that Warren would make a good VP, in 4 years. Whoever ends up the lead Democratic Candidate for President in 4 years, if Biden doesn't run for a 2nd term (I'd be surprised if he did) should seriously consider Warren as VP.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    4 years ago, I think Warren would have done better than Bernie, she'd have split the Bernie vote and also attracted others along a wider spectrum (age, race, social-economic background, etc.)

The only reason why she didn't this time was that the Bernie Voter were so entrenched in the Bernie Movement that they weren't open-minded to other candidates. There are some who started out supporting Bernie but moved away from him. These people had a hard time voting for Clinton, some did, some didn't, but they are the same people who most likely would have voted fro Warren.
    Last edited by Tami; 08-09-2020 at 09:03 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Most polls show that Harris is the first choice of democratic voters with Warren a close second. Most likely because of their name recognition.

Those are two different things. Harris can be preferred amongst Democratic voters overall but also largely overlap with people who overwhelmingly are supporting Biden anyways (Biden won the plurality of Democratic voters). Warren can have less enthusiasm as Harris overall but she has far more in the places Biden and Harris lack and overall adds more to the ticket. There where the data suggests Warren has the advantage. She hits the places Biden and Harris can’t.

It’s like this, Biden won the primary. That would suggest amongst all the candidates he was the strongest overall. So theoretically if you had a clone of Biden he would be stronger independently than any other primary candidates. But if you put Biden and a clone of Biden on a Presidential ticket it actually has zero impact because it’s just a complete overlap.

There’s a lot of data to suggest that Warren was popular with left wing progressives (who may have chosen Bernie over her, but still found her more palatable to other options) and that she was also extremely popular with more modern suburban female Democrats who were not satisfied with Biden and were looking for alternatives.

So the data (which has been consistent) implies that Warren would smooth things over with progressives and moderates who weren’t all in on Biden but would be more amenable to having someone they did have affinity for on the ticket.

While wherever Harris is strong, it’s where Biden already is strong anyways, so it just becomes a wasted opportunity to strengthen a ticket.

And most polling data and anecdotes from sources in the Biden campaign say that is the case and he is very data driven by this.

Spectacular Member Kuro no Shinigami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Oh Trump will mock whoever is going to be VP and he will not care in the least, but mocking Duckworth would be an easy PR victory for Biden, who's already been able to sit back and let Trump make the political ads for him.
    Trump mocked a gold star family. He also mocked John McCain's military service. He won in 2016.

Intermediary

people saying Harris is too ambitious is exactly WHY she should be the pick

it NEEDS to be a non white woman

if you need it explained to you why that is, I don't do unpaid labor to educate mayonnaise jars, you can ask for my *******

Extraordinary Member

Honestly I think that’s fantasy booking. If Biden is a successful President then there is going to be immense pressure for him to run for a second term. And regardless being an appointed VP is not going to stave off Democrats from primarying the VP. Especially since as a VP you know you are likely going into 4 years where the prime agenda is cleaning up Trump’s mess, dealing with a pandemic, and honestly dealing with the economic fallout of both the pandemic. It might just be somebody holding the bag after Biden is sick of a cleaning

Spectacular Member Kuro no Shinigami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    About God-damned time. This needs to happen at every single press conference, because he's always lying about something.
    That is why whatever Trump is saying does not surprise me anymore for the last three years.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    trump finally does something good. He's extending the CAREs Act payment of $600 to $400 a week. I'm sure Nov 3, 2020 had nothing to do with this decision...
    Yeah, it was all business. economy had something to do with decision.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Looking at the NYT article I suppose my favourite choices in no particular order would be...

4. Gretchen Whitmer - (She's a Governor of a state, which shows she can run things)
    Yah, she handled the covid crisis well. Her response kept the covid cases in Michigan below 100k cases.