Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    The cops only get involved after the deed has already been done, so unless you want to institute some kind of pre-crime division, actually preventing sexual assault means setting rules and standards that can effectively deter that kind of behavior, which means clamping down on the kind of stuff that leads to assault before it actually crosses the line.
    The context on the discussion had been about things that occur after the assault, rather than methods of prevention.

I would agree that colleges have a role to play in prevention.

One problem is that they're unwilling to advise women to not drink to excess, because then the officials get accused of victim blaming and rape apologia in a very left-wing political environment.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...pology/280661/

https://slate.com/human-interest/201...onnection.html
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

https://www.marketplace.org/2020/02/...david-malpass/

Good choice for Treasury secretary, probably the most competent to do the job, and a historic pick as well if she is confirmed.

She has her work cut out for her though, I like that she's concerned about the debt to GDP ratio, her first task will be to bring that back down to normal levels once COVID is over.

It's probably unrealistic to get it back to pre 2009 levels within 4 years, but an 80% to 85% gdp debt ratio target would be a good start, if Covid popped the corporate debt bubble, we could possibly be in for a bull market in the coming years...one hopes.

Did... did someone unironically link the epoch times?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    One problem is that they're unwilling to advise women to not drink to excess, because then the officials get accused of victim blaming and rape apologia in a very left-wing political environment.
    Christ, seems like the Trump era has gotten you people too used to saying the quiet part out loud, you need to wet your dog whistle a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Okay, but if these were people in your state that you could vote for, what would you do at that point?

And I know it's not exactly apples to apples, but the idea seems to be that conservatives should be throwing in the towel and voting... democrat, I guess? Like, what do we expect them to do? What would you or I do? What are the options in a (be realistic) 2 party system where the two sides are wildly opposed?
    For some examples, Justin Fairfax remains in elected office despite multiple allegations of sexual assault.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/10/81416...n-for-governor

There was calls for Governor Ralph Northam of Virginia to resign over the blackface scandal.

https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/sta...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
    https://twitter.com/ilyseh/status/10...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

That stopped when it became clear that it might lead to a Republican taking over, because Fairfax was the Lieutenant Governor, and the Attorney General (the next in line) admit to wearing blackface in the past. The next in line was a Republican.

It was convenient for Democrats to call for Northam's resignation with a Democratic Lieutenant Governor, just as it was convenient for Democrats to call for Franken's resignation in a state where the Democratic Governor was able to pick a replacement. In these cases, there isn't much cost for the party for upholding principles in a way that allows them to posture in the future.

The moment there was a potential political cost, they no longer cared about upholding principles.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Christ, seems like the Trump era has gotten you people too used to saying the quiet part out loud, you need to wet your dog whistle a bit.
    The articles are from left-wing news outlets (Slate, The Atlantic) in 2013.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Did... did someone unironically link the epoch times?
    Someone sent it to me I decided to ask if it was serious here. I am not up to all the news circuits like you all are. It's why I come here in the first place. Saying the equivalent of "imagine posting a reddit link" doesn't actually do anything but make you look elitist.

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    Someone sent it to me I decided to ask if it was serious here. I am not up to all the news circuits like you all are. It's why I come here in the first place. Saying the equivalent of "imagine posting a reddit link" doesn't actually do anything but make you look elitist.
    It's the Epoch Times, man. Google alone can tell you how bad it is. Honestly, anyone breathlessly reporting on anything Powell has to say at this point as if it has any grain of truth when she just got done speculating that the governor of Georgia is a communist...

It's actually run by the Falung-Gong and it took a hard right turn to back Trump.

The Epoch Times opposes the Chinese Communist Party,[20] and promotes far-right politicians in Europe,[3][5] and backs President Donald Trump in the U.S.;[21] a 2019 report by NBC News showed it to be the second-largest funder of pro-Trump Facebook advertising after the Trump campaign.[18][22][23] The Epoch Media Group's news sites and YouTube channels have spread conspiracy theories such as QAnon and anti-vaccination propaganda.[18][24][25] The organization frequently promotes other Falun Gong affiliated groups, such as the performing arts company, Shen Yun.[14][21]

One problem is that they're unwilling to advise women to not drink to excess,
    Fucking A) this puts the responsibility solely on women. Fucking B) It excuses men for their actions.

Women should be allowed to drink to excess the same as men without threat of rape. jesus christ. (no one should drink to excess but people do, and we're not curbing that behavior any time soon.)

Has it ever come up that maybe, just maybe, we should tell young men not to drink to the excessive levels that make men think that fucking a blacked out woman is okay? No. No they haven't.

and with that, happy thanksgiving, I'm not doing this today. lol.

It's a bad site. Just bad. Look them up.

The articles are from left-wing news outlets (Slate, The Atlantic) in 2013.
    Yup, Emily Yoffe is SUCH a pinko commie lefty.

She is a signer of A Letter on Justice and Open Debate published in Harper’s magazine.[31] She is a member of the board of advisors of Persuasion.community, an organization that defends the ideals of a free society. For them she wrote, “A Taxonomy of Fear,” which describes the methods of cancel culture and why it must be opposed.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Yoffe

BANNED

For some people, left-wing is a broad spectrum that includes everyone to the left of William Buckley Jr (a former contributor to The Atlantic in fact).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    It's the Epoch Times, man. Google alone can tell you how bad it is. Honestly, anyone breathlessly reporting on anything Powell has to say at this point as if it has any grain of truth when she just got done speculating that the governor of Georgia is a communist...

It's actually run by the Falung-Gong and it took a hard right turn to back Trump.
    I guess I was foolish in thinking we still lived in times where we don't have to google every news outlet to know which are the ones we can ask about on a public forum without getting mocked.

I guess I was foolish in thinking we still lived in times where we don't have to google every news outlet to know which are the ones we can ask about on a public forum without getting mocked.
    Maybe just Google ones making outrageous claims if you've never heard of them before. That said, I don't think my 'mockery' was that severe or serious, but I'm sorry anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Fucking A) this puts the responsibility solely on women. Fucking B) It excuses men for their actions.

Women should be allowed to drink to excess the same as men without threat of rape. jesus christ. (no one should drink to excess but people do, and we're not curbing that behavior any time soon.)

Has it ever come up that maybe, just maybe, we should tell young men not to drink to the excessive levels that make men think that fucking a blacked out woman is okay? No. No they haven't.

and with that, happy thanksgiving, I'm not doing this today. lol.
    I don't think anyone is claiming that the only step colleges should take is to tell women not to drink to excess. The controversy is about whether it can be part of the process. It is absurd that there's pushback against useful advice.

Happy Thanksgiving as well.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets