Page 724 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 22462467471472072172272372472572672772873477482412241724 ... LastLast
Results 10,846 to 10,860 of 75153

I've heard all the srguments about how filling up the judicerary with Ceonservative Judges is going to be really bad for the country. It's obvious that the conservatives have been planning for this day firever.

However, there is a part of me that still feels like this is overblown. I mean, yes we need to have a Blue Tsunami to deal the Trump and undo the damage he and his cult have caused.

Afterwards, I do think there are ways of dealing with the judicary if it get's out of hand.

Horrible things can happen, are happening, but history has shown that these horrible things usually don't last forever. Even dictators eventually die or are run out of office.

I don't know, I guess I'm a little more optimistic than I should be.

Even society evolves. In evolution nature keeps what works for the survival of the species (humans) and gets rid of that which doesn't, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.

Any judge that screws up bad enough will eventually find themselves out of a job, one way or another. If any of these conservative judges begin crossing dangerous lines, there will be push-back.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I've heard all the srguments about how filling up the judicerary with Ceonservative Judges is going to be really bad for the country. It's obvious that the conservatives have been planning for this day firever.

However, there is a part of me that still feels like this is overblown. I mean, yes we need to have a Blue Tsunami to deal the Trump and undo the damage he and his cult have caused.

Afterwards, I do think there are ways of dealing with the judicary if it get's out of hand.

Horrible things can happen, are happening, but history has shown that these horrible things usually don't last forever. Even dictators eventually die or are run out of office.

I don't know, I guess I'm a little more optimistic than I should be.

Even society evolves. In evolution nature keeps what works for the survival of the species (humans) and gets rid of that which doesn't, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.

Any judge that screws up bad enough will eventually find themselves out of a job, one way or another. If any of these conservative judges begin crossing dangerous lines, there will be push-back.
    I appreciate the thoughtful approach here. But, this "how bad can it be really", "things will work out eventually" approach is how we got here in the first place. The first people to be effected by a right leaning "conservative court" pushing their religious beliefs as policy will be the most vulnerable. As always. This isn't a guess. We have seen the position that trumps' s DOJ under Barr wanted the SC to take this year on major decisions and were narrowly thwarted.

They tried to say that LGBT were not protected from being discriminated against and being fired in the workplace. Its a basic idea of equality but our own DOJ said nah and argued for the SC to back them up. Thankfully they lost that argument. But, the aftermath were comments that they would appoint judges in the future that would not be "traitors". So are your fellow American's scared of Barret? Hell yes we are.

Its easy to say if things are bad enough it will work out eventually. When you aren't on the frontlines personally. It might take a bit for you yourself to be effected. Meanwhile the most vulnerable Americans "wait for things to work out".

How long as black people have we been waiting for equality in America? To not be prejudged and over policed? When we are shot in our own homes by police going to the wrong house. After half a year of inaction one officer finally gets arrested not for killing the black woman but for basically not aiming carefully enough cause he hit the walls of other apartments.

Until we actually start caring more before it effects us in particular. When we first see injustice. We will never stop the unrest.

If anything look at what Mitch and the GOP WANT these judges to do. They want them to back up gerrymandered districts. So minorities have less representation. They want them to back up voter suppression laws. They want them to back up limiting access to abortions, with the ultimate goal RoE vs Wade abolished. It might not be the next day or next year. BUt, thats their ultimate goal. And in the meantime the most vulnerable people slowly have their rights halted, or impeded. But, most wont care as they should until it effects them personally. It is why the GOP has power. If people gave a damn. The GOP would be pushed into obscurity as a party for their hateful divisive platform until they abandoned it if they ever wanted power again.
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 09-27-2020 at 06:34 AM.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Did anybody have a war in Eastern Europe on their bingo card?

Fighting erupts between Armenia, Azerbaijan; 2 killed
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Did anybody have a war in Eastern Europe on their bingo card?

Fighting erupts between Armenia, Azerbaijan; 2 killed
    Your link got bleeped by the forum censor.

Was it from AP News?

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Your link got bleeped by the forum censor.

Was it from AP News?
    Yeah, you can easily find it via twitter-
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    I appreciate the thoughtful approach here. But, this "how bad can it be really", "things will work out eventually" approach is how we got here in the first place. The first people to be effected by a right leaning "conservative court" pushing their religious beliefs as policy will be the most vulnerable. As always. This isn't a guess. We have seen the position that trumps' s DOJ under Barr wanted the SC to take this year on major decisions and were narrowly thwarted.

They tried to say that LGBT were not protected from being discriminated against and being fired in the workplace. Its a basic idea of equality but our own DOJ said nah and argued for the SC to back them up. Thankfully they lost that argument. But, the aftermath were comments that they would appoint judges in the future that would not be "traitors". So are your fellow American's scared of Barret? Hell yes we are.

Its easy to say if things are bad enough it will work out eventually. When you aren't on the frontlines personally. It might take a bit for you yourself to be effected. Meanwhile the most vulnerable Americans "wait for things to work out".

How long as black people have we been waiting for equality in America? To not be prejudged and over policed? When we are shot in our own homes by police going to the wrong house. After half a year of inaction one officer finally gets arrested not for killing the black woman but for basically not aiming carefully enough cause he hit the walls of other apartments.

Until we actually start caring more before it effects us in particular. When we first see injustice. We will never stop the unrest.

If anything look at what Mitch and the GOP WANT these judges to do. They want them to back up gerrymandered districts. So minorities have less representation. They want them to back up voter suppression laws. They want them to back up limiting access to abortions, with the ultimate goal RoE vs Wade abolished. It might not be the next day or next year. BUt, thats their ultimate goal. And in the meantime the most vulnerable people slowly have their rights halted, or impeded. But, most wont care as they should until it effects them personally. It is why the GOP has power. If people gave a damn. The GOP would be pushed into obscurity as a party for their hateful divisive platform until they abandoned it if they ever wanted power again.
    I just want to clarify something. My intention wasn't to say that "things will work out eventually". That is not what I meant.

My intention was to say that this situation should not leave anyone feeling hopeless and depressed.

If you want change, you need to struggle and fight for it. Change for the better can happen, and nothing is ever hopeless unless you give up and give in.

Basically, I am tired of feeling depressed and anxious. It is better to believe that positive change can happen and that it's worth fighting for, then it is to give up and say the battle is lost, they won, we're all screwed forever and forever.

Astonishing Member

The Rock Breaks His Silence On Politics For The First Time To Publicly Endorse Joe Biden & Kamala Harris.

The Rock has never publicly endorsed a political candidate before until now. It’s a first for the Rock, but we’re in unprecedented and unpredictable times right now so I think the Rock understands the critical importance of this election. If World War 1 was called the “War To End All Wars” then this election should be called the “Election to end all elections.” This isn’t an election to just decide who’s President for the next four years, but it is also an election to save our Democracy.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 09-27-2020 at 07:13 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

That's it, it's over for Trump.

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    That's it, it's over for Trump.
    I guess the Rock smelled what was cooking.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

And now for something completely different...

In defense of a lawsuit by former Playboy model Karen McDougal Fox lawyers state that you shouldn't believe everything Tucker Carlson says

U.S. District Court Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil ruled on Thursday that McDougal failed to prove that Carlson was accusing her of an actual crime in a way that would back up a defamation claim. The judge said that lawyers for Fox "persuasively" argued that "any reasonable viewer 'arrive[s] with an appropriate amount of skepticism' about the statements" Carlson makes, according to a court filing.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 09-27-2020 at 09:41 AM.

There are worries about voter intimidation, even here in N.J.

In a year when every active registered voter in New Jersey will get a mail-in ballot, some may question whether voter intimidation will be a big issue.

But some people will choose to vote in person using a paper provisional ballot, while others will hand their mail-in ballot to a poll worker or drop it in a ballot box. So voters will certainly be around polling places on Election Day.
    That led to a consent decree that barred the Republican National Committee and the New Jersey Republican State Committee from “ballot security activities” in minority communities “where a purpose or significant effect of such activities is to deter qualified voters from voting.”

The ban enforced by the consent decree lasted 35 years.

In 2016, the Democratic National Committee went back to court asking for the ban to be extended, saying candidate Donald Trump’s calls for election observers to monitor minority communities to ensure the election isn’t “rigged” was a violation of the order.

The request was denied, as a judge ruled the consent decree had not been violated prior to its expiration. Republicans said concerns about voting activities were “baseless.”
    Former Gov. Jim Florio, who lost that 1981 election by a mere 1,787 out of more than 2.3 million votes, said it could happen again.

“Now they have the circumstances that they can utilize the power of intimidation. I don’t think anyone who is minimally objective thinks it’s beyond the Trump people to do something of the sort,” Florio told NJ Advance Media.

“It’s easy to do. Hire people to show up on election day to intimidate people not to participate, and then they don’t participate,” he said.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    When the hearings for Barrett take place, Democrats would be wise to avoid bringing her religious beliefs into play as that would piss off bible thumpers who've moved away from Trump but could return in force for him if it looks like she's being hammered for her faith.
    What should be brought up, directly to Republicans every fucking time the speak publicly, is how un christlike all of their policies are.

Ballistics don't support AG Cameron's claim Breonna Taylor's boyfriend shot officer

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — A Kentucky State Police ballistics report does not support Attorney General Daniel Cameron’s assertion that Breonna Taylor’s boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, shot a Louisville police officer the night she was killed.

Cameron told reporters Wednesday the investigation of Taylor’s death March 13 had ruled out “friendly fire” from ex-officer Brett Hankison as the source of the shot that went through Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly’s thigh, prompting him and Officer Myles Cosgrove to return fire, killing Taylor.

The KSP report says “due to limited markings of comparative value,” the 9-mm bullet that hit and exited Mattingly was neither “identified nor eliminated as having been fired” from Walker’s gun.

Cameron said Hankison had been eliminated as the shooter because the three officers were all carrying .40 caliber handguns, while Walker had a 9.
    But appearing later that night on CNN, Steve Romines, one of Walker’s attorneys, said he had obtained a Louisville Metro Police Department record showing Hankison had been issued a 9 mm weapon as well.