Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    What the F$#$#$?

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...on-gas-in-2017

WHAT

THE

IF this istrue, and it seems it is, WHAT THE FU%$$?
    The prosecution and the Judge that gave that deal are going to have a lot of explaining to do.

Stuff like this is truly disturbing because a lot of nutcases like these go on to commit more heinous crimes.

And there are a lot more of them at large than we know.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Hey man, if you want to stick your head in the sand and pretend that mandating no masking doesn't lead to risker behavior and more outbreaks despite all or reality saying otherwise I won't stop you.
    Same with the racism, if you refuse to see that all the redistricting and voting "protection" laws the right are doing are very obviously racially motivated then there's nothing anyone can do at this point....though it does reflect just as poorly on you as it does the party.
    Not to mention that given his moderator status, he embarrasses and shames the entire website.

I need to step away from this discussion. There's only so much wilful ignorance I can tolerate.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The prosecution and the Judge that gave that deal are going to have a lot of explaining to do.

Stuff like this is truly disturbing because a lot of nutcases like these go on to commit more heinous crimes.

And there are a lot more of them at large than we know.
    Exactly! It was absolutely reprehensible that the guy was basically given a slap on the wrist when a person of color would’ve been tossed in prison and the key thrown away.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Not to mention that given his moderator status, he embarrasses and shames the entire website.

I need to step away from this discussion. There's only so much wilful ignorance I can tolerate.
    I'm not a moderator. I haven't been a moderator for some time.

I told you this in June.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post5566137

I certainly don't think there's anything I've said that would reflect poorly on the site. Adults and anyone mature enough to be allowed onto a discussion forum should be comfortable with discussing serious policy disagreements. I don't think anyone can say that I'm rude in how I articulate my positions.

It is worth noting we don't see moderators on this thread often and that's unfortunate. I'm sure they're well-informed people who have views worth sharing. But they may recognize that people will treat them differently if their actual political views are known, or that there's too high a price to say if someone goes with an ungenerous interpretation of a nuanced position on a sensitive topic.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    It's not about politics, but the economic realities on the ground. As the saying goes, if you build it they will come, and well, we've built up quite a lot of stuff here and they will keep coming to get a piece of that whether you want them to or not. It doesn't matter how cruel or inhumane our border policies are, if people don't have any options to make a decent life for themselves, which again is largely a product of centuries of US foreign policy, then they will take whatever chances they have to in order to find a better life somewhere else. The realities on the ground simply do not suggest that the approach that the Republicans have been advocating for over the last 40 years will ever work, and if it ever did start working our economy would likely collapse from the labor shortage. But I'm sure that now with all the anti-abortion laws in place, all those babies women will now be forced to carry to term can be used to plug the gap in the labor force...

Well when it comes down to it, we all have to make a choice at some point in our lives between doing the right thing, even if it ends up hurting our own personal quality of life, or just remaining willfully ignorant and coming up with all sorts of tortured logic as to why our comfort and convenience is more important than other people's survival. Most Republicans made their choice clear on that a long time ago, and it doesn't bother them in the slightest that what they profess to believe doesn't match up with the reality of their actions. And in fact, most moderate Democrats and even self-styled progressives will have to face this much sooner than we expect, because when the climate crisis starts kicking into high gear and all of the geopolitical conflicts we've stirred up start coming to a head, and we have to face up to the fact that, while we may have considered ourselves the victims, we were actually rather privileged all along and now the REAL victims are showing up to our doorstep begging for help.
    Less people will come to the United States through unapproved means if they understand that it means they'll just be sent home.

If we switch to a system that allows anyone who wants to come here as long as we've got stuff the want, we do have to consider the implications of that. And the people supporting that switch should be open to it.

Hey man, if you want to stick your head in the sand and pretend that mandating no masking doesn't lead to risker behavior and more outbreaks despite all or reality saying otherwise I won't stop you.
    Same with the racism, if you refuse to see that all the redistricting and voting "protection" laws the right are doing are very obviously racially motivated then there's nothing anyone can do at this point....though it does reflect just as poorly on you as it does the party.
    My view on masks was that mask mandates in schools do not seem to be worthwhile. By coincidence another mainstream media outlet covered that question.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...wnside/619952/

Adult masking policies are a different question. That said, I'm open to accepting new evidence and welcome anyone to post articles or sources about the benefits of mask mandates in schools.

Regarding racism, a lot of these arguments about categories and labels which is ultimately a distraction when trying to determine a preferred policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    And when someone who wasn't wearing a seatbelt dies in a car crash, there could be other reasons for the person's death, but we still have seatbelt laws.
    There is more evidence on the effectiveness of seatbelt laws than on mask mandates in schools.

In addition if the goalpost is that I'm wrong if mask mandates in schools are the only reason for Covid spread, I will point out the goalpost if anyone calls me out for a point I haven't made.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Lets take Dan Patrick's reasons-BLACK FOLKS.

Now these are closed schools in Republican centric areas.

Have no polices for masks.

Some are offering virtual for those who have been infected.

A few of those school districts have ONE of each school. Latexo ISD only has 2 schools.

A few others are SHARED by more than one city. Malakoff Independent School District serves 7 cities.

A couple have a population of 500 or less.

It should be noted the black population in those cities range from 17% to NONE at all. So it can't be black folks like Dan Patrick claims.

The law says once there is heart beat-no abortion in TEXAS is allowed. The issue is most women do not know they are pregnant by the 6th week. So it's too late under Texas law.
    I suspect the biggest contributor for Covid spread in Texas is white adults acting stupid. I kinda figured most people here would agree with me on that point.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

I told you this in June.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post5566137

I certainly don't think there's anything I've said that would reflect poorly on the site. Adults and anyone mature enough to be allowed onto a discussion forum should be comfortable with discussing serious policy disagreements. I don't think anyone can say that I'm rude in how I articulate my positions.

It is worth noting we don't see moderators on this thread often and that's unfortunate. I'm sure they're well-informed people who have views worth sharing. But they may recognize that people will treat them differently if their actual political views are known, or that there's too high a price to say if someone goes with an ungenerous interpretation of a nuanced position on a sensitive topic.
    There are policy disagreements and then there are things like the redistricting attempts and voting rights laws which are very clearly racist. I have no problem accepting that people might want a smaller government with less spent on social projects, I have no problem with people saying they think we should have stayed in Afghanistan, or think the withdrawal could have been handled differently, these are points of view that I don't hold and would definitely argue against but I would still respect.

But gerrymandering, making it harder for the poor and minorities to vote, and denying rights to people based on their sexual orientation or gender are not defensible positions. And you defend those points constantly and unequivocally.

Less people will come to the United States through unapproved means if they understand that it means they'll just be sent home.

If we switch to a system that allows anyone who wants to come here as long as we've got stuff the want, we do have to consider the implications of that. And the people supporting that switch should be open to it.

My view on masks was that mask mandates in schools do not seem to be worthwhile. By coincidence another mainstream media outlet covered that question.

Adult masking policies are a different question. That said, I'm open to accepting new evidence and welcome anyone to post articles or sources about the benefits of mask mandates in schools.

Regarding racism, a lot of these arguments about categories and labels which is ultimately a distraction when trying to determine a preferred policy.

There is more evidence on the effectiveness of seatbelt laws than on mask mandates in schools.

In addition if the goalpost is that I'm wrong if mask mandates in schools are the only reason for Covid spread, I will point out the goalpost if anyone calls me out for a point I haven't made.

I suspect the biggest contributor for Covid spread in Texas is white adults acting stupid. I kinda figured most people here would agree with me on that point.
    The proof is in the pudding, school districts in states that aren't banning masks simply aren't seeing the infection rates that schools in states where masking is banned. Again, you can pretend it isn't so or try to weasel out and say maybe it's another factor...but reality is very clear.

The proof is in the pudding, school districts in states that aren't banning masks simply aren't seeing the infection rates that schools in states where masking is banned. Again, you can pretend it isn't so or try to weasel out and say maybe it's another factor...but reality is very clear.
    The Georgia study suggested that when the only difference between districts was that some had mask mandates and some did not, there was no quantifiable difference in results. That's the best evidence we have at the moment. Europe doesn't have mask mandates, and there's no evidence it contributed to outbreaks.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021...uncertain.html

I've covered this before and gone into more depth then.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post5693376

If someone was contrary information, I'd love to see it.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

White People acting stupid, I wonder where it comes from?

Here is one person's opinion on the subject: White People aren't stupid: Note to my white self

Stupidity is a lack of intelligence. Systemic racism is not the product of stupid people. The white businessmen who created slavery in America were cunning, smart. The white politicians who justified slavery did so intentionally. Voter suppression, redlining, segregation, the war on drugs and anti-immigrant policies are all creations of intelligent white people. Most white people are not stupid. They are ignorant.

Ignorance is the decision to ignore certain facts and realities. Slave traders and slave owners had to ignore the humanity of people of color in order to justify slavery. White politicians had to ignore injustices and inequities in order to justify inhumane laws. Those who argue with you about systemic racism will not be swayed by your facts, statistics and studies. It is not that they are too stupid to understand them. They have intentionally chosen to ignore them.

For someone who explains systemic racism to others, you still don’t seem to fully appreciate its origins. Systemic racism is a cleverly constructed system to perpetuate and justify the mistreatment and abuse of people of color. It took hundreds of years to create. The arguments and rationalizations you’re encountering are not the utterances of stupid people. They are the carefully crafted, time tested and well-honed defenses of racism.

This is so important for you to understand. You have been under the false impression that you can quickly and easily persuade ignorant white people of the reality of systemic racism and white privilege. They aren’t stupid. They know what you’re trying to do. They aren’t impressed by your arguments. They couldn't care less about your facts. It is these arguments and facts they have chosen to ignore.
    Willfully ignorant? Stupid to the point of Gullibility? Or just appearing that way to the rest of us while fully aware of what they are doing and the damage it causes?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

In my area we have the 3rd largest school district in the state. They require masks and have not had to close schools so far.

We also have the 4th smallest in the state, they did not require masks, they have been closed for 4 days and will be all of next week because of covid.

The fact is the schools in my area that have required masks have only had 1 shut down. While the schools that have not required masks have had 4. This is in The Tri State area that covers parts of Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana.

Maybe masks dont make a difference but its a Hell of a sample size so far.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/ed...lw-8FSnkxpt7AU

My school is 100 years old now.

DALLAS — A high school in Dallas is preparing to recognize a major milestone.

Booker T. Washington High School is celebrating its centennial in March 2022. Administrators say preparations are already beginning.

Behind the walls of Booker T. Washington High School in Dallas, young artists are hard at work. That’s been the case for the Dallas Independent School District’s arts magnet for nearly 45 years.

When Booker T. Washington High School originally opened, it was the city’s only high school for African Americans.

Students were called the Booker T. Bulldogs. Among its alumni are baseball great Ernie “Mr. Cub” Banks and esteemed playwright Dr. Ted Shine.

“Students walked for miles to come to Booker T. just for the educational opportunities that it presented. So, from its very inception, Booker T. Washington High School has been a pioneer for students throughout the City of Dallas,” Rudes said.

Desegregation changed the dynamics at the school.

In 1976, Booker T. Washington High School became one of the first arts magnets in the country.

As the campus prepares to celebrate its centennial, its overarching theme is "Two Schools, One Story."

“We have thousands of graduates from both incarnations of Booker T. Washington, that have gone on to impact the world in so many wonderful ways,” Rudes said.

The Texas Center for the Book officially designates the campus as a literary landmark December 1. A plaque will be installed in honor of former student and playwright Dr. Ted Shine.

The Georgia study suggested that when the only difference between districts was that some had mask mandates and some did not, there was no quantifiable difference in results. That's the best evidence we have at the moment. Europe doesn't have mask mandates, and there's no evidence it contributed to outbreaks.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021...uncertain.html

I've covered this before and gone into more depth then.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post5693376

If someone was contrary information, I'd love to see it.
    Reality itself runs counter to it. In schools with out masks kids are getting sick and schools are being forced to close and yet in schools where there are masks no such thing is happening. Like I said, you can try and weasel away from it and try to say , "well maybe, it's some other factor..." but reality is very clear on the subject.

BANNED

Are you under the impression that the US is somehow rolling out the red carpet for immigrants to come here now? Unless you're willing to just have border patrol shoot everybody that tries to come in on sight, most migrants would much rather just try to make it here first and then take their chances, rather than go through a convoluted and expensive legal process that more than likely will turn them away. Incidentally, this constant propaganda about the US being a shining city on a hill that welcomes the poor and downtrodden gives immigrants an unduly positive impression of the country, and often instills the entirely unfounded belief that once they make it here they can just appeal to the better angels of the authorities and garner enough sympathy to be allowed to stay. If only we were honest to the rest of the world about what a bunch of cruel psychopaths we really were, maybe fewer people would risk the trip.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    In my area we have the 3rd largest school district in the state. They require masks and have not had to close schools so far.

We also have the 4th smallest in the state, they did not require masks, they have been closed for 4 days and will be all of next week because of covid.

The fact is the schools in my area that have required masks have only had 1 shut down. While the schools that have not required masks have had 4. This is in The Tri State area that covers parts of Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana.

Maybe masks dont make a difference but its a Hell of a sample size so far.

I work for one of the largest school districts in Texas.

We are considered a migrant school district meaning our kids move around WAYYY too much.

Not one school has been closed.

We have 1549 cases with the MOST 126 in one zip code. 75216-a majority black school district.

That zip code is HOME to Barack Obama Boys school-that gets kids from all over the district. How many cases do they have? 1. 2 for the year.
    Booker T Washington that gets kids from all over Dallas/Fort Worth/Plano and other areas. 1 case. They have had 5 all year long.
    City Lab NONE and they are NEXT to the MAIN homeless shelter for Dallas.
    Townview (4 schools in ONE and among the best school in the nation) 15 in all.

We have 14 schools that get EVERYONE from ANYWHERE and Skyline has the most at 55. A school with 6000 students that borders Mesquite. Texas.

So enforcing masks is working for us with 150K+ kids.

BANNED

I told you this in June.
    My apologies. I misspoke.

You are not engaging in serious policy disagreements. You are, as another poster put it, gaslighting. Whether you are aware of that or not, it certainly reflects poorly. But I will admit you are a master at articulating ridiculous points without being rude. Something I am not nearly as accomplished at, clearly.

Also, not being rude doesn't make your comments less offensive.
    Last edited by green_garnish; 09-05-2021 at 02:32 PM.