Page 403 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 3033533933994004014024034044054064074134535039031403 ... LastLast
Results 6,031 to 6,045 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The mainstream media also treats organizations like the Times and the Post with more respect than Fox News.=
    What's the point of this sentence? Fox News are a fucking propaganda outlet. They're not a news source.

Show me the last piece of legitimate journalism, based in fact, that Fox News produced on par with anything from either of the two outlets you mentioned.

You cannot.

I don't like everything either NYT or TWP publish. That's kinda how it goes. But Fox is a disgrace to the word news, and what it used to, and should still stand for.

Also Spider-Man is a liberal democrat.

Extraordinary Member

Fox is also suffering from stuff like firing Shep Smith while still going above and beyond to retain Carlson and others. Something like that will damage even a separated news room’s reputation.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

BANNED

Tom Cotton's op-ed didn't call for war crimes. He was calling for the military to perform the same role it did against anti-integration protesters in the 60s. There is an argument that people with military training will be readier to handle riots safely than the average police force.
    "Anyone who has ever seen a military occupation up close should know how much uglier it can get. That includes Cotton, who on Twitter called for “no quarter for insurrectionists, anarchists, rioters, and looters.” As David French, a conservative writer who is, like Cotton, a veteran of the war in Iraq, pointed out, “no quarter” orders — which mean showing the enemy no mercy, even if they try to surrender — are a war crime."

-Michelle Goldberg, "Tom Cotton's Fascist Op-Ed"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Here's the problem with people like Spidey5640. He doesn't understand that liberals don't think everything printed in the Times Opinion page is Gospel or that the paper can't make mistake. Unlike the followers of the Trump Cult like him, who think every word he says is the absolute truth, or that Fox News is without reproach, unbrainwashed people get there news from a variety of sources and know no single outlet has a monopoly on the truth. So while the Times is one of the more reliable media outlets, they are also an institution that can stumble, like in printing that ridiculous Tom Cotton editorial, or hiring Bari Weiss. They also own up to their mistakes, something Fox nor Trump ever do.
    All true, but even worse I would argue are the stock-standard Republicans, or never-Trumpers, who still allowed this sort of **** to fester in the first place. I mean, just go back to the evil Birther stuff with Obama. Republicans whinge about good faith arguments on the internet... Republicans don't have any good faith. If they did they'd stand up and do something about the wickedness within their own party.

But power is more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    What's the point of this sentence? Fox News are a fucking propaganda outlet. They're not a news source.

Show me the last piece of legitimate journalism, based in fact, that Fox News produced on par with anything from either of the two outlets you mentioned.

You cannot.

I don't like everything either NYT or TWP publish. That's kinda how it goes. But Fox is a disgrace to the word news, and what it used to, and should still stand for.

Fox also got caught photoshopping images from the Seattle protests (I think the CHOP/CHAZ was a dumb idea, but faking evidence undercuts any point you are making), and I remember a supercut of Hannity that showed him condemning stuff Obama did, then immediately showing him praising the exact same thing in Trump. I can't see them as anything other than propaganda at this point.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Trump on Confederate flag: “People love it.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-police-361205

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post

You cannot.

As I noted before, I don't watch Fox News. I will make an educated guess that much of their straight news reporting would be on par with the worst of the Times or the Post, the specific standard you cited.

As for Spider-Man, I agree that if he paid attention to politics, he would pretty liberal given the milieu the character hangs out in (journalism, academia, research, theater) though I don't think there's an obligation to share the ideology of a fictional character.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Fox is also suffering from stuff like firing Shep Smith while still going above and beyond to retain Carlson and others. Something like that will damage even a separated news room’s reputation.
    I hadn't heard that Shepherd Smith got fired.

The reports on it suggest he left of his own accord.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/11/media...ith/index.html
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I know you don’t watch Fox. I was just addressing the lack of respect they’re treated with, and it being fair.

All news has a slant, but Fox go above and beyond.

The Spider-Man comment wasn’t really directed at you.

Meanwhile, the White House is now trying to control the covid narrative by telling hospitals to bypass the CDC and send case numbers to a WH database.

**** these people.
    Last edited by Joker; 07-14-2020 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Fox also got caught photoshopping images from the Seattle protests (I think the CHOP/CHAZ was a dumb idea, but faking evidence undercuts any point you are making), and I remember a supercut of Hannity that showed him condemning stuff Obama did, then immediately showing him praising the exact same thing in Trump. I can't see them as anything other than propaganda at this point.
    There's plenty of hypocrisy all over the media. Examples would be anyone who thought that experience matters when Trump is the Republican candidate but not when Obama was the Democratic candidate, that different standards are relevant to allegations against Kavanaugh than against Biden, that Republican governors should be blamed for COVID outbreaks but we should ignore the much higher death rates in New York and New Jersey when the **** hit the fan there, or that institutional norms matter more when Democrats are in charge than when Republicans are in charge (there will also be many conservative commentators on the wrong side of these issues.)

Hypocrisy is going to be rather prevalent with commentators like Hannity, and also with op-ed writers like Jennifer Rubin.

https://twitter.com/RichLowry/status...81249532870658

I'll note a few potential category errors, in that comparing specific examples of mistakes in Fox News or MSNBC and the Wall Street Journal versus the New York Times doesn't really get to how often the mistakes occur. If one side stretches facts 15 times a day and another does it twice a day, both sides can point out thousands of errors without addressing the serious imbalance.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    "Anyone who has ever seen a military occupation up close should know how much uglier it can get. That includes Cotton, who on Twitter called for “no quarter for insurrectionists, anarchists, rioters, and looters.” As David French, a conservative writer who is, like Cotton, a veteran of the war in Iraq, pointed out, “no quarter” orders — which mean showing the enemy no mercy, even if they try to surrender — are a war crime."

-Michelle Goldberg, "Tom Cotton's Fascist Op-Ed"
    The "no quarter" comments were not in the op-ed, which is going to have a greater precision of language than unedited tweets, or someone speaking off the cuff.

All true, but even worse I would argue are the stock-standard Republicans, or never-Trumpers, who still allowed this sort of **** to fester in the first place. I mean, just go back to the evil Birther stuff with Obama. Republicans whinge about good faith arguments on the internet... Republicans don't have any good faith. If they did they'd stand up and do something about the wickedness within their own party.

But power is more important.
    A majority of Republicans voted against Trump in the 2016 primaries.

The media helped him get ahead by giving him twice as much attention as everyone else combined, something that did not match the vote totals.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/16/u...ree-media.html
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 07-14-2020 at 07:13 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I haven't seen much indication that there's a problem of Native Americans being called redskins by white strangers.
    Some random white guy hasn't experienced it so it doesn't exist.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 07-14-2020 at 07:40 PM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

And dammit, we could’ve have moon colonies by now if we hadn’t wasted all that time and resources on civil rights!
    Really, were it not for Civil Rights, the African American math experts at NASA wouldn't have done the calculations that helped us put men on the moon and get them home.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

In other news that involves racists having to f*** off, Jeff Sessions lost is bid to reclaim his old Senate seat.

November will be Tommy Tuberville, the guy who covered up his Auburn players raping underage girls, versus Doug "I cannot believe my luck in what opponents I get for Senate" Jones.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

News down in Alabama.

Jeff Sessions lost his senate primary race tonight in a huge blowout. He’s finished in politics. Good riddance. But republican candidate Tommy Tuberville is just as awful. We all need to get behind Doug Jones @DougJones and keep the Alabama senate seat for the democrats in 2020!

I think you're responding to a point I didn't make. There also seems to be the implication that in order for someone to have a different view than some of the people here on a controverisal issue, they must be acting in bad faith. There are some troubling implications of that perspective.
    I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a cynical jerk.

The White House Called a News Conference. Trump Turned It Into a Meandering Monologue.

WASHINGTON — In theory, President Trump summoned television cameras to the heat-baked Rose Garden early Tuesday evening to announce new measures against China to punish it for its oppression of Hong Kong. But that did not last long.

What followed instead was an hour of presidential stream of consciousness as Mr. Trump drifted seemingly at random from one topic to another, often in the same run-on sentence. Even for a president who rarely sticks to the script and wanders from thought to thought, it was one of the most rambling performances of his presidency.

He weighed in on China and the coronavirus and the Paris climate change accord and crumbling highways. And then China again and military spending and then China again and then the coronavirus again. And the economy and energy taxes and trade with Europe and illegal immigration and his friendship with Mexico’s president. And the coronavirus again and then immigration again and crime in Chicago and the death penalty and back to climate change and education and historical statues. And more.

“We could go on for days,” he said at one point, and it sounded plausible.
    At times, it was hard to understand what he meant. He seemed to suggest that his presumptive Democratic challenger, former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr., would get rid of windows if elected and later said that Mr. Biden would “abolish the suburbs.” He complained that Mr. Biden had “gone so far right.” (He meant left.)
    Even for those who follow Mr. Trump regularly and understand his shorthand, it became challenging to follow his train of thought.

For instance, in discussing cooperation agreements with Central American countries to stop illegal immigration, he had this to say: “We have great agreements where when Biden and Obama used to bring killers out, they would say don’t bring them back to our country, we don’t want them. Well, we have to, we don’t want them. They wouldn’t take them. Now with us, they take them. Someday, I’ll tell you why. Someday, I’ll tell you why. But they take them and they take them very gladly. They used to bring them out and they wouldn’t even let the airplanes land if they brought them back by airplanes. They wouldn’t let the buses into their country. They said we don’t want them. Said no, but they entered our country illegally and they’re murderers, they’re killers in some cases.”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.