BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Should the Secret Service and the Capitol Police be renamed?
    I don't think it's necessary but got no strong opinion for or against.

Secret Service sounds too much like something Putin or Hitler might have had, and the Capitol Police, according to news reports, believe they need to be treated less like Municipal police and more like, well, the Secret Service. That they need access to info regarding threats and so on.
    Capitol Police being treated like the Secret Service in terms of funding and prestige isn't a bad idea. Obviously the Capitol Police need better support but I am not in favor of the militarization of Capitol Police. and Secret Service which is heavy firepower without the overt militarization is a good way to square that circle.

As for Secret Service being something totalitarian-sounding...the fact is the Secret Service originated in the 19th Century well before Hitler (originally tasked with policing tax fraud, which is apparently still a side-hustle for them), so it escapes those associations in my view. And unlike Hitler and Putin, the US Secret Service avoids the overt militarized look.

I was thinking something more like the Executive Security Service or the Executive Protective Service, and the Capital Protective Service or the Capital Security Service.
    Don't have a problem with any of that. I don't think's necessary but as I said got no strong opinion for and against. I just want to avoid overt militarization that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Should the Secret Service and the Capitol Police be renamed?

Secret Service sounds too much like something Putin or Hitler might have had, and the Capitol Police, according to news reports, believe they need to be treated less like Municipal police and more like, well, the Secret Service. That they need access to info regarding threats and so on.

I was thinking something more like the Executive Security Service or the Executive Protective Service, and the Capital Protective Service or the Capital Security Service.
    How about "Kapitol Kops" and "All the President's Men"?

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I want the part where Gaetz goes to jail. All the rest are hors d'oeurves
    I hope he makes a run for it! Hilariously hopes he flees to a country where they'll kick him right back to the FBI loving arms.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    That’s just giving her the attention she wants to raise her status among the base.
    If people ask AOC about Greene her response should just be “Who? Is that someone important?”
    I agree. Giving Trashy Greene oxygen by acknowledging her antics is the wrong way to go, because that will only encourage the psycho bitch to keep up her nonsense. And while Qpublicans are unlikely to expel Madcap Margie from Congress, if they did, that would turn her into a martyr for right wing nutbags and Q crazies to rally around, and that's worse.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I agree. Giving Trashy Greene oxygen by acknowledging her antics is the wrong way to go, because that will only encourage the psycho bitch to keep up her nonsense. And while Qpublicans are unlikely to expel Madcap Margie from Congress, if they did, that would turn her into a martyr for right wing nutbags and Q crazies to rally around, and that's worse.
    ”Ignore the bully until she goes away” is kind of fallacious/impractical. Though “Don’t feed the troll” could cleanly apply here, as MTG keeps switching who she goes after. So it could be someone different, tomorrow, for all we know.

Army captain who spied for Russia sentenced to 15 years in prison

A former captain in the U.S. Army Special Forces who last year admitted to spying for Russia was sentenced Friday to more than 15 years in prison by a federal judge in Alexandria.

Peter Dzibinski Debbins, 46, pleaded guilty in November to the espionage-related charge of conspiracy to gather or deliver defense information to aid a foreign government. He was living in Manassas, Va., before his August arrest, which followed a failed polygraph test, court records show.

“He conspired with the Russian intelligence agents for his entire service in the U.S. Army,” prosecutors wrote in a sentencing memo.

In court filings, Debbins said he was motivated by a combination of familial loyalty, financial opportunity and personal grievance against the U.S. Army. His mother came from the Soviet Union and he described himself as a “son of Russia,” according to court documents, who thought the United States needed to be “cut down to size.”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Man arrested in wife's murder now accused of voting for Trump in her name

A Colorado man arrested this month for allegedly murdering his missing wife has also been accused of voting for former President Donald Trump in her name.

Barry Morphew, 53, was charged with felony forgery and offenses relating to mail ballots, a misdemeanor, according to court records filed Thursday.

He was previously arrested on May 5 on charges of first-degree murder after deliberation, tampering with physical evidence and an attempt to influence a public servant, according to court documents, in connection with the disappearance of his wife, Suzanne Morphew, over a year ago.
    Suzanne Morphew, 49, who shared two daughters with her husband, disappeared on May 10, 2020, near the small mountain town of Salida, in Chaffee County. She has yet to be found.

So when the Chaffee County Clerk's Office received a voter ballot in the mail for the missing person in October, the county clerk reported the alleged voter fraud to authorities, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

The ballot did not have the required signature, but was allegedly signed by Barry Morphew on the witness' signature line on Oct. 15, according to the affidavit.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Am I alone in thinking the end of masking when not even 50% of the people are vaccinated is really, really stupid?

Like the 180 logic behind it is very Trumpian to me.

WTFDIK??
    No. You are not.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post

As with the discussion on whether a writer should be talking about one topic when another is a higher priority, we can do multiple things at once. If we see something small but stupid it doesn't take much energy to point it out, and it doesn't prevent us from expending energy towards other causes. Having a small rock in my shoe isn't as worrisome as a cancer diagnosis, but I can still take a second to pluck it out. And as it's not a mistake or a trendy way to phrase Democratic Party, but a deliberate (if, as I said stupid and silly) attempt to undermine it's worth pointing out that intent for the sake of awareness if nothing else. It might not be of interest to you, but the same could be said of almost any topic for someone. Doesn't undermine the interests of others or require an examination of oneself.
    Again, long story short...

A rock in one's shoe?

Actual issue.

This nonsense?

It is like the sort of garbage that somebody like Ben Shapiro is trying to tell me actually amounts to an issue.

No matter how much folks want to go on about it?

It is a non-issue.

In your example?

It is you trying to tell me that your shoelaces being the wrong color/style is actually an issue.

Which is just impossible to take seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    ”Ignore the bully until she goes away” is kind of fallacious/impractical. Though “Don’t feed the troll” could cleanly apply here, as MTG keeps switching who she goes after. So it could be someone different, tomorrow, for all we know.
    Gotta politely disagree a bit there.

Once you stop just playing hockey and square off with the Hanson brothers to any degree?

The Hanson brothers win ten out of ten times.

There is no version of it that comes out any other way.

Am I alone in thinking the end of masking when not even 50% of the people are vaccinated is really, really stupid?

WTFDIK??
    No you are not alone. What I do not get is why masks even for people with shots, and some people including the CDC were saying multiple masks as of two days ago and yesturday morning were needed but now none at all. Has there been enough data to say that masks are not needed.

And now all the anti maskers are going around I knew masks were not needed. It was all show etc...
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    His father, Ron Paul, is as libertarian as Rand Paul is, so he named him after infamous libertarian author Ayn Rand.
    This does not appear to be true.

His legal name is Randall. He went by Randy when he was younger.

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/wa...d-dad-confirms

WTFDIK??
    You're not alone, but I can understand the policy.

There is a serious risk of widespread noncompliance if people decide that they don't trust the CDC guidelines any more.

Early on, there was less information about how likely vaccinated people are to spread Covid. A few months in, the information suggests that it's really unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    They're afraid that she may run for President a decade from now, so they have to scramble to trick people into hating her without even knowing why the way they did for Hilary Clinton.
    Greene's harassment of AOC is atrocious and unmerited, but I don't think this is part of a grand plan of trying to trick people into hating her.

She's popular with the left, which helps make her unpopular with the right.

She would also likely be a weak general election candidate. There's no indication her views would play well in swing states, and her strategic vision included supporting a primary of Joe Manchin. If that had been successful, Republicans would still have a Senate majority.

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    I doubt it. It might boost vaccination rates marginally, but unless they have the supplies necessary to handle the influx of vaccinations by the May 26 deadline, most of the prizes will likely go to those who were already going to get or have already gotten the vaccinations anyways.

Who knows, maybe it will pay off. $5 million is probably a relatively small percent of their entire COVID relief package and maybe they were seeing a sharp decline in new vaccination appointments. I'm all for experimenting with small sums of money (as governments go) and seeing what works! ****, I hate when I second guess myself and find myself agreeing with you even somewhat!
    One way to think about it is that it's probably worth $1,000 to Ohio for every person they convince to get vaccinated, so if this lottery stunt encourages 5,000 people to get vaccinated, it'll be worth it.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets