Page 369 of 480 FirstFirst ... 269319359365366367368369370371372373379419469 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,535 of 7191
  1. #5521
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    He clearly has mental issues as well. And yes people will vote for him to fight the establishment, to give a middle finger to "the man". But obviously he wont win. Vanity, sickness, stupidity. With everything serious happening now any of his circle pushing it and coddling the delusion should be cancelled too
    Agreed, my fear is that West might siphon away from Biden just enough African American votes (especially among the young and ill-informed) in crucial states due to his music star status to help Trump. You'd be shocked how many people would vote for a candidate simply because they are a celebrity. Biden needs that Black Voting block to remain intact.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  2. #5522

    Default

    Folks in my social media feed locally have seen her on local news, and she's gotten progressively more deranged since January. At first it was "reasonable concern" and it's devolved into whatever the hell that just was.

    She needs help, legitimately concerned for her. She's a victim of gaslighting by some specific dotard and it's killed her marriage and now driven her to make herself into a subject of public ridicule.

    It's the fate that awaits those who don't reject Trump.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  3. #5523
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    21,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Don't believe it.



    He hasn't even said what he is running as, what his affiliation is. You can't just jump into a presidential election right in the middle. He isn't going to get on any ballots, it's too late for that.
    Anyone who takes that fool seriously as a presidential candidate is just as stupid as he is. I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again, this is nothing more than a publicity stunt to help West sell records. I got no time to waste on that idiot, not when serious problems threatening the country demands serious answers from a serious candidate.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  4. #5524
    Extraordinary Member Malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Freeville, NY
    Posts
    8,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    She's just jealous there's no South of the Border when you cross I-29 into Sisseton.

    I wonder if anyone gets that reference.

    But, lame attempts at humor aside, they were the Confederacy. I don't care much for the "Founding Fathers" logic people try to employ, considering they likely weren't thinking about where the country was going to be 100 years later, not to mention she's defending statues of people who broke away from the Union. As far as we're concerned, they were traitors. Sure, we can discuss the socioeconomic differences, as well as the cultural variants between the North and South which resulted in the Civil War, but at the end of the day, it boiled down to slavery, as the South wanted to expand it's newfound cash crop industries but wanted to use exploitative labor that did not cost them much of anything to do so, and when they were told they couldn't expand the practice elsewhere, they quit and formed their own country. We only started building these statues to remind black people about their place in society since why else would you build statues of losers?
    I got the reference. I remember passing by that place every time my family drove down I-95 for family vacations to Florida.

    https://www.sobpedro.com/
    Watching television is not an activity.

  5. #5525
    Incredible Member 4saken1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    728

    Default

    Hi-larious! Why are these people sooooo easy to punk?

    Militias flocked to Gettysburg to foil a supposed antifa flag burning, an apparent hoax created on social media

    For weeks, a mysterious figure on social media talked up plans for antifa protesters to converge on this historical site on Independence Day to burn American flags, an event that seemed at times to border on the farcical.

    “Let’s get together and burn flags in protest of thugs and animals in blue,” the anonymous person behind a Facebook page called Left Behind USA wrote in mid-June. There would be antifa face paint, the person wrote, and organizers would “be giving away free small flags to children to safely throw into the fire.”

    In the last month, people in the U.S. have started to look more critically at how we deal with race and incorporate anti-racism into our everyday lives. (Maya Lin Sugarman/The Washington Post)
    As word spread, self-proclaimed militias, bikers, skinheads and far-right groups from outside the state issued a call to action, pledging in online videos and posts to come to Gettysburg to protect the Civil War monuments and the nation’s flag from desecration. Some said they would bring firearms and use force if necessary.

    On Saturday afternoon, in the hours before the flag burning was to start, they flooded in by the hundreds — heavily armed and unaware, it seemed, that the mysterious Internet poster was not who the person claimed to be.
    Pull List: Ascender,Birthright,Black Hammer,DC Black Label,Critical Role,DCeased,Deadly Class,Goon,Hellboy,Lazarus,Low,Manifest Destiny,Moonshine,Outcast,Redneck,Sex Criminals,Star Wars,Stray Bullets,Usagi Yojimbo,all Valiant.

  6. #5526
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There's several category errors here.

    While sexism wasn't cool in the 1980s, the view that American military policy should be changed in order to allow women to serve in combat roles, was not an overwhelmingly popular one.

    If you believe that Fox News did something wrong, it would be wrong for liberals to do something similar in the past.

    The Fox News people were criticizing the Dixie Chicks for something they had said contemporaneously. Whatever the merits of the argument, it's not the equivalent of going after someone for things said decades earlier.

    A communications chief at an aerospace company isn't going to be subject to karma based on something Fox News did in the 2000s.
    Alright dude. I'm confused. You're defending (or just asking questions, again) the Boeing guy EVEN after he admitted his point of view is and was wrong. Right-wing people seem to think there's some nefarious, vast left-wing conspiracy to take people down for their thoughts that don't align with "woke fascists." It's just a nonsense. What others have rightly pointed out is that people are being held accountable for their actions, something that right-wingers and Republicans can't seem to get their heads around. You only need to see who is the President or the Senate Majority Leader to understand why.

    Is accountability what really scares right-wing people? Is that what is really "kinda nuts"? Remember, nobody fired this guy. So many right-wing men put in the effort to argue for their identity politics to remain supreme, for their status and privileges to be upheld. Don't dare challenge that. Or you get the (Dixie) Chicks treatment. That's my point. When the finger is pointed back at you it feels uncomfortable, doesn't it? Everyone was happy to pile on the uppity women who were expressing an opinion. Pile on, sorry, I meant "slapped around" as Bill O'Reilly put it.

    This Boeing guy was the subject of one complaint. One complaint. And he didn't defend his actions. He's the communications spokesman for a massive, multinational corporation that would presumably have a lot of female employees, who he appears to believe are inferior, or at least not worthy nor equal to males. The point isn't that women couldn't serve in combat, it was the toxic masculinity reasoning of what men fight for. Its gross.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    A New York Times opinion columnist has called for the removal of statues of George Washington.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/28/o...e-statues.html
    Right on. Why can't we point out the wickedness of George Washington? Oh, it was the style of the time. Righto. There seems to be this view that among right-wingers that if everyone else was doing it then it's okay. It's like saying Robespierre and the Committee for Public Safety were glorious because they toppled the despotic King and the corrupt nobles and clergy (but don't look too critically at all the shitty things they also did.) And not to Godwin this, but it seems like a fair few people would've been goose-stepping in Berlin back in the day because that's what everyone else was doing. Why can't we point out the vicious racism that emboldened white men to fight for "freedom" but then enslave people who had different colour skin?

    White supremacy is a helluva drug.
    Last edited by sammy_hansen; 07-05-2020 at 05:53 PM.

  7. #5527
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Florida reported over 10,000 new coronavirus cases for the second consecutive day. Yesterday's Florida's daily count was over 11,000. Florida's total cases hit the 200,000+ mark.

    This week is not looking good for Florida. Nor will next week, since its governor will still not order a new quarantine.

    Texas is also over 200,000 total covid cases.

    North Carolina, another red state, although with a democratic governor passed both Michigan and Maryland.

    California's infection rate is still high and not declining right now. At this rate CA will catch up to NY. So much for Governor Newsom's leeadership.

    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

    Trump is doing a worse job than Governors DeSantis or Newsom.

    Brazil is already still catching up to the USA, thanks to its equally incompetent president.


    The richest EU countries used to be the worst covid-hit countries. United Kingdom used to have the world's highest coronavirus death toll before USA and Brazil. But now India, Brazil Peru, Chile and Mexico are already into the top ten worst hit nations. Maybe it is because they are some of the poorest countries in the world, don't have a decent health care system and also don't have enough face masks for people. Or some of the people can't afford to buy face masks.

    1. USA
    2. Brazil
    3. India
    4. Russia
    5. Peru
    6. Spain
    7. Chile
    8. UK
    9. Mexico
    10. Italy


    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
    Last edited by Kuro no Shinigami; 07-05-2020 at 06:48 PM.

  8. #5528
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    21,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    Those good ol’ boys aren’t too terribly bright.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  9. #5529
    Extraordinary Member Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    If that nutbag had been black, half a dozen cops wouldÂ’ve rushed into the store and pounded her into paste.
    Possibly but I've also seen a couple of videos filmed by people in the last week meant to prove racism against cops and they were both videos where someone in a store called the police over theft. In once case, the suspect was screaming racism over and over along with every swear word you could think of. The cops were not being baited or goaded. They were responding politely and explaining that, when a call is made, they have to respond and check it out. One cop just sighed when the guy made the racism accusation to passersby for about the dozenth time and had a look on his face like, yeah, this is how it's going to be for a while. But what he did not do is respond in kind or be goaded.

    In the other case, two cops were apprehending a suspect. The guy had one cop down on the ground and was choking him. The other cop, who was black, grabbed the guy and started hitting him to stop him from choking the other cop. He first told the guy to stop resisting and put his hands behind him several times before he hit him.
    Of course, everyone around was screaming police brutality and racism and to stop hitting the guy. You know, the guy who was hitting and choking the other cop.

    Not to even get into the two cops that got fired because they pulled two people out of a car and arrested them after the driver refused to obey the order to stop and tried to run over a cop in front of him.

    The theft video, made by either the suspect or someone favorable to the suspect, cut off before the determination of whether the person was stealing based on looking through the items compared to the receipt.

    So it is indeterminate whether it was legitimate. But this is the other side of the new reality where every single instance of a white cop stopping a black person- or any cop in some situations- is going to be splashed across social media as an example of all racism all the time whether it is or not.

    I don't want to get into "I know some cops" but most are on their best behavior and hate even getting a call that involves any situation where anyone is non-white because they know that, no matter what the situation, its going to be all over social media as racism.

    Which is by no means to claim there is not a lot of racism and in some places way more than others. But it's not most cops. It's certainly the vetting system. If our racist in chief really wanted to de-escalate this situation (rather than fuel it in a last desperate hope to appeal to his true racist core supporters and get re-elected), he would just remove the near-immunity from prosecution that the police have in situations of genuine brutality and racism. But he won't because he's feeding the hate as a last ditch appeal to stay president.
    His name is CAPTAIN MARVEL.

  10. #5530
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I have a gut feeling that he realized people had started digging so he decided to quit over this somewhat minor thing before people find the essay about, say, having sex with underage platypuses.
    It is completely possible that there's something worse going on (either he's done worse things that might come out, or Boeing's going to face all sorts of problems due to the lower air travel post-COVID 19 and/ or the investigations into fatal crashes.)

    But we shouldn't give them that excuse. If the cover isn't a valid reason to dismiss someone, we shouldn't pretend it is, especially since doing so helps either Boeing or its former communications chief obscure a bigger scandal, where the public probably has a right to know what's going on.

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    Alright dude. I'm confused. You're defending (or just asking questions, again) the Boeing guy EVEN after he admitted his point of view is and was wrong. Right-wing people seem to think there's some nefarious, vast left-wing conspiracy to take people down for their thoughts that don't align with "woke fascists." It's just a nonsense. What others have rightly pointed out is that people are being held accountable for their actions, something that right-wingers and Republicans can't seem to get their heads around. You only need to see who is the President or the Senate Majority Leader to understand why.

    Is accountability what really scares right-wing people? Is that what is really "kinda nuts"? Remember, nobody fired this guy. So many right-wing men put in the effort to argue for their identity politics to remain supreme, for their status and privileges to be upheld. Don't dare challenge that. Or you get the (Dixie) Chicks treatment. That's my point. When the finger is pointed back at you it feels uncomfortable, doesn't it? Everyone was happy to pile on the uppity women who were expressing an opinion. Pile on, sorry, I meant "slapped around" as Bill O'Reilly put it.

    This Boeing guy was the subject of one complaint. One complaint. And he didn't defend his actions. He's the communications spokesman for a massive, multinational corporation that would presumably have a lot of female employees, who he appears to believe are inferior, or at least not worthy nor equal to males. The point isn't that women couldn't serve in combat, it was the toxic masculinity reasoning of what men fight for. Its gross.
    To be clear, I do not believe that the Boeing guy being wrong decades ago should be cause for his removal today.

    You seem to contradict yourself when suggesting that he admitted his point of view was wrong, and that he currently believes women are inferior to men. He does seem to admit his error, but also says that he has changed his views.

    I do believe that people should be accountable for their actions, but we have to figure out whether the penalty is proportionate with the offense. Pushing for the resignation of a guy for holding a mainstream political position decades ago is not proportionate, or the equivalent of firing a likely rapist as was the case with Bill O'Reilly.

    We don't know what the political consensus is going to be thirty years from now, and punishing someone in 2050 for views they held now is going to stifle discussion, while also implying that no one is capable of growing in that time.

    Right on. Why can't we point out the wickedness of George Washington? Oh, it was the style of the time. Righto. There seems to be this view that among right-wingers that if everyone else was doing it then it's okay. It's like saying Robespierre and the Committee for Public Safety were glorious because they toppled the despotic King and the corrupt nobles and clergy (but don't look too critically at all the shitty things they also did.) And not to Godwin this, but it seems like a fair few people would've been goose-stepping in Berlin back in the day because that's what everyone else was doing. Why can't we point out the vicious racism that emboldened white men to fight for "freedom" but then enslave people who had different colour skin?

    White supremacy is a helluva drug.
    I think you misunderstood the post.

    Several posters here criticized the Governor of South Dakota for supposedly defending confederate statues. I noted that she didn't actually say anything about that, and that one could reasonably conclude that there is a push to remove statures that have nothing to do with the confederacy, including statues of George Washington.

    The article about the Governor's speech that was referenced on this board has in fact been edited to reflect the error.

    https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...tues-as-effort

    CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story drew too strong a link between the effort to take down Confederate statues and monuments and Noem's remarks. The headline and wording has been changed to more accurately reflect her comments.
    So, this is a case in which Tami, Malvolio, and JDogIndy all responded to an error in an article. I was simply correcting the record, rather than suggesting that no one could have any reason for calling for the removal of statues of George Washington.

    Incidentally, my own view on the matter is that removing statues of George Washington is generally a bad idea, but reasonable people can hold a different view.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  11. #5531
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    107

    Default

    The 2020 United States Senate elections will be held on November 3, 2020
    Including the special elections in Arizona and Georgia, Republicans will be defending 23 seats in 2020, while the Democratic Party will be defending 12 seats. Democrats will need to pick up three or four seats to gain a majority, depending on which party wins control of the vice presidency.

    The Democrats will likely lose Alabama seat unless the Alabamans decide the Republican candidate is no better than Roy Moore.

    Most of the Republican-held seats are in red states. So the democrats have little chance of winning a seat in Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, West Virginia and Wyoming unless their Democratic candidates are as conservative as Joe Manchin.

    I think the Democratic party have a better chance in Colorado and Maine.

  12. #5532
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuro no Shinigami View Post
    Florida reported over 10,000 new coronavirus cases for the second consecutive day. Yesterday's Florida's daily count was over 11,000. Florida's total cases hit the 200,000+ mark.

    This week is not looking good for Florida. Nor will next week, since its governor will still not order a new quarantine.

    Texas is also over 200,000 total covid cases.

    North Carolina, another red state, although with a democratic governor passed both Michigan and Maryland.

    California's infection rate is still high and not declining right now. At this rate CA will catch up to NY. So much for Governor Newsom's leeadership.

    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

    Trump is doing a worse job than Governors DeSantis or Newsom.

    Brazil is already still catching up to the USA, thanks to its equally incompetent president.


    The richest EU countries used to be the worst covid-hit countries. United Kingdom used to have the world's highest coronavirus death toll before USA and Brazil. But now India, Brazil Peru, Chile and Mexico are already into the top ten worst hit nations. Maybe it is because they are some of the poorest countries in the world, don't have a decent health care system and also don't have enough face masks for people. Or some of the people can't afford to buy face masks.

    1. USA
    2. Brazil
    3. India
    4. Russia
    5. Peru
    6. Spain
    7. Chile
    8. UK
    9. Mexico
    10. Italy


    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
    On a per capita basis, the US has a lower death toll than most of the major European countries (with the exception of Germany.)

    https://twitter.com/chr1sa/status/1279497819573776385

    According to your link, the US has a lower per capita death rate than the UK, France, Italy or Spain.

    Deaths are a lagging indicator (typically coming a few weeks after the increases in case numbers), so this may change. But right now, the death rate continues to decline.

    https://twitter.com/COVID19Tracking/...84791752450048
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  13. #5533
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuro no Shinigami View Post
    The 2020 United States Senate elections will be held on November 3, 2020
    Including the special elections in Arizona and Georgia, Republicans will be defending 23 seats in 2020, while the Democratic Party will be defending 12 seats. Democrats will need to pick up three or four seats to gain a majority, depending on which party wins control of the vice presidency.

    The Democrats will likely lose Alabama seat unless the Alabamans decide the Republican candidate is no better than Roy Moore.

    Most of the Republican-held seats are in red states. So the democrats have little chance of winning a seat in Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, West Virginia and Wyoming unless their Democratic candidates are as conservative as Joe Manchin.

    I think the Democratic party have a better chance in Colorado and Maine.
    Democrats do appear to be favorites in Colorado, where they are running a former Governor against the incumbent Senator, and Arizona, where Mark Kelly is the nominee against Martha McSally.

    North Carolina and Maine may be toss-ups, with incumbent Republicans in swing states facing a Democratic wave.

    Polls do also suggest Democrats have a shot in Iowa and Montana (where they've nominated the current Governor after his presidential run went nowhere.)

    http://centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/2020-senate/

    Doug Jones is definitely the underdog in Alabama, but touting an internal poll showing himself competitive.

    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...for-democrats/

    It is worth noting Republicans are less willing to share internal polls.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 07-05-2020 at 07:12 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  14. #5534
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Democrats do appear to be favorites in Colorado, where they are running a former Governor against the incumbent Senator, and Arizona, where Mark Kelly is the nominee against Martha McSally.

    North Carolina and Maine may be toss-ups, with incumbent Republicans in swing states facing a Democratic wave.

    Polls do also suggest Democrats have a shot in Iowa and Montana (where they've nominated the current Governor after his presidential run went nowhere.)

    http://centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/2020-senate/

    Doug Jones is definitely the underdog in Alabama, but touting an internal poll showing himself competitive.

    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...for-democrats/

    It is worth noting Republicans are less willing to share internal polls.
    Yeah, let's not forget South Carolina. I understand a black democratic candidate is running in the election against Lindsey Graham. South Carolina already has one black senator. Will they want another black senator?

  15. #5535
    Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 JDogindy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuro no Shinigami View Post
    Yeah, let's not forget South Carolina. I understand a black democratic candidate is running in the election against Lindsey Graham. South Carolina already has one black senator. Will they want another black senator?
    The thing is, the black senator is a Republican. So, while you have the minority representation, do you have the minority recognition? That's the thing some voters may have a problem with if they feel like he's tone-deaf to their problems.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •