They could train for years and it'd still be an incredibly difficult shot that they'd miss more often than they'd make. They need to be better at de-escalation in situations where de-escalation is feasible. In situations where there is no weapon, or even if there is one on the person but its not being utilized yet in a threatening manner. But when the person is actively attacking with a weapon? There's a reason you don't see these wild west movie moves and its not because they're simply choosing not to do something that's doable, its because its beyond difficult to the point of complete worthlessness in life or death split second situations. They'd be missing wildly, and even more people would be dying because of it. Its an unrealistic standard to suggest to go for, far easier to say than it is to do.

Time and energy would be much more wisely spent elsewhere. De-escalation techniques, proper take downs and submissions, etc etc.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-22-2021 at 12:10 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Here in Germany, they would be required to first fire a warning shot in the air.

Did the guy do that? I read he shot her 4 times mere seconds after getting there.

There are no requirements for that in the States no. Does that method prove successful for someone attacking? I'm not at all being sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious if it works. Obviously I know it would sure as hell disperse a crowd, just wondering if it works on someone in attack mode.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    Yeah, as far as I see, the police officer did his job here. I think protestors are just shooting themselves in the foot in Columbus. Why is Al Sharpton involved here? If you protest everything, then nobody will take legitimate protests seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Agreed. There cant be a protest every time something happens. It is going to get to the point that cops are going to start second guessing everything and in the heat of the moment that could cost people lives. Could there have been a non deadly way to handle this? Maybe there could have been. I would live to have seen the cop try to restrain or use mace. But at the end of the day I am hoping people do not over react to this. As I said before I dont think there will be charges and after watching the video several times and reading more on this there should not be charges.

There were a lot of people with knee jerk reactions when the news frist broke. Including me. But this is not a case like Floyd or Taylor or the many others.
    The only thing black people like me saw was yet another one of ours gunned down by a white cop----AGAIN! I've talked with friends and neighbors, and one constant was that we don't give a **** about police procedure, or if the cop "did his job" and was justified, none of that matters, there is legitimate anger because this **** keeps happening to us over and over and over. Overreaction? Knee jerk response? HELL NO!! Look, I consider myself to be levelheaded and try not to fly off the handle, but even I'm reaching my limit with this madness which just doesn't seem to end.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The only thing black people like me saw was yet another one of ours gunned down by a white cop----AGAIN! I've talked with friends and neighbors, and one constant was that we don't give a **** about police procedure, or if the cop "did his job" and was justified, none of that matters, there is legitimate anger because this **** keeps happening to us over and over and over. Overreaction? Knee jerk response? HELL NO!! Look, I consider myself to be levelheaded and try not to fly off the handle, but even I'm reaching my limit with this madness which just doesn't seem to end.
    Would it have been better if the other girl was stabbed?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Here in Germany, they would be required to first fire a warning shot in the air.

Did the guy do that? I read he shot her 4 times mere seconds after getting there.
    Would the warning shot rule apply when someone is charging at another person with a knife?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Im not black so of course my reaction was different and will never be the same as yours. I am angry about Floyd and Wright and Taylor but it is not personal for me because I am not black and I understand and get that.

In my view in this case this is not a George Floyd situation. To me the calls for the cop to be fired and charged with murder and people threatening his safety is a knee jerk reaction.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Would it have been better if the other girl was stabbed?
    I dont think that's the point. Legit defensive shooting or not, the emotional toll can still be a bitch, especially given the climate today.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 04-22-2021 at 05:17 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Im not black so of course my reaction was different and will never be the same as yours. I am angry about Floyd and Wright and Taylor but it is not personal for me because I am not black and I understand and get that.

In my view in this case this is not a George Floyd situation. To me the calls for the cop to be fired and charged with murder and people threatening his safety is a knee jerk reaction.
    I can grasp that, but, in my opinion, anger is driving those reactions, who am I to say they're right, or wrong? It's all so damn frustrating, and, in some ways, frightening. The worst legal violation I've ever had in my life were a few parking tickets, still, I worry I might be stopped one night, or even one day while on the road by a white cop with a racial ax to grind and potentially lose my life if I make the mistake of doing something he doesn't like and fills me full of holes. Sounds silly? Not really, not today.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I can grasp that, but, in my opinion, anger is driving those reactions, who am I to say they're right, or wrong? It's all so damn frustrating, and, in some ways, frightening. The worst legal violation I've ever had in my life were a few parking tickets, still, I worry I might be stopped one night, or even one day while on the road by a white cop with a racial ax to grind and potentially lose my life if I make the mistake of doing something he doesn't like and fills me full of holes. Sounds silly? Not really, not today.
    Sadly the world we live in it does not seem silly. I wish I could say different but I cant. not after seeing all of the craziness of the last few years.

Being a felon when I get pulled over by police most of them give me a hard time, they make comments, they demand to search my car and myself, they do threaten me at times, but I have never felt my life was in danger. They are just being dicks for kicks or whatever. So I dont know how you and other black people feel to think your life is in danger every time you get stopped by police.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    The reason it's so unrealistic to expect a cop to shoot to disarm or to stop the suspect from running is that they are taught to shoot to kill. Look at a police firing range. Where are the bullseyes? On the head and the heart. Maybe if cops were trained to disarm or disable suspects instead of using lethal force as a first resort, we might have fewer cases like these.
    Basic human biology works against that.

When adrenaline kicks in, so does a form of tunnel vision. It makes aiming hard enough as is.

What we need is both better training on deescalation and reliable accountability. Both of which would have prevented past questionable shootings, so that people wouldn't have this knee jerk reaction to what appears to be a good shooting.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Here is a list of killings by law enforcement officers in Germany

Lately it has been around half a dozen to one dozen cases a year. Looking into the details, I found this case from last year particularly tragic:

A 36-year old police officer killed both of her daughters with her service pistol, before committing suicide.

Fantastic Member

I hear you. Not black, but I can imagine the fear and frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post

looking at the body cam, I think it was too late for a warning shot. It looked like the other kid was a moment away from being stabbed.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Oh WBE! For Ron's future update.

Just before midnight, DeSantis reveals he’s signed $1 billion tax on consumers https://t.co/XNTyBiyRPs

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    A situation in which a cop shoots a teenager who has a knife and is lunging at another teenager is messier than the initial description of a cop shooting a teenager who was just defending herself.

The officer's life wasn't in danger, but someone else's was.

While 984 people have been shot and killed by police in the past year, how often were the police clearly in the wrong?

I picked a random ten police shootings, the first ten results for 2021.

The one situation in which someone was unarmed, he punched officers, and gave one of a concussion.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/0...ooting-nuuanu/

This would require a change in training and procedure. It will also result in some innocent people dying, which is a messy question, even if we figure it will save more lives in the long term, because more knife-wielding maniacs will survive to get the help they need.

Who has the ability to stop this happening? What are the steps we can take to solve it?
    It isn't though, like I said the guy in the video is correct: there was no reason to shoot this girl...and certainly no reason to fire four times.

I mean, sure if the officer had tried to tackle the girl or something other than unloading his glock at her could he have been hurt, even or killed? Absolutely...but that's part of the job and he signed up for it knowing that.