Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    About this "social ladder"; who gets the final say on who goes where in that, exactly? Cause I know I have and am going to continue to see conflicting opinions with their respective justifications on that throughout the web. In a world where people across the spectrum down to the individual feel like "the underdog", that's an argument where ground won't be given easily.
    It doesn't have to be any list set in stone. Sometimes, one group of people gets to be more priviledged or more oppressed than other, another time it can change, depending on the topic or what country you are talking about. But sadly, the trans community is almost universally shitted on, all around the World, with maybe some exceptions like San Francisco. Particularly trans women of color (hell, sometimes even within the larger LGBT+ community). I didn't think that was up for questioning, the statistics of them being the most common victims of violence and murder have been mentioned here many times.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

GA GOP Gov candidate Kandiss Taylor today: “We’re gonna do a political rally and we’re gonna honor Jesus .. They’re not gonna tell us ‘separation of church and state.’ We are the church! We run this state! .. The church runs the state of Georgia!”
    Twitter Link
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    It doesn't have to be any list set in stone. Sometimes, one group of people gets to be more priviledged or more oppressed than other, another time it can change, depending on the topic or what country you are talking about. But sadly, the trans community is almost universally shitted on, all around the World, with maybe some exceptions like San Francisco. Particularly trans women of color (hell, sometimes even within the larger LGBT+ community). I didn't think that was up for questioning, the statistics of them being the most common victims of violence and murder have been mentioned here many times.
    I don't like getting into a pissing contest as to which group has been oppressed the most. As far as I'm concerned, every group has some absurdities within the group, and those absurdities are worthy of being joked about. For instance, if as a white guy, I make fun of the fact that so many rappers, most of whom are Black, have a tendency to refer to themselves in the third person in their songs, am I punching down?
    Watching television is not an activity.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Well, if that’s the case, then the Church needs to start paying taxes.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

GA GOP Gov candidate Kandiss Taylor today: “We’re gonna do a political rally and we’re gonna honor Jesus .. They’re not gonna tell us ‘separation of church and state.’ We are the church! We run this state! .. The church runs the state of Georgia!”
    Twitter Link
    Not much of a shock there...

To plenty of Americans?

I'd imagine that "Prohibiting The Free Exercise Thereof..." doesn't really stop at political activism or holding political office.

This is what the rightwing wants. A theocracy that they control.

Mighty Member

That goes both ways. If people should only come to a stand-up comedy if they are ready to feel insulted, then people should also only come to a discussion about politics if they are ready to be called on their arguments.

If we go with the theory that people who attack those they percieve as weaker then them, either individuals who are physically smaller or minorities, are actually insecure themselves and just need that feeling of superiority because they can't achieve anything meaningful by themselves. Then how insecure does someone have to feel to target the minority that is by all acounts at the very bottom of the social ladder?
    I'm not going to go with that theory. we're talking about a comedian who makes millions of dollars a year. his parents were both successful and well-established people living in Washington D.C. he already HAS done plenty of things that are "meaningful" in the usual sense of that word. this is purely speculation on your part.

I've met a lot of guys over the years where insulting people is basically the ONLY way they know how to make jokes. (two of my three bosses are like this)

there are plenty of stand-up comedians that indulge in this sort of behavior... so, I would argue that even going to a comedy club automatically puts you "at risk"... if not from the comedians, then from the other people in the venue at the very least. when Mister Mets suggests that a comedy club is NOT a good environment for this sort of sensitive person he didn't appear to be making the 'grow a pair' argument to me. maybe I don't know him well enough to read between the lines.

now, people are at liberty to complain about Chapelle and villainize him as much as they want. just don't expect everybody to respond in the same way. for every person that decides to "cancel" the fellow there will be another that decides that they like him even more. some people, who were previously ambivalent, might decide that they admire him because they share his views on a particular issue.

this is why I argued that it would be better to ignore Chapelle instead of asking people to retweeting about his words and behavior as much as possible.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I don't like getting into a pissing contest as to which group has been oppressed the most. As far as I'm concerned, every group has some absurdities within the group, and those absurdities are worthy of being joked about. For instance, if as a white guy, I make fun of the fact that so many rappers, most of whom are Black, have a tendency to refer to themselves in the third person in their songs, am I punching down?
    Seems more a take on a music genre than an ethnic group, as far as I'm concerned. The "in their songs" part seems to only solidify it further.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 05-22-2022 at 06:24 PM.

Mighty Member

"the most common victims of violence and murder"? based on these FBI statistics black men are still the most common victims of murder in the United States... well, that or "Not Hispanic or Latino"... whatever that means.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ta-table-1.xls

now, if transgender people have the highest mortality rate per capita of any category of people then that would make a bit more sense. they do not constitute a social group. they don't have built-in support groups for their way of self-identifying. they are, by definition, outsiders of the most extreme sort. so, yes, I would expect that they are frequently victimized.

even in places where they are not specifically targeted for murder, they can STLIL be targeted for other reasons. even in a supposedly "trans-friendly" country like Thailand it's basically that way too. there is a mandatory draft in Thailand for military service. the tactic of lying about being transgender to avoid military service is so prevalent that everybody who gets drafted (and claims to be transgender, since women are excluded from the draft) is subjected to an invasive and thorough body inspection. trans people will admit that the inspection process is extremely unpleasant and humiliating. so, even in places where it is -officially- tolerated doesn't mean that these people are accepted and embraced by the general public. trans people will explain that people still look at them suspiciously and don't trust them. South East Asia has arguably stronger definitions of gender roles than most modern, industrialized nations. so, it's not a huge surprise.

to put into a bit of perspective: gender dysphoria was classified as a mental illness for years. it wasn't until 2017 or so that the World Health Organization removed it from that category. this isn't the sort of change in conventional wisdom that can be expected to happen overnight.

Oh, look. The people labeling everyone groomers have some problems.

Southern Baptist leaders covered up sex abuse, lied to members about secret database, explosive report shows

https://www.washingtonpost.com/relig...-abuse-report/
    Last edited by Tendrin; 05-22-2022 at 07:50 PM.

Inside the Republican push to stop Trump’s ‘vendetta tour’ in Georgia

Republican governors hatched the plan months ago. Meeting at the desert Biltmore resort in Phoenix in mid-November, they agreed to confront a new threat to their incumbents: Former president Donald Trump was ramping up support for primary challengers as part of what one former governor called “a personal vendetta tour.”

To protect incumbents up for reelection this year, the Republican Governors Association decided to spend millions of dollars in primaries, an unusual step for an organization that typically reserves its cash for general election matchups against Democrats.

“The focus is on 2022. I don’t believe we should spend one more moment talking about 2020,” Republican Governors Association Co-Chairman Doug Ducey said in an interview with The Washington Post. Asked if Trump’s help for his preferred candidates was worth much, the Arizona governor, who pointed to states where GOP governors avoided or defeated Trump challengers, replied: “It hasn’t been to date.”
    The gambit is set to culminate Tuesday in Georgia, where Republican Gov. Brian Kemp is heavily favored to defeat former senator David Perdue in a closely-watched primary. Trump recruited Perdue and made him his marquee candidate in a larger crusade against GOP officeholders who opposed his fight to overturn the 2020 election, which was rooted in false claims about fraud.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.