Page 4993 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 399344934893494349834989499049914992499349944995499649975003 ... LastLast
Results 74,881 to 74,895 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    But reading the full text of what you quoted suggests the Court decided the woman could have an abortion without a court order as long as it was appropriately authorised by doctors.

(“A woman who meets the medical-necessity exception need not seek a court order to obtain an abortion," the court wrote in its decision, adding: "The law leaves to physicians — not judges — both the discretion and the responsibility to exercise their reasonable medical judgment, given the unique facts and circumstances of each patient.")
    I think how it goes is that phrases like "medically necessary" and "life saving abortion" means that the pregnancy has to be ACTIVELY killing a woman to qualify for an abortion, just having a corpse in her guts that COULD kill or cripple her isn't enough. This woman wanted to avoid potential lifelong complications continuing to carry a non-viable pregnancy will cause her, Texas said "No, **** you". Though I could be misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    But reading the full text of what you quoted suggests the Court decided the woman could have an abortion without a court order as long as it was appropriately authorised by doctors.

(“A woman who meets the medical-necessity exception need not seek a court order to obtain an abortion," the court wrote in its decision, adding: "The law leaves to physicians — not judges — both the discretion and the responsibility to exercise their reasonable medical judgment, given the unique facts and circumstances of each patient.")
    Also note they didn't address the threats from the AG, just the judge who tried to stop that.
    Dark does not mean deep.

The ambiguity is the point.

Texas: "We're so pro-life, we'll let you die just because..."
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Texas: "We're so pro-life, we'll let you die just because..."
    Texas: "We're so pro-life, we'll give you the death penalty if you have to get an abortion to save your own."
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dracula View Post
    Yes, I already said that.

I've read this response several times and honestly have no idea how it pertains to what I posted.
    We're never going to be able to persuade anybody even on factual questions where it seems no reasonable individual should disagree, and it's fair to mindful of that, but we shouldn't excuse people for being wrong just because they're entrenched in their beliefs. Whatever grace they get for unconscious reasons to side with Hamas should be similar to the grace given to others looking for unconscious reasons to side with something bad.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Texas: "We're so pro-life, we'll give you the death penalty if you have to get an abortion to save your own."
    Hell of a state. I’m glad I don’t live there, and not just because of the pervasive stench from the Dallas Cowboys. The fact Ken Paxton and the Texas Supreme Court are determined that poor woman deliver what will be a dead baby shows how they’re ANYTHING but pro-life. What purpose does that serve, other than to demonstrate how Qpublicans are obsessed with controlling women and denying them their right to choose.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Incredible Member

The fact that the White House has been silent on this rather than blasting the Texas courts to smithereens is baffling. They don't know how to seize the moment even when it's right in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    We're never going to be able to persuade anybody even on factual questions where it seems no reasonable individual should disagree, and it's fair to mindful of that, but we shouldn't excuse people for being wrong just because they're entrenched in their beliefs. Whatever grace they get for unconscious reasons to side with Hamas should be similar to the grace given to others looking for unconscious reasons to side with something bad.
    Studies have shown that it’s often pointless to attempt convincing someone to change their opinions on a subject they’ve committed to. It can sometimes be done under specific conditions but not reliably. And it’s common knowledge that people who are inclined to believe something are much easier to be convinced of something that lines up with their beliefs, so what you describe is more opinion than fact.
    Aside from that, my original comment was that the photos and videos weren’t necessary and add nothing to Israeli safety and may have the opposite effect in the way I described. Current reports seem to suggest I’m correct.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Special counsel asks Supreme Court to immediately decide if Trump is immune from Jan. 6 prosecution

Special counsel Jack Smith on Monday asked the Supreme Court to immediately step in to decide whether former President Donald Trump has immunity from prosecution for his actions seeking to overturn the 2020 election.

"This case presents a fundamental question at the heart of our democracy: whether a former President is absolutely immune from federal prosecution for crimes committed while in office," Smith wrote in the court filing.

Smith said it was "of imperative public importance" that the high court decide the question so that Trump's trial, currently scheduled for March, can move forward as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    The fact that the White House has been silent on this rather than blasting the Texas courts to smithereens is baffling. They don't know how to seize the moment even when it's right in front of them.
    Democrats, Biden campaign condemn blocking of emergency abortion for Texas woman

Don't mistake silence with the media not wanting to report something.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I guess we’ll see if all those wealthy conservative donors got their money’s worth.

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dracula View Post
    I guess we’ll see if all those wealthy conservative donors got their money’s worth.
    Remember, the first thing a dictator does is lay the groundwork to eliminate any source of power that doesn't flow from himself. This translates into every single billionaire will have a target on their back, until the only ones left owe their fortunes to the tyrant.

Are the guys who purchased the SCROTUS judges smart enough to realize that, or are they dumb enough to think they can control what they set in motion?
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member

President Biden calls out Israel's far right government.

Israel Is ‘Losing Support’ Over the War in Gaza, Biden Says

President Joe Biden warned Israel’s leaders on Tuesday that they were losing international support for their war in the Gaza Strip, exposing a widening rift with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who rejected out of hand the American vision for a postwar resolution to the Palestinian conflict.

Biden delivered the blunt assessment of America’s closest ally in the Middle East during a fundraiser in Washington, where he described Netanyahu as the leader of “the most conservative government in Israel’s history” that “doesn’t want a two-state solution” to the country’s long-running dispute with Palestinians.

“I think he has to change, and with this government, this government in Israel is making it very difficult for him to move,” Biden said.

The president’s remarks came hours after Netanyahu pledged to defy weeks of American pressure to put the Palestinian Authority in charge of Gaza once the fighting ends. Netanyahu ruled out any role there for the group, which now governs Palestinian society in the Israeli-occupied West Bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Remember, the first thing a dictator does is lay the groundwork to eliminate any source of power that doesn't flow from himself. This translates into every single billionaire will have a target on their back, until the only ones left owe their fortunes to the tyrant.

Are the guys who purchased the SCROTUS judges smart enough to realize that, or are they dumb enough to think they can control what they set in motion?
    People like Bezos, Zuckerberg, and Musk may not have to worry, but for the smaller fish it may come down to who did or didn’t donate to his campaign and how much they gave.

I don’t think Trump would be a dictator in the style of Kim Jong Un. I think we’d see something more like Orban or Putin. A “pretend democracy” where conservatives always manage to win the important elections and when a Democrat does win their power is stripped from them.
    In fact, we’re seeing that now in some states.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 12-12-2023 at 04:41 PM.