Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Russian’s economy has been saved until now thanks to the competence of a woman, Elvira Nabiúllina, the president of the Russian Central Bank. But…

https://english.elpais.com/economy-a...e-warning.html
    Yeah, I was being sarcastic.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Clearly this is all about obstruction by Qpublicans. Block any and all efforts to solve the problems with baby formula and domestic terrorism, then blame Biden after said problems escalate. A tried and true scheme straight from the GQP playbook.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Clearly this is all about obstruction by Qpublicans. Block any and all efforts to solve the problems with baby formula and domestic terrorism, then blame Biden after said problems escalate. A tried and true scheme straight from the GQP playbook.
    And then know nothing voters will return the QGOP to power because "Congress" couldn't get anything done. Without any idea who in Congress were the problem.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I expect Cawthorn, a horrible Congressperson, a failed candidate and an around bad guy, to get a 6 or 7 figure media deal from the Right Wing propaganda machine.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I expect Cawthorn, a horrible Congressperson, a failed candidate and an around bad guy, to get a 6 or 7 figure media deal from the Right Wing propaganda machine.
    Agreed, if Cawthorn isn’t on Faux News, Newsmax or OAN a month from now, I’ll be shocked. His days as a politician are probably over, but his second act as a right wing talking head is right on the horizon.

Bush condemns Putin's invasion of 'Iraq' instead of Ukraine
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-61505050

Former US president George W Bush has accidently condemned Vladimir Putin's invasion of "Iraq", before correcting himself by saying he was talking about Ukraine.

Mr Bush made the gaffe during a speech at an event in Dallas, Texas, where he was talking about the importance of fair elections.

He said, "the decision of one man to launch a wholly unjustified and brutal invasion of Iraq... I mean of Ukraine".

Mr Bush was president during the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003 over weapons of mass destruction that were never found.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Bush condemns Putin's invasion of 'Iraq' instead of Ukraine
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-61505050
    I heard, a sad but ironically funny misspeak.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Turkey being a NATO member has always felt weird to me, but now that he's blocking entry of Sweden and Finland it just feels plain wrong. Apparently a country has to be unanimously accepted in order to join, what does it take to be expelled? Or better yet, how many countries would be needed to change the rule from unanimous to a mere majority?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    One of these days someone in the legal profession will find a way to launch a lawsuit against FN, resulting in them either paying a huge penalty and/or forcing TC to humiliate himself with retractions and apologies and/or fire TC as a liability.
    The question with lawsuits is what you want to accomplish. Are there specific things that Fox News did that they should be penalized for? Should any pretext be valid? Is it a bit more complicated (IE- they have a tendency to do some clearly wrong stuff, so we'll look for whatever criminal and legal penalties we can)?

A further principle is that we can't punish people for breaking rules that didn't exist. If we come up with new standards, those apply to Fox News going forward, but not retroactively. The ability to come up with new standards can also be misused, as could any precedent established by using the law in unconventional ways. A further issue with standards is that their lawyers can be effective at guiding them to follow the letter of the law.

One potential hope came from a discussion about why populism was pernicious. Part of it is that populists view some approaches that most of us view as good things (fact-checking, considering context) as suspicious affectations, so there be ways to establish rules that make it harder for Fox News or anyone else to appeal to people looking for comfortable lies.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Got an alert that a grand jury indicted the shooter in the Buffalo supermarket incident.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Turkey being a NATO member has always felt weird to me, but now that he's blocking entry of Sweden and Finland it just feels plain wrong. Apparently a country has to be unanimously accepted in order to join, what does it take to be expelled? Or better yet, how many countries would be needed to change the rule from unanimous to a mere majority?
    It was once a Democracy that has turned into an Autocracy. But we have 3 major bases their we need and misses aimed at Russia. Unfortunately Erdagon is a dick.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 05-19-2022 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Again...

In either one of those instances?

There is a straight up "Set In Stone..." right in the document that they could point to in that situation.
    My point is that overturning Roe v Wade may have unintended consequences for Republicans and Democrats need to remind them of that before they go too far.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Well, apparently Israel decided NOT to investigate the shooting of the journalist Shireen Abu Akleh, saying it would be too 'controversial' in military and Israeli society. The article for this can be found here, but it is behind a pay wall.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Well, apparently Israel decided NOT to investigate the shooting of the journalist Shireen Abu Akleh, saying it would be too 'controversial' in military and Israeli society. The article for this can be found here, but it is behind a pay wall.
    There’s also a article on this subject on the Guardian.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I think that their geographic position played a role in getting to join. They have been causing problems before as I understand, with their conflict with Greece.
    No idea what would it take to change the rules but I don't think they will block it forever. Erdogan saw an apportunity to blackmail, so he's trying to get out of it something for himself. They will probably have to promise him something regarding the Kurds.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred