1. #18061
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I disagree with the lockdowns, at least with the way they are being done. What's the point of a city going on lockdown its neighbor is letting the virus run rampant? These lockdowns are just killing people and businesses. They need to do a nationwide partial lockdown and enforce masks.
    Looking at the virus rate on a State by State basis, the lockdowns work.

    Florida - over 8%
    New York - under 3%
    Last edited by Kirby101; 11-26-2020 at 07:18 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  2. #18062
    iMan 42s
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,521

    Default

    Not even just a case of lockdowns work, they work because not everyone has the virus and it has so long outside the body before it dies. So you can segregate people from these areas and people who are infected long enough they can fight through it and the virus can die off in the areas its on. Things like establishment closings at certain times and capacity limits also limits the times and locations the virus can spread. If a carrier finds they can't get into a Wal-mart then they can't spread it in the store. The masks are also to prevent people from spreading the virus via airborne droplets via sneezing, coughing, or even just spit.

    Yes it sucks somebodies favorite shop went out of business but had America taken the threat seriously earlier in the year we wouldn't be having this problem now. Public health is worth way more than someone's favorite dive.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

  3. #18063
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Looking at the virus rate on a State by State basis, the lockdowns work.

    Florida - over 8%
    New York - under 3%
    I think FL makes my point. DeSantis refuses to do a statewide lockdown but Orange County did have a lockdown and they had a spike in July and are seeing a another spike this month.

  4. #18064

    Default

    The quote from April regarding the virus being politicized and red state governors by and large falling in lemming line behind Trump to get innocent people infected and killed:

    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  5. #18065
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I think FL makes my point. DeSantis refuses to do a statewide lockdown but Orange County did have a lockdown and they had a spike in July and are seeing a another spike this month.
    Largely this is because America is hardly having lockdowns. Fauci said it best. Europe saw great results when the lockedown to the tune of 90%. We at best did 50%. Whenever lockdowns stop, it will rise. But right now America is stuck in a pattern of a high floor with Covid and an even higher ceiling and we are doing just enough to go back to the high floor. Colorado has been a hot spot lately and just going outside, everything is still open until 10 and people are still going out, just more remote work

  6. #18066
    Ultimate Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10,380

    Default

    This election has shown we need major reforms to our election systems, including Voter ID laws across the nation, to protect against fraud and rebuild the American people’s trust in fair outcomes.

    Read more about my VOTER Act here: https://bit.ly/SRS_VOTERAct
    Senator Rick Scott on the need to stop people from voting.

  7. #18067
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,624

    Default

    Ya know, if Hillary was president, I wonder how many hearings we'd have about how she allowed the virus to kill any Americans

  8. #18068
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    7,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Ya know, if Hillary was president, I wonder how many hearings we'd have about how she allowed the virus to kill any Americans
    If the Dems took the house in 2018 in the alternate timeline, none.

  9. #18069
    Invincible Jersey Girl Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26,554

    Default

    Alternate Universes Analysis:

    1. 2016 - Clinton wins, but the Republicans keep control of House and Senate for 4 years
    2. 2016 - Clinton wins, but the Republicans keep control of the Senate for 4 years, Dems take control of House in 2018
    3. 2016 - Clinton wins, and (somehow) Dems gain control of House and Senate and hold control for 4 years
    4. 2016 - Clinton wins, and (somehow) Dems gain control of House and Senate, but lose House in 2018 to Republicans
    5. 2016 - Clinton wins, and (somehow) Dems gain control of House and Senate, but lose control of both in 2018 to Republicans
    6. 2016 - Trump wins, but (somehow) Dems gain control of House and Senate and hold control for 4 years.


    Only in Universe 3 might we have seen a continuation of the Obama economic growth, and more than likely there would have been fewer deaths from the Pandemic. However, 2020 would have been a tough race and in all likelihood Clinton would have best a 50-50 chance of a 2nd term due to backlash from the Pandemic and an all out assault by Republicans.

    In Universes 1,2, 4, and 5 Clinton would have had to face hostile Republicans determined to undermine her and slow down anything she tried to do.

    In Universe 6, Trump wouldn't have gotten away with as much as he did, and he would have been held accountable more often. However, Trump would have actively undermined the Democrats and eventually something like the Ukraine incident would have happened. So there would have been a 75% chance that he still would have been impeached, but still only a 52% chance that he would have been removed from office.

    edit: I realize that, if you are a die-hard Republican and/or a Trump Supporter you might not see that much difference between Universe 1 and Universe 6. If you a re a Democrat, the difference is far more dramatic and significant.
    Last edited by Tami; 11-26-2020 at 08:55 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  10. #18070
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    And Mets thinks making it harder for victims to come forward is a good thing.
    Due process and the rights of the accused are important.

    However, it doesn't seem the Obama administrations' Title 9 guidance was great for victims.

    My alma matter thought it meant that the victim should be the prosecutor in disciplinary hearings.

    https://www.lohud.com/story/news/loc...says/23743857/

    There have been cases where there are disciplinary actions for sexual assault where the purported victim says everything was consensual.

    https://reason.com/2017/08/02/studen...t-by-title-ix/

    https://www.thecollegefix.com/athlet...-drop-lawsuit/

    It creates incentives for someone who engaged in morally grey behavior (drunken hook-ups) to accuse the other of sexual assault in order to avoid penalties for it.

    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-abuse/561650/

    There are also people who use the process who sane people would not consider to be victims. A student at the University of Tennessee was told that writing the instructor's name wrong can count as sexual harassment.

    https://reason.com/2016/10/04/u-tenn...-of-sexual-ha/

    Laura Kipnis, a professor who was critical of Title IX has been accused of sexual harassment because of that opinion.

    https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...al-by-title-ix

    I'll admit that I want to make it harder for people offended by a professor's opinion to accuse her of sexual harassment for expressing that opinion.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  11. #18071
    Incredible Member 4saken1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Largely this is because America is hardly having lockdowns. Fauci said it best. Europe saw great results when the lockedown to the tune of 90%. We at best did 50%. Whenever lockdowns stop, it will rise. But right now America is stuck in a pattern of a high floor with Covid and an even higher ceiling and we are doing just enough to go back to the high floor. Colorado has been a hot spot lately and just going outside, everything is still open until 10 and people are still going out, just more remote work
    Republicans would have been rioting in the streets if we had imposed lockdowns as strict as some of the ones in Europe.
    Pull List: Ascender,Birthright,Black Hammer,DC Black Label,Critical Role,DCeased,Deadly Class,Goon,Hellboy,Lazarus,Low,Manifest Destiny,Moonshine,Outcast,Redneck,Sex Criminals,Star Wars,Stray Bullets,Usagi Yojimbo,all Valiant.

  12. #18072
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,603

    Default

    Cherry picking as usual Mets. You care more about the accused than the victims.

    https://www.npr.org/2020/05/06/85173...sexual-assault
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  13. #18073
    Incredible Member 4saken1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'll admit that I want to make it harder for millions of victims everywhere because somebody might, in extremely rare cases, be offended enough by a professor's opinion to accuse her of sexual harassment for expressing that opinion.
    There. Fixed it for you!
    Pull List: Ascender,Birthright,Black Hammer,DC Black Label,Critical Role,DCeased,Deadly Class,Goon,Hellboy,Lazarus,Low,Manifest Destiny,Moonshine,Outcast,Redneck,Sex Criminals,Star Wars,Stray Bullets,Usagi Yojimbo,all Valiant.

  14. #18074
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    7,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Alternate Universes Analysis:

    1. 2016 - Clinton wins, but the Republicans keep control of House and Senate for 4 years
    2. 2016 - Clinton wins, but the Republicans keep control of the Senate for 4 years, Dems take control of House in 2018
    3. 2016 - Clinton wins, and (somehow) Dems gain control of House and Senate and hold control for 4 years
    4. 2016 - Clinton wins, and (somehow) Dems gain control of House and Senate, but lose House in 2018 to Republicans
    5. 2016 - Clinton wins, and (somehow) Dems gain control of House and Senate, but lose control of both in 2018 to Republicans
    6. 2016 - Trump wins, but (somehow) Dems gain control of House and Senate and hold control for 4 years.

    Only in Universe 3 might we have seen a continuation of the Obama economic growth, and more than likely there would have been fewer deaths from the Pandemic. However, 2020 would have been a tough race and in all likelihood Clinton would have best a 50-50 chance of a 2nd term due to backlash from the Pandemic and an all out assault by Republicans.

    In Universes 1,2, 4, and 5 Clinton would have had to face hostile Republicans determined to undermine her and slow down anything she tried to do.

    In Universe 6, Trump wouldn't have gotten away with as much as he did, and he would have been held accountable more often. However, Trump would have actively undermined the Democrats and eventually something like the Ukraine incident would have happened. So there would have been a 75% chance that he still would have been impeached, but still only a 52% chance that he would have been removed from office.

    edit: I realize that, if you are a die-hard Republican and/or a Trump Supporter you might not see that much difference between Universe 1 and Universe 6. If you a re a Democrat, the difference is far more dramatic and significant.
    Even if HRC was President in AU-1, she could have done a lot as POTUS with executive orders, with allocation of budget, with her cabinet picks, with her foreign policy. She would not have pulled America out of the Paris Peace Accords or kneecapped the WHO.

    There's also a major difference between AU-1 and AU-6...McConnell won't be able to confirm his judicial appointments. He can obstruct and keep the seats vacant and so on, but without a Republican in the WH, he can't actually get it confirmed.

  15. #18075
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Cherry picking as usual Mets. You care more about the accused than the victims.

    https://www.npr.org/2020/05/06/85173...sexual-assault
    I care about the victims.

    I believe the victims should go to law enforcement rather than having academics and bureaucrats take over a responsibility that is outside their purview.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •