Page 305 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 2052552953013023033043053063073083093153554058051305 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,575 of 75153
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I whole-heartedly agree that we need to completely overhaul the education system to teach the whole history of the country and world, not just the parts that make white people look good. I admit it's been a few years since I've been in school, but I never learned about things like the Tulsa Race Riots. I didn't even know this happened until I was browsing Wikipedia one day at work. We never learned about Juneteenth. We just glossed over the atrocities committed against the Native Americans. It was never mentioned that Washington had slaves, and I'm sure that the horrors of slavery itself were softened. These things and more need to be taught, but aren't.
    Which is what people are arguing for here, but others are getting butthurt about feminism and cultural Marxism for some reason.

The issue came about originally because someone defaced a statue of Washington, and if more people understood the true history of America then perhaps they could understand why Black Americans wouldn’t want to lionize someone who was a racist and perpetuated genocide and slavery.

Washington et al made the choice to have slavery and kill of the Native Americans.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Oh please, it only took me like two seconds to find this:

Your country's history is every bit as ugly and tragic as ours, and the same is basically true in every white settler colony.
    Looked up the book, a primary text that was immediately recalled and given a public drumming, as it should be.

"Donald Trump’s campaign has blamed “radical protesters’ for frightening away the president’s supporters from tonight’s rally in Tulsa.

hahahahaa! Oh that was quick
    Last edited by Kusanagi; 06-20-2020 at 04:13 PM.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

From Tulsa: The outdoor overflow stage is being take down, because there is no overflow.

At best, there might be around 8,000.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    From Tulsa: The outdoor overflow stage is being take down, because there is no overflow.
    Womp womp!

For some reason my autowronger kept correcting womp to wimp. Still fits.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The inside of the arena where Trump is holding his rally. It's not even half full.

Is Trump 'The Rally is half full' or 'The Rally is half empty' kind of guy?

Twitter Link
    So much for that sellout. I guess Trumpanzees were spooked by the rona and decided to stay away. That’s hilarious!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    Which is what people are arguing for here, but others are getting butthurt about feminism and cultural Marxism for some reason.

The issue came about originally because someone defaced a statue of Washington, and if more people understood the true history of America then perhaps they could understand why Black Americans wouldnÂ’t want to lionize someone who was a racist and perpetuated genocide and slavery.

Washington et al made the choice to have slavery and kill of the Native Americans.
    Truth be told I 've never heard many black people talk about Washington one way or the other outside of historical connotations.

To me he was just one more "founding father" with a history or racism and slave ownership -- no better or worse in that respect than the others.

-----
    "In 1787, Hemings, aged 14, accompanied Jefferson's younger daughter Mary "Polly" to London and then to Paris, where the widowed Jefferson, aged 44 at the time, was serving as the United States Minister to France. Hemings spent two years there. Most historians believe Jefferson and Hemings' sexual relationship began while they were in France or soon after their return to Monticello.

Sally Hemings remained in France for 26 months; slavery was abolished in that country after the Revolution in 1789. Jefferson paid wages to her and James while they were in Paris. He paid Sally Hemings the equivalent of $2 a month. In comparison, he paid his Parisian scullion $2.50 a month, and James Hemings $4 a month as chef in training. The French servants earned from $8 to $12 a month.

According to her son Madison's memoir, Hemings became pregnant by Jefferson in Paris. She was about 16 at the time. Under French law, Sally and James could have petitioned for their freedom, but if she returned to Virginia with Jefferson, it would be as a slave. She agreed to return with him to the United States, based on his promise to free her children when they came of age (at 21).

Hemings' children lived in Jefferson's house as slaves and were trained as artisans. Jefferson freed all of Hemings' surviving children: Beverly, Harriet, Madison, and Eston, as they came of age; they were the only slave family freed by Jefferson. They were seven-eighths European in ancestry, and three of the four entered white society after gaining their freedom; their descendants likewise identified as white.

Of the hundreds of slaves he owned, Jefferson formally freed only two while he was living: Hemings' older brothers Robert, who had to buy his freedom, and James Hemings, who was required to train his brother Peter for three years to get his freedom. Jefferson freed five slaves in his will, all males from the extended Hemings family, including Madison and Eston Hemings, his two "natural" children. Harriet was the only female slave he allowed to go free."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Hemings
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-20-2020 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Bwahaha oh man. That’s rich! Poor little snowflakes can’t handle reality.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Truth be told I 've never heard many black people talk about Washington one way or the other outside of historical connotations.

To me he was just one more "founding father" with a history or racism and slave ownership -- no better or worse in that respect than the others.

-----
    "In 1787, Hemings, aged 14, accompanied Jefferson's younger daughter Mary "Polly" to London and then to Paris, where the widowed Jefferson, aged 44 at the time, was serving as the United States Minister to France. Hemings spent two years there. Most historians believe Jefferson and Hemings' sexual relationship began while they were in France or soon after their return to Monticello.

Sally Hemings remained in France for 26 months; slavery was abolished in that country after the Revolution in 1789. Jefferson paid wages to her and James while they were in Paris. He paid Sally Hemings the equivalent of $2 a month. In comparison, he paid his Parisian scullion $2.50 a month, and James Hemings $4 a month as chef in training. The French servants earned from $8 to $12 a month.

According to her son Madison's memoir, Hemings became pregnant by Jefferson in Paris. She was about 16 at the time. Under French law, Sally and James could have petitioned for their freedom, but if she returned to Virginia with Jefferson, it would be as a slave. She agreed to return with him to the United States, based on his promise to free her children when they came of age (at 21).

Hemings' children lived in Jefferson's house as slaves and were trained as artisans. Jefferson freed all of Hemings' surviving children:[13] Beverly, Harriet, Madison, and Eston, as they came of age; they were the only slave family freed by Jefferson. They were seven-eighths European in ancestry, and three of the four entered white society after gaining their freedom; their descendants likewise identified as white.

Of the hundreds of slaves he owned, Jefferson formally freed only two while he was living: Hemings' older brothers Robert, who had to buy his freedom, and James Hemings, who was required to train his brother Peter for three years to get his freedom. Jefferson freed five slaves in his will, all males from the extended Hemings family, including Madison and Eston Hemings, his two "natural" children. Harriet was the only female slave he allowed to go free."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Hemings
    And I wouldn’t want to speak for you or anyone else, but I can certainly understand if people now take a dislike to Washington.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    And I wouldn’t want to speak for you or anyone else, but I can certainly understand if people now take a dislike to Washington.
    To be fair I accepted that America is a racist country that refuses to come to terms with it's history a long, long time ago.

It's also a relatively young country and it's understandable that it has a lot of growing up to do as a nation.

There's a lot of opportunity (proven most recently by Obama) but racism is such a cancer here that it can even propel someone like Trump into the presidency -- there's an argument to be made that America as a nation embodies both the best and the worst that humanity can be, with Republicans often representing the worst.

That said the next generation probably will probably be a lot more vocal and active in fighting against said racism due to their understanding of technology and immediate access to the hidden information that isn't written in their textbooks.

And they will have both time and numbers on their side.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-20-2020 at 05:18 PM.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Another shot from the rally. Oh boy.

Tulsa Rally at a venue that holds 19K... Trump draws 8,000 tops.

Blames it on imaginary violent counter-protesters, when the reason is obvious... no one came because he botched the Covid-19 response, and we're in June, and it's spiking everywhere so people are scared to come out.

Dumbf*** spoiled his own comeback party, and he's still going to flail at the shadows.

I'd punctuate this post with "SAD", but it isn't, it's goddamned hilarious.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Mighty Member

Finally this vile and reprehensible woman opened her mouth too far. The comments she made towards Marcus Rashford were despicable.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9576041.html

Astonishing Member

At best, there might be around 8,000.
    trump's tweets for tomorrow should be entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Tulsa Rally at a venue that holds 19K... Trump draws 8,000 tops.

Blames it on imaginary violent counter-protesters, when the reason is obvious... no one came because he botched the Covid-19 response, and we're in June, and it's spiking everywhere so people are scared to come out.

Dumbf*** spoiled his own comeback party, and he's still going to flail at the shadows.

I'd punctuate this post with "SAD", but it isn't, it's goddamned hilarious.
    I'd punctuate it with a WOMP! WOMP! Either that or the sad tuba that plays when someone loses on the Price is Right.

Watching television is not an activity.